NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

yeah...a sliding hatch is a good idea. only downside is when you are climing out on top of the cabin top at 3 a.m when it's blowing 40 and you get knocked over the side and the wave goes straight down in through the hatch. i think a horizontal hatch would be to dangerous. your life is more important than righting moment

the only problem with winglets on the keel bulb is that the mini rule book states the maximum beam with keel canted cannot exceed 3m beam and 2m draft(i think) so winglets would penetrate both of those barriers disqualifying the boat

Depends on keel length / cant angle and wing length / angle.

When canted the windward Wings angle would be verticle to stop leeway and the lewward would be horizontal to reduce pitshing. Now that a great idea for you.

yeah...a sliding hatch is a good idea. only downside is when you are climing out on top of the cabin top at 3 a.m when it's blowing 40 and you get knocked over the side and the wave goes straight down in through the hatch. i think a horizontal hatch would be to dangerous. your life is more important than righting moment

Yeah it is important to be alive inorder to finish. But hey sometimes you have to try weird ideas and keep developing them and finding solutions inorder to get a great winning concept.

i get the idea, and i think it is better than canards but it has 2 disadvantages

1-with canards you can lift them while running to reduce drag. with winglets you can't

2-to have them inside the rule 'box' they would be far to small to make a significant difference

i get the idea, and i think it is better than canards but it has 2 disadvantages

1-with canards you can lift them while running to reduce drag. with winglets you can't

2-to have them inside the rule 'box' they would be far to small to make a significant difference

With regard to 1. yes totally agree.

2. No i think if you draw your keel "canted" from the 'FRONT / BOW ON POSITION then saw how long you could put a verticle wing on to the bulb you would see it could be longer than you think. But then you are creating drag that cannot be reduced like the retractable canards do.

JH. you are a switched on young fella and should be approaching a naval architect / yacht designer right now about a trainee position.

And remember not to be constrained by the rules!... innovation and evolution know no rules

i agree with you..to a point. the winglets could be inside the box and still be big enough to have enough lateral resistance but that is while the yacht is level and the keel is canted. nothing can project past that box with the keel canted and yacht heeling. so the winglets would be to big for the maximum beam and draft allowed.

Another thing to consider with your bulb wing idea is the moments of the boat. As it sails it will pitch and yaw around a combination of the center of bouyancy and gravity, which also changes as the keel is canted and the boat heels.

So if you were to imagine that the bulb could be moving around as much as the bow would, the actual likely hood of the bulb foils keeping laminar flow and working would be very minimal.

Regarding the aft raked keel - you can access the cockpit via the quarter berths at a squeez. I looked at this initally with the LE mini, but went for a balanced fin. This allows the same bulkheads to be use for a fixed keel and a canting.

Also note that Chris Sayers boat wouldn't sail to windward on the keel alone.

Keep up the good ideas - it's all gota start somewhere

post-234-141887156192_thumb.jpg

Another thing to consider with your bulb wing idea is the moments of the boat. As it sails it will pitch and yaw around a combination of the center of bouyancy and gravity, which also changes as the keel is canted and the boat heels.

So if you were to imagine that the bulb could be moving around as much as the bow would, the actual likely hood of the bulb foils keeping laminar flow and working would be very minimal.

Regarding the aft raked keel - you can access the cockpit via the quarter berths at a squeez. I looked at this initally with the LE mini, but went for a balanced fin. This allows the same bulkheads to be use for a fixed keel and a canting.

Also note that Chris Sayers boat wouldn't sail to windward on the keel alone.

Keep up the good ideas - it's all gota start somewhere

A certian American AC team experimented with flexible wings for big swells / high pitching boats and found them to actually work like tail fins on a killer whale and actually generate forward momentum when pitching.

They were outlawed very quickly and quitely for some reason?

well, dad is very good mates with him so it wasn't hard to do :wink:

As long as it "floats your boat" it does'nt matter how you do it!

After all it's not always what you know but who you know.

some shots.....

a bit of accom... the new 88?

Mini 950???

should be Midi 950 i think.

what about a mini with a no rules and a max cost of 60k? (reciepts rule only)

some shots.....

Mini 950???

Those kind of rules are the mother of all can of worms. Been trying to do that in F1 and it's just too hard to police.

I think the best way to limit cost is to put maximum numbers on items (1 mast tube, 2 mains, 3 kites per year etc) and make material restrictions (out rule ultra high mod carbon, titanium etc) And you could look at creating bulk supply deals etc. Although i remember that being talked about at some stage.

But at the end of the day, people will spend what they can afford. Just like in F1.

some shots.....

Mini 950???

Those kind of rules are the mother of all can of worms. Been trying to do that in F1 and it's just too hard to police.

I think the best way to limit cost is to put maximum numbers on items (1 mast tube, 2 mains, 3 kites per year etc) and make material restrictions (out rule ultra high mod carbon, titanium etc) And you could look at creating bulk supply deals etc. Although i remember that being talked about at some stage.

But at the end of the day, people will spend what they can afford. Just like in F1.

So its a rich mans sport to race a yacht.

More so now than ever i think.

Archived