NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Guest L Yachts

Here is a bit of a run down on the building system for the Leech Mni:

-Set up temporary hull MDF building frames on timber building jig. The MDF frames will be supplied with inter-locking spacers to speed up setup time and allow good accuracy. Any frames that need to be joined to allow good nesting will have dovetail types joins.

-The hull bottom (from chine down) will be stripped planked in cedar (possibly paulonia – need to look at properties)

-The hull topsides are a developed shape so will be gaboon ply which are part of the kit. These will be scarf joined together on a flat floor and then rapped around the MDF frames.

-Fair cedar outside surface and glass all outside surface with e glass laminate.

-Turn over hull and sit in MDF temporary female receiving cradle – supplied in kit. Fair cedar inside surface and glass with e glass laminate.

-Assemble interior structure - all CNC cut plywood panels supplied in kit.

-The cockpit and side decks are all ply and part of kit. Cabin bubble will be built using the same method described above for the hull bottom.

-Keel fin (thinking at this stage) will have a steel spar with foam fairing and glass over foam

- Rudder and Canards blades can be purchased and would be built out of CNC machined molds. Another option is to make your own by shaping up timber core and laminating over, or IGES surface files will be available if you want to get your own molds machined.

CNC machined bulb plug will be available to send around NZ so people to take it to there local foundry for them to make a mold and pour lead.

Every MDF and plywood panel needed to build boat will be supplied in kit CNC cut.

If you are going to have a set of class rules they need to suit New Zealand sailors unless you intend to sail in europe.

The whole idea is to keep costs down so more people can afford them. So maybe a max beam of 2.4 mts so they can be trailered.

PE was built out of 10mm cedar 10 oz cloth on out side and double bias on inside with foam ring frames and 6mm ply deck on cedar deck beams. 2 people could pick her up easily. complete boat cost me round $20,000 thats with canting keel.

Be very keen to see we stick with the mini 6.5 rules. It would be fantastic to see a circuit be developed here on the back of existing races (eg White Island, Auckland to Russell and Noumea) - I'd bet a mini Tasman and a would eventually see some of the Europeans come South to try and take the silverware home. Some good points made above - the box rule makes this class a development class... it means exciting boats which is why I was so easily interested in the class in the first place.

Guest LeoV

In answering CS

qoute:

Building a cheap Serie boat is competitive but may not have a great resale value but what boats do!

Actually serie boats hold their value amazingly well.

IF NZ is like Eu, if you build a minimal camping cruising one (Pogo1, Zero) then only 25% of the sold boats races, if you go more all out racer like Pogo2, still you see only 50% of the numbers racing...rest is for dinghy sailors that needs a cabin for girl and child.... but still want speed...

Its a kind of addictive racing, after racing minis for years, and Class 40 once, Open 60 once, some trips on open 50`s, years on offshore trimaran now life sucks, not many boats can thrill me any more... thats why the average age of the mini sailors is around 35 yrs old. With many old salts still racing, cant get enough of it... Lots of sailors active for a decade or more in the fleet... shows they love it...

[quote name="Tiller"]If you are going to have a set of class rules they need to suit New Zealand sailors unless you intend to sail in europe.
The whole idea is to keep costs down so more people can afford them. So maybe a max beam of 2.4 mts so they can be trailered.
[/quote]

So at the expense of building to an international and fast growing worldwide class rule we limit it to 2.4mts BMax and save maybe 2K, at best, with no other savings or benefits.

I don't see the point sorry Tiller.

So where/when is the Akl meeting?

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching this thread with interest whilst trying to get my account reactivated, and since I have finally figured out how to do that I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I have been really interested in minis for the last couple of years and have done quite a lot of research on them, although it looks like there is still a lot I can learn from some of you that have already posted. I was able to do the North Island race (and the qualifiers) as a bet of a dipping the toe in the water exercise with regards to short handed offshore sailing, and its safe to say that I have the bug. One thing that we realised on this race was that we were not using the right tool for the job and have been looking seriously at getting a mini or a classe 950 or something similar on the water in order to do more of this type of sailing.

It is really great to see that there is this level of interest in minis and I would really like to be involved in getting this off the ground in NZ. I've got a couple of points that I think need to be considered, and although a couple of them are negative (reasons why we havn't taken the plunge yet), please just take them on board as things that should be addressed by anyone taking this seriously, rather than a list of reasons why it will never work.

First up, for all of the reasons mentioned above, I reckon it makes so much more sense to stick with the class rule. Secondly, and what has been the biggest issue that we have seen, is that it seems really difficult to get a mini up to Cat 1/2. Those that have experience, feel free to correct me, but my understanding is that there are requirements, in particular the engine and other hardware that is not really do-able on a boat as small as a mini. Obviously there are minis doing trans ocean voyages all over the world, but these are done as class races and usually with support boats and so they do not require Cat 1. (I am well aware that a mini would be easily as safe as your average Cat 1 boat). This means that to be able to use a mini we would need the organisers of races to be on board with dispensation for these rules (I think Chris got that in the Tauranga race), and also the LOA requirements for most offshore races (even the coastal maybe?). I guess if there are enough people involved then this would be a lot easier and more likely rather than just if there was one or two boats. I think getting SSANZ involved in this would be a big start towards that.

There has been a lot of talk in this thread about having "series" boats. For a boat to be a series mini under the class rules, the yard has to have built a certain number (5 I think), and I'm pretty sure they (the yard and boats) have to be inspected and signed off by classe mini. This means that in all likelyhood, we will probably just end up with a bunch of low spec protos, at least initially. To be honest, this is only an issue for those that intend to take their boats up to Europe and compete there, but I wanted to raise the point just to clarify.

I think a meeting would be a great place to start, but am unfortunately overseas for another few weeks. It would be great to hear what came out of the chat in Welly. Also, starting a dialouge with the USA guys would be really beneficial I reckon, as they have already been through what we are trying to achieve. http://www.miniclassus.org/ Anyone know anyone over there?

Also for anyone considering a home build, there is a really good photo blog of what is involved here: http://www.mini-sailor.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=pnCPG&file=index&url=/coppermine/index_pn.php?parm=Guest|1|0|0|0||http://www.mini-sailor.us/|english||n|default|n|%26check=6db292701b15c3bddef33b7af402946a

Right, that turned into $2 instead of cents so thats it from me for now...

Flame away.

I said I'd bring a bottle of rum to a meeting, if there were less than 15 people I'd host in my living room, but i'm a bit for from the city for some people, anyone closer want to put their hand up, otherwise I'm sure Pons or on of the other W haven clubs will spare a bit of space. Next week, or do you want more time?

I haven't been contributing to this thread as quite frankly, I don't know much about the subject, and there are enough people having a go already. However, I am interested in the idea of building one (with my somewhat limited skills and experience) and can find the budget/time if inspired. So if you are having a meeting I am keen to attend.

Guest creative suffering
A link from LeoV's Mini Forum

http://www.minitransat650.com/simple/index.php#3

[attachment=0]minis.jpg[/attachment]

More at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredfarr ... 568817342/

This is how you do it....

the meeting is at Swashbucklers bar tuesday night at 7.00pm.

get out now and spread the word!!!

BooBoo is the chairman, KM will take minutes, Squid will register all interested members / builders (their status ie builder, helper, sponsor, supplier,)

discuss...

1. form a small commitee to run the 6.5 association!

2. set up a register of members (adress's etc)

3. set up a comm's manager

4. set up a web site

5. setup a forum to discuss plans / progress...

6. plan (based on committed building numbers) a sponsorship stratergy for the fleet and individual, a race program, and a co-ordinated prefferd suplier list and details of total "supplies " requirements in order to negotiate bulk buy discount.

7. determine a target list of suppliers / sponsors starting with all the ones on this web site and...

all other marine industries that profit of the sport!

8. orgainse a "one shed ' split cost buiding site!

9. set up a base for the association and tender for the preferred yacht club! (see who has the best offer!)

10, tender out to suppliers your equipment demands with presference to sponsorship!

blah blah blah...

organised!

Yes well that sure is the way to do it, for once I actually agree with you CS!

Although I think its best to work out a time that fits for everyone.

For me latter in the evening and also latter in the week is best. Wednesday night at 8pm swashys?

anyone else got another idea?

one of my crew is an ex mini sailor, has talked quite a bit about them. Seems like this would be a great move.

For road trailering, a very valid restriction, 2.45m is the max width, which is what you should design to, could also consider a tilted trailer system, which might enable you to go a bit wider; the french got max width, but apparently there have been successful minis that are skinny also; the fat ones are quicker in certain directions, but just because the thing isn't 3m wide doesn't nceessarily mean it is a dog; in fact with lots of upwind, skinnier might be better.

You'll be quids ahead on rigs out of NZ at the moment.

A question, why go for ply; lamination in foam would surely be a bit lighter; the cost of a few sheets of foam given you are just going to glass over them, some on a flat bench etc, might end up not exactly killing the cost, but it is easy stuff to work with?

No reason not to comply with the international rules while still also making the boat to some other new compromises such as trailering, cost of building, etc.

Time to confirm Date and time and place.

I suggest wed 8 days hence to give people time to make it but I;m prepared to be shouted down if everyone can make it tomorrow, quick show of hands please.

Otherwise Swashbucklers, what time?

Eddie from our advertiser Sailutions wants to be there as well. (Deck hardware/rigs).

I won't be able to do that as will be out of the country till the 4th of June. But I will email Squid and Boo boo some ideas.

Should you lot want a construction techo night later on, I would be happy to help.

Yes I am keen to be involved, and may well be in the perfect position to build a mini when the 88 sells

You'd be down anyway wouldn't you Squid - Bob McDavitt tomorrow...

Forgot that, next wed is looking better.

Let's confirm Wed next week - any objections, apart from Gary anybody else can't make it?

There's been some discussion in the background, I'm going to unilaterally decide the meeting will be June 10th. It's worth it to have leading Edge and Booboo there.

The point of the meeting will be to measure support, find out who would be ready to front up and make a start today, and investigate cost savings for a "multiple build".

If that is successful we'll discuss group sponsorship .

Then maybe have a rum.

I've been following this thread with interest, but not in a position to join in the fun.

The discussion around 2.4 metres for trailering is not relevant, as you are allowed to have trailers wider than 2.4 metres with some useage restrictions.

Quite a few of the big fizz nasties on trailers are wider.

Depending on the actual amount oversize this could just mean you are not allowed to tow at night.

Good luck with getting the ball rolling.

Archived