NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

What about a classe 950? probably not much different in price to the mini due to the restrictions..

http://www.classe950.com/p/en/laclasse/

http://www.alchemyboats.eu/htm/home_eng.htm

Mini - NZ$80-90K fully charged ready to rock

C950 - NZ$220-240 fully charged.

Excluding w^&#$@r bureaucrat 'design checking' tax.

I've sussed both hard in the last 6 months and could do either for the above coin but feck all less if looking at a fully fired up boat. There is some price cutting 'deals, bribery, blackmail and pure threats of violence' included in the prices.

WT, the C950's have strict rules all designed to stop arms races. But I suppose if you wanted to swap sails, rigs etc every 6 months you could do it so you do have a point there.

What about a classe 950? probably not much different in price to the mini due to the restrictions..

I've sussed both hard in the last 6 months and could do either for the above coin but feck all less if looking at a fully fired up boat. There is some price cutting 'deals, bribery, blackmail and pure threats of violence' included in the prices.

WT, the C950's have strict rules all designed to stop arms races. But I suppose if you wanted to swap sails, rigs etc every 6 months you could do it so you do have a point there.

Yip ya right!

there should be a competition run by YNZ to see how cheap you could build a 650!

Yip ya right!

there should be a competition run by YNZ to see how cheap you could build a 650!

They have to be finished to a Cat 2 standard though....

Yip ya right!

Only if you want to race under a club / class / YNZ... rules.

if anybody can buy a boatand sail out to sea to go fishing whenever and wherever you want! then a bunch of guys can buy / build a "home grown" 650 and go racing under thier own rules.

regulations / rules add cost and do not always contribute to saftey.

I can take my boat out whenever i want with whatever gear i want anytime.

I can set up a "paper yacht club" that is not affiliatted to anybody and organise races for free.

Its about sailing and removing the bullshite costs of regulation

Every weekend hundereds of kiwi's head out to sea in runabouts and are not members of any club. and they get for free the full services of coastgaurd and all they have to fork out is fuel or bait.

People sail from our shores all the time in "races" organised between themselves (cruising events)

sailors can do the same thing and have a class of boats doing the same thing.

The key to cheap sailing / racing is to keep away from "clubs", YNZ, .

all you need is a course, people, boats, air horn, beers and a desire. Why stuff it up with clubs, politics, bulshite and cost?

HAve a great xmas!

950's are supposed to be built to Cat 0.

In the prices I listed everything to Cat 3 is included, which pretty much means close as Cat 1 less liferaft and a few things knot large.

Don't suppose you could drop a couple in your luggage next trip home? :lol:

Yip ya right!

Only if you want to race under a club / class / YNZ... rules.

if anybody can buy a boatand sail out to sea to go fishing whenever and wherever you want! then a bunch of guys can buy / build a "home grown" 650 and go racing under thier own rules.

regulations / rules add cost and do not always contribute to saftey.

I can take my boat out whenever i want with whatever gear i want anytime.

I can set up a "paper yacht club" that is not affiliatted to anybody and organise races for free.

Its about sailing and removing the bullshite costs of regulation

Every weekend hundereds of kiwi's head out to sea in runabouts and are not members of any club. and they get for free the full services of coastgaurd and all they have to fork out is fuel or bait.

People sail from our shores all the time in "races" organised between themselves (cruising events)

sailors can do the same thing and have a class of boats doing the same thing.

The key to cheap sailing / racing is to keep away from "clubs", YNZ, .

all you need is a course, people, boats, air horn, beers and a desire. Why stuff it up with clubs, politics, bulshite and cost?

HAve a great xmas!

And a happy new year

STS, I was reading something out of the US last week which suggests we very well may see a group break away from the current ISAF based system and start their own based pretty much as what you're thinking. Clean simple rules based off the ColRegs and with safety requirements matching the racing rather than 1 size fits all. The thrust was to cut costs and simplify the rules. If it happens it'll be interesting to see the reaction from the current 'establishment'. The word was suggesting anyone involved would be 'banned from sailing' by the powers that be. How they would do that I don't know as it's hard to ban someone who doesn't play on your field I would think. I'll see if I can find it for you.

STS, I was reading something out of the US last week which suggests we very well may see a group break away from the current ISAF based system and start their own based pretty much as what you're thinking. Clean simple rules based off the ColRegs and with safety requirements matching the racing rather than 1 size fits all. The thrust was to cut costs and simplify the rules. If it happens it'll be interesting to see the reaction from the current 'establishment'. The word was suggesting anyone involved would be 'banned from sailing' by the powers that be. How they would do that I don't know as it's hard to ban someone who doesn't play on your field I would think. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Yeah i had heard of that. and would love to see sailing go back to the "pure' form of it.... just about sailing!

i think kids see sailing as to difficult because of everything sailing has become!

Hmmmm, a full carbon Mini, twin boards, carbon wing mast for $90k, your dreaming........ at least with the 950 you could take it away for the weekend! reading the unofficial c950 forum they reckon a 950 for the same price as a top mini....

No knot fully carbon but still right up there to a very competitive standard and NZ built. Yes you can spend 100's of 1000's if you went full carbon and the works as part of a Transat project. But the big questions is, do you need too? Many think you don't and Chris Sayer amongst others have shown that to be indeed the case.

I've spent a lot of time over many years sussing Minis, their racing and the people who race them. I still are very much of the opinion many spend big bucks to off-set a lack of sailing skills. Exactly the same as seen on Akl harbour.

And the Mini price I put up is doing Kiwi style, i.e. lots of owner hands on. That isn't as common in the EU.

The 950 price was priced doing it the same way as the Mini so they are quite comparable. You can spend less on a 950 if you so desired and a Mini also, just as easily as you could spend more.

With the new design check tax building a 950 in NZ has gone from do-able to almost a why bother. Buy one from Europe instead. They are semi-production there now which has brought the cost or held the price down. One from the EU, a good brand new one, would set you back low 200's once landed in NZ. The way you buy a 950 or most Minis in the EU you just couldn't afford to do in NZ sadly.

Does make one wonder why spend the money on a Mini if you can get a 950 for the same.

Front Page SA

follow up

Classe 950-2

950.jpg

I’m writing in response to your post on the Classe 950. My anarchist name is “Charles B” and I’m responsible for the design of the FoX 950 that was launched about 18 months ago. This was the second 950 design to hit the water and was built in Sweden for a German owner. The boat is now sailing and racing between the North Sea and the Baltic. The crew is thrilled by the boat and its performances and who cares if IRC doesn’t like it, what matters is that they have fun. And for sure, they are having fun! The amazing thing with this type of design is their ability to reach thrilling speeds with absolute minimum effort. Thanks to the power of the hull and deep keel, it is possible to make the best use of a generous sail plan (80 sqm) and control is never a problem with the twin rudders. Not bad inside, either.

If some anarchists are interested into this kind of boats (and I’m sure there are some), there is some tooling available in Sweden or alternatively we have plenty of ideas to make an MKII version even better…! So feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Charles Bertrand

12/24/09

Be very interested to know what would be changed the in Mk2 version.

First thing i would change is the two crew who want to sit inboard and not get thier "Arse's" over the side.

Be very interested to know what would be changed the in Mk2 version.

First thing i would change is the two crew who want to sit inboard and not get thier "Arse's" over the side.

Looks like they are just rolling a big joint and will probably be legs over soon.... in more ways than one :lol:

Too costly Stu. We're all setting sail to Noumea in turbo'ed 5.9s.

The deal is that events will coincide with another Y11 on a delivery trip to up there so it can act as a safety boat.

Archived