NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Hi there. :D

We kiwi sailors can learn a lot from the actions that resulted from all the comment in this thread.

A bit of a general statement there STS but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Though what, pray tell, can be learnt from what actions in particular?

Hi there. :D

We kiwi sailors can learn a lot from the actions that resulted from all the comment in this thread.

A bit of a general statement there STS but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Though what, pray tell, can be learnt from what actions in particular?

Sorry Outboard. My sarcastic comment was refering to the lack of "action" by the people who "talked it up", in all the posts, then obviously never fronted up. (Seems to be a kiwi thing, compared to the passionate French?)

Shame really as this would be a fantastic class if the fleet grew beyond the current numbers. Maybe it will get a second burst.

Also i thought a dedicated web site might be up and running and this thread would more "on going" posts and also have more detail on who's doing what and where they are doing it.

Has this idea lost appeal because of costs, build difficulty... or attitude of people?

Quite funny really, It all started with shoe string ideas and budget builds then the group as kiwis do had bigger visions and pushed past the budgets of most.

There is apparently 3 people who are still interested, but as one of them is 4 hours away it has been difficult to get them all together.

It may yet happen.

who knows

when you compare the open 8.5 multis and the sports boats the have been home built for 30 - 50k then you would say yes it could be possible to build yourself a budget boat.

yes we have the total costs to ever aspect at list prices and this says it would be very difficult to keep to these budgets. but not impossibe. And those that don't think they are capable

need to be prepared to pay a fair wage for someone that is, or it's not going to happen.

So perhaps cost, perhaps who knows

Quite funny really, It all started with shoe string ideas and budget builds then the group as kiwis do had bigger visions and pushed past the budgets of most.

There is apparently 3 people who are still interested, but as one of them is 4 hours away it has been difficult to get them all together.

It may yet happen.

who knows

when you compare the open 8.5 multis and the sports boats the have been home built for 30 - 50k then you would say yes it could be possible to build yourself a budget boat.

yes we have the total costs to ever aspect at list prices and this says it would be very difficult to keep to these budgets. but not impossibe. And those that don't think they are capable

need to be prepared to pay a fair wage for someone that is, or it's not going to happen.

Maybe a fleet sponsor could be targeted?. A bit like what yacht clubs do with training boats (eliiots...)

Whats Chris Dickson doing with all his Dosh?

Mr Chrichton and Alfa could be a go?

Maybe targeting a fleet of boats then leasing them to owners is the way forward. (like a racing "charter" fleet)

Maybe targeting the french "sponsors " to sponsor a fleet down here in conjunction with Noumea?

It may yet happen.

who knows

Maybe a fleet sponsor could be targeted?. A bit like what yacht clubs do with training boats (eliiots...)

Whats Chris Dickson doing with all his Dosh?

Mr Chrichton and Alfa could be a go?

Maybe targeting a fleet of boats then leasing them to owners is the way forward. (like a racing "charter" fleet)

Maybe targeting the french "sponsors " to sponsor a fleet down here in conjunction with Noumea?

.....Maybe a french v NZ challange (pacific rim race) sailing for a new Peter Blake memorial trophy (the french loved Peter Blake and love to beat the Kiwis at everything.)

The French have plenty of money to throw at passionate things like this.

They could supply the boats and NZ supplies the sailors?

I've said it once so I'll say it again.........

How about a less ambitious $25k home build / kit set version for short-handed coastal sailing to set the scene for off-shore first?

i.e. something along the lines of:

http://www.speedfeet18.com/

http://www.opensailingusa.com/Boats/Open570/

http://www.seascape18.com/

http://www.i550sportboat.com/i550.html

OK fairly small but nothing a good glass of HTFU wouldn't fix.

I've said it once so I'll say it again.........

How about a less ambitious $25k home build / kit set version for short-handed coastal sailing to set the scene for off-shore first?

i.e. something along the lines of:

http://www.speedfeet18.com/

http://www.opensailingusa.com/Boats/Open570/

http://www.seascape18.com/

http://www.i550sportboat.com/i550.html

OK fairly small but nothing a good glass of HTFU wouldn't fix.

Yip that would do it. Forget the rest of the world and do a cheap local thing is the good option.

Ply / Ceder

Cheap etchells 2nd hand masts.

Dacron sails. main, self tacking jib, 2 Assy's (1 set per 2 years)

2 winches only

no canters

no exotics

no electronics. (except minimum saftey gear (epirb))

John Spencer would love us!

What about the Elliot 5.9.

E5.9 (extended)

E6.5

Plenty of cheap ones on trade me for $9 - 15K

What about a "under 6.5" single handed offshore program.

Buy a cheap 5.9. put a scoop on the back and get it up to Cat for under $20K?

:wtf: ... :silent: ... :shock: ,,, :oops: ... :thumbup: ... :wave:

Why not I suppose.

If the E5.9s want to get involved and run a class division in the mini mini single handed coastal circuit to add a little more spice to their class racing good on 'em I say. :thumbup: :think:

Why not I suppose.

If the E5.9s want to get involved and run a class division in the mini mini single handed coastal circuit to add a little more spice to their class racing good on 'em I say. :thumbup: :think:

Why not?... well like most things in NZ sailing these days... nothing will happen because we are either not really that keen to get involved (cost / time ?) or we have changed our priorities to easier things.

Not sure I agree completely. I think small boats have less appeal and many in yachting like to cruise their boats over summer, a time when the stripped out racer is less of an attractive proposition. In this years White Island race we were the smallest in the fleet at 8m. Big ups to RAYC for making it cat 3 + which opened it up to smaller boats, but still didn't get them there. Maybe it's time, certainly not money, cause if you owned a boat at cat 3 it was easy to get hold of the additional items needed if you were looking for the challenge that these longer races offer.

In New Zealand yachting it is only the odd 30', multi's and the sports boats that have really pushed beyond having a 'hotted up' family saloon. Maybe that is an evolutionary process, but still waiting for a return of the small boats to the longer races.

Weight depends on how brave you were - 6mm hull or 9mm. I personally would go 9mm. but in reality 70kg to 100kg heavier.

Cost - well if you looked material cost only, at hull shell, deck shell, and bulkheads - carbon foam $25k, eglass foam $15k, ply glass $8k.

Not a huge saving when you look at the complete cost, but again beg borrow and scrape build your own foils get the cheapest of everthing - I have seen a mini using a gbe cat main. 40k might get you there

post-234-141887156174.jpg

post-234-141887156177.jpg

post-234-14188715618.jpg

The boat is the cheap bit, it's the rest of it that adds up real fast. rig between 7-10k, sails 7 plus , deck gear 5 plus and and and

ply is 420kg/m3 cedar is 380kg/m3 - cedar needs to be glassed both sides, the ply has the internal joins taped and the outside glaased. cedar will cost you between $60 and $75 per mtr2 , ply $30.00 mtr2 , foam $90

And why can't I post pictures anymore ?

The boat is the cheap bit, it's the rest of it that adds up real fast. rig between 7-10k, sails 7 plus , deck gear 5 plus and and and

And why can't I post pictures anymore ?

Theres nothing to see here???

?

solution 1

If you can't afford it then... Sponsorship!

Archived