NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

For f**ks sake you lot..... do we have to head down that route again.

I see someone trying to make suggestions, which may or mat knot work but at least he's trying and then I see some petulant name calling school kiddies.

Which one are you?

Thank you, please continue or at least the grown ups please continue.

No we don't have to go down that road again.

The dick got banned for a very good reason !

Its just starting all over again same as before, the Leopards spots are just the same!

Sorry KM but I do have a little bit of a problem with someone slagging off the work a group of good people have done under one identity then sneaking back under another identity offering kind words, advice and positivity....

Its a familiar theme....probably some of the name calling was a little excessive but hey is the above scenario really that welcome?

I shall heed your sagelike advice...

There was one good sugestion - a web site for the nz minis. At least then you could control the out put. If I was reading all of this for the first time I would think what a bunch of tossers, how to take a good idea and trash it.

Yes you need the banter, but surely it could be mediated at bit better.

Sorry Shanson I'm not quite sure what you mean. I you mean less panels then yes the centre 3 can be one. the rest of the internal structure would be ply and glass taped.

There was one good sugestion - a web site for the nz minis.

I dropped the ball there.... I got side tracked by a new job and a new boat. I have a basic content management setup so you guys can add content. I'll have another look at it and see what it will take to get the basic info up.

no, it actually doesn't. it will require a escape tunnel running along the center of the cockpit so the keel can get a big enough swing without loading up that section too much. and the raised floor section will mean that the companion way hatch will have to be considerably smaller which could be a problem.

is that a nice design? took me about 2hrs cause i tried to get everything exactly to scale

Nice idea. Keeps potential water issues out of the cabin and into the self draining cockpit.

Does the portion of the canting keel where it pivots thru the hull into the wet box change direction from the raked fin and sit in the wet box in a verticle position? (for ease of canting)

sail bad, yes it does. but i'm not sure if leaving internal part of the keel on the same angle would give it the same amount of swing and loading for a reduced height...if you get what i mean. i will do a drawing of the canting mechanism to see if either way would work

After a bit of thinking, a good point JH.

You have enough room under the cockpit to fit all the bits and bobs?

I reckon you could expose it thru the cockpit (sealed box below cockpit floor to hull. / semi open top) so as to ...

a. get more leverage if you want (longer leverage in cokpit space?)

b. allow any water issues to drain via the cockpit (overflow)

i was considering that but it wouldn't work.

1-to get the correct amout of swing space for the keel a whole cross section of the cockpit would have to be cut out and sealed off. potentially blocking the crawl space to the transom escape hatch.

2-the canting system strectched the entire beam of the boat so the companion way hatch would be inaccessible

sail bad, yes it does. but i'm not sure if leaving internal part of the keel on the same angle would give it the same amount of swing and loading for a reduced height...if you get what i mean. i will do a drawing of the canting mechanism to see if either way would work

Bringing the top part of the fin verticle above the pivot point would reduce wetbox size/capacity and would be less weight (shorter fin / box size). the leverage will be the same if the attachment point for the block and tackle system is the same distance above the pivot point.

Do you think you might need a bit more hull shape and rocker below the water line? or am i reading the waterline wrong?

Also i would go with one forward dagger board and maybe cant that as well to get the most lateral resistance and to give less drag. :wink: what do you think? :wtf:

it has twin canards that are on about a 15-ish degree angle outboard so you lift the windward one. that keel idea could work. and no, you're reading the hull lines correctly. it doesn't need any more rock. i based it off other minis that i spent a whole weekend researching.

i was considering that but it wouldn't work.

1-to get the correct amout of swing space for the keel a whole cross section of the cockpit would have to be cut out and sealed off. potentially blocking the crawl space to the transom escape hatch.

2-the canting system strectched the entire beam of the boat so the companion way hatch would be inaccessible

Good points. May need to get "mini me" to sail it in that configuration. or change cabin hatch design to a top access higed (weaver) type hatch.

the only problem with a horizontal hatch is with that boom configuration it wouldn't open. so you might have to sacrafice accessibility for safer heavy weather sailing

it has twin canards that are on about a 15-ish degree angle outboard so you lift the windward one. that keel idea could work. and no, you're reading the hull lines correctly. it doesn't need any more rock. i based it off other minis that i spent a whole weekend researching.

Thats great. youre on to it. With so much beam / hull volume the hull draft is very small.

Also that raked keel idea has the advantage of less "tip vortex"

How about throwing some wings or "tiplets" on for good measure. I don't think anyone has done that to a canter yet?. that may also allow a reduction in canard size or complete removal? (depends on wings size).

the only problem with a horizontal hatch is with that boom configuration it wouldn't open. so you might have to sacrafice accessibility for safer heavy weather sailing

Sliding "cabin top" hatch?

the only problem with winglets on the keel bulb is that the mini rule book states the maximum beam with keel canted cannot exceed 3m beam and 2m draft(i think) so winglets would penetrate both of those barriers disqualifying the boat

Archived