NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

the first boat has 2 canards aft and 1 for'ard so by varying the amount of board in the water at each end the boat you can balance it out better, and the second boat just has the normal 2 canards in the centre. the keels are of course raked aft so the wetbox is under the cockit sole

I have been watching this site often and with interest and notice alot of people talking and dreaming about a boat and a possible race, yet every one is quick to moan that its too expensive and cant be done etc etc, People what ever happened to the good ole kiwi can do attitude????? :D

In the sailing world we have come so far and the world has stopped to listen to what we have to say....all we need to do is take it to the next step..... A mini yacht is a great yacht and ive been a massive fan ever since i have been sailing, and have myself often dreamed about building one and racing it in NZ....

Well my friends that day is nearly here.... :D

While most people talk alot of BS here and say they want this and that, i have been doing it.

In the last 12 mths i have drawn up full scale plans of a mini based race yacht ( modelled on the French minis) and have been working with suppliers and the like to get good prices, on everything needed from, sails, masts to the galley stove...

My boat is in looks no differerent to any other mini, but that is where it ends. my yacht has the following.

1) Fixed keel.

2) Twin rudders

3) No less than 4 watertight bulkheads.

4) Fully compliant to both NZ and Auz cat 0 offshore ratings.

5) fully self righting

6) 100% unsinkable

I can go on, but i wont. (somethings need to remain secret) :wink:

We are in the process of building her, and she should be ready and in the water by xmas. and we hope to have her on display in Wellington for the stopover Velex 5 oceans and portamaeo ( i know spelt wrong) global ocean race.

And while everyone is dreaming of a race that seems will never get off the ground, i have gone one step further.

As part of my project i have been working on a solo and double handed yacht race from Wellington to Perth via Hobart.

I have the approvel from the Events folk at the Wellington city council, and now in disscussion with the people in Perth.

My race is in one design race boats (mine) and there will be rules that need to be followed. You can have your boat built to any stage, and we hope to have the first event early 2012.

I have presold 5 plans and we have 9 people ( all offshore) signed up for the race, (deps to paid after we get approvel from the guys in Perth).

I aim to put shorthanded sailing in NZ on the map to the rest of the world, and the best thing is, when you buy my boat you can have a complete race ready boat (including 3 sails, and the other basics) for under $60k. ( subject to conditions )

Im my experience its not what you know but who you know, and i know the right people and use there skills and knowledge to help get this very exciting project of the ground.

After the first boat is in the water we will be doing sea trails early next year and hope to race in the New Plymouth to Moolalaba race, (if we have more boats built then we will race those as well.)

A huge amount of time and hours has gone into making this yacht very strong and safe for the worst that the worlds oceans can throw at us, and we now have a very fast and very safe boat.

Im sure there will be alot of questions, but due to the sensitive nature of what we are trying to do, and alot of time wasters here and on other forums, i will not post any of my plans of the boat here. (we are however in the process of building a website).

If you have a serious enquiry then by all means email me,

If you are a supplier and looking at getting your name out there on the world stage then please get in contact and we be more than happy to talk to you.

We have kept this pretty quiet up until now, and have seen alot of write ups in boating mags and on websites but nothing as of yet as it all seems to be is talk....

We have done everything in our power to ensure the yacht is safe and complies with all current mini (race) and all offshore regulations, and feel we have a very exciting boat we can offer to our existing and future clients.

All i can stay is stay tuned.....

Maybe.

Certainly lots of "I", "me" and "my"s in there.

Not exactly a post from "how to win friends and influence people".

Credit where credit is due though - Race ready for $60k sounds fantastic.

Call me soft, but sailing single handed to Perth from Wellington via Hobart in a 6.5m boat sounds "a bit on the nose" to me. :sick:

Get in touch with him Knot Me and get your name on the world stage!

I am also in the process of building a website etc, but please feel free to contact me with questions.

Its still early days so im keen to see how much interest there really is in nz?

So far i have 9 boats presold (and one to an aussie)

So i think that this is what we have all been waiting for.

I look forward to your feedback. (please note that im unable to give to much away on this site due to legal reasons.)

GFS

So has is the progress on the web site its been 5 months when you posted this. :think:

Have 4 people got there money back. :wink:

So the smart arse comments begin, this is why ive not said anything up until now...infact i was reluctant to even post this....

In someways its meant to be a "look at me" theme to it, as i am fed up with all those negitive people who like to post drivil... i wanted to design a boat that reflected me and my dreams etc for what i was wanting in a mini. And with my experience sailing the southern ocean, i knew that its not an area to be messed with.

I guess any one who designs a yacht for a race and and can pull it off (like we are trying too) should be able to sell there product with pride and be abit cocky, to me its no different to any other businessman trying to sell or endorce a product.

When we looked at the South pacific ideas, the other posters were talking about, we saw that the weather pattens were very different, and felt that a mini (based on the French boats) would not handle the conditions that we would face in the southern ocean.

Our brief was we wanted a fast yet strong mini race yacht that we could race on this side of the world.

( If we could get an entry we would like to race it in the Mini transat to see how she would go against the French, now that would be good sailing.)

To me there was no point buidling a half arsed website, if we were still months away from finishing, hence the reason for the delay.

As mentioned in the last post, we will only have the boat on display if she is ready in time, we are looking at other options if she is not ready, however we are working very hard to have the boat on display.With so many round the world sailors coming into Wellington this is something we dont want to miss..

Please note there will NOT be photos on this site, due to such high negitivity from posters.

( now i know how Chris Sayer felt with his venture.) :(

Im not here to win friends etc, i have just wanted to build a strong but affordable offshore race yacht that the general population could afford, without having to sell the wife and kids.

And so far we have almost reached that goal. Its just ashame people would rather critisize others for trying to do something positive and good for the sport.....

Looks like we will be going back into hiding and sell our idea to the offshore market....

For what it's worth I don't think it's fair to slag someone off after 1 post! For goodness sake guys, I can get that sh*t on SA any day of the week. For your interest those who said it is all about I, me etc, I counted "we" 16 times, "I" 15 times, "my" 7 times (ok 8 but "my friends" doesn't count in the way you guys meant it), "you" 5 times. By the way "and" was 28 times. I lost count it might be 27 or 29. So what?

Yes the writing style is reminiscent, but whatever happened to give a guy a break eh?

Er, welcome back??? :D

I hope you don't think my post was smartarse.

The concept of the race is too out there for me, but there are plenty of people out there who will be interested.

The tone of your announcement did get a response that you shouldn't be surprised about really though.

No one here has any idea if you are just a blowhard or a troll looking for a rise.

I'm willing to wait until the Velux 5 boats are in Wellington, and see if there is anything to back your big words.

I'm also happy to post photo's of the results, whether on the hard or out sailing.

Ohh stop being so sensitive gfs.

The southern ocean will throw a lot more at you and your mini than little old me.

My request for photos was to Slacko not you.

Fair enough on the right to be cocky thing...just don't expect me to apologise for a "that's a bit cocky" post.

Again for $60k that's a good deal right there and I look forward to seeing the whole thing come to fruition for you and all involved so that you Wellingtonians can stick it up the Auckland dream boys.

When it's all done and dusted PM me with a "so there sucker" message and I'll send you a bottle of rum.

Wineglass

As mentioned in the last post, we will only have the boat on display if she is ready in time, we are looking at other options if she is not ready, however we are working very hard to have the boat on display.With so many round the world sailors coming into Wellington this is something we dont want to miss..

Please note there will NOT be photos on this site, due to such high negitivity from posters.

Im not here to win friends etc, i have just wanted to build a strong but affordable offshore race yacht that the general population could afford, without having to sell the wife and kids.

And so far we have almost reached that goal. Its just ashame people would rather critisize others for trying to do something positive and good for the sport.....

Looks like we will be going back into hiding and sell our idea to the offshore market....

GFS - sounds like you've done a great job - that's awesome news - well done! And to be aiming to have it on display for when the 5 Oceans race passes through Wellywood I think is a very smart business decision. Its a shame you think everyone here is negative - I think you'll find that its only one or two. Given that the boat is only a few months away from completion it would be fantastic to see a photo or two of the build and perhaps a graphic of what she will look like - I'm sure the circa 60k on the water cost is going to appeal to a lot of people here. Good luck.

Yeah - likewise! The knockers are in the minority here, feel free to share. No-one believed the earth was round for a long time either.

Great work if you can get something going.

EE

I guess that there are negitive people everywhere who like to rain on others dreams and creations.

Im not different to alot of other nzers who love sailing, and dream of vast oceans and new places, we have been a nation of sailors for many years.... I have been obsessed with small boats and the mini transat race yachts for years, and remembering the headaches that Chris Sayer went through to get his boat built, even at school i would kill time by drawing yachts and layouts, and what i would like in my "future" yacht.

Its taken many years and a long time to build up my company which would allow me the funds to be able to take the next step. :)

So 2 years ago i took that next step.

I knew that it would be near impossible for the average kiwi to ever build a good boat to race in France, (unless they had strong sponsorship).

So after doing a number of offshore races myself, i wanted to create a yacht that was fast, compeditive and offshore capable, and as we have the Southern Ocean on our back doorstep i thought why not a build a boat for our conditions.

I love the idea of racing small yachts offshore, hence why i love the mini race, ( i guess thats why it so popular). so i thought why not create a race on this side of the world that would be just as fun, and challanging as the French one. (only our yachts would differ slightly.)

In the last 12 mths we have come along way and if things keep going to plan than the end result should be a strong and fast offshore racer that we can enter in coastal and other NZ related events. :)

If i can fiqure out how to add attachtments then i will look at putting up a couple of the drawings.

Photos may come later......

Gfs

Without getting into the primary school yard activities and comments above.

Yes there has been lots of talk but knot as much 'little action' as this thread would suggest.

A 30 sec history here as we are now 30 pages in.

- Our beloved Booboo was onto a possible project which was likely to involve a 650. I believe his project is still a possible but may have run into funding issues (recession), the Mini was one small part of a lot larger end game.

- I said if he does one I'll do one also, even though while I love Mini's my preference is and was at the time for something just a bit larger. The idea being if we 2 did we could drag in a few more and hopefully get the guts of a fleet together relatively quickly, something I saw the Minis more likely to achieve at the time than my preferred desire. If there was a fleet going to happen I'd have, and possibly still could be, in like Flynn as they say. I'd be happy saying I'm knot alone on this point. The interest level is still high with a few people.

- The idea appealed to a few others as well but almost to a person all said they didn't want to build a Mini and have to race them against 40-50fters on their lonesome. Everyone wanted to race other Minis. This was and still is a deal breaker for me, I'm knot going to build a lonesome boat 1/2 the size of the boats I'd be racing especially one with limited uses, the idea just doesn't appeal.

- So a few started working towards getting a fleet together, see this thread and you see a fair wack but knot all of what happened.

- As it panned out and pretty much as expected, while a 'bulk' deal type arrangement (Thanks to a lot of hard work by FNG who put a lot of time and effort into it all) could have been done they are just boats that cost bucks, the nature of the beast. The cost was prohibitive to many who expressed interest, again especially as a few would be hard pushed to justify the bucks to their significant others for a pretty much very narrow use boat i.e they ain't no family cruiser nor much good for taking the girlfriend away for a romantic weekend of shagging her stupid. That's quite understandable or it is in my books. While being only 6.5mts they aren't toys.

- There was also a section of the interested parties that wanted to do a 'Kiwi Mini' i.e knot conforming to the Mini650 rules used elsewhere. This was due to costs and again understandable but for a few of us that was a no-go. We wanted the real McCoys so if we choose to we could go do the TransAt or if we could get a similar race going in the Sth Pac in the TransAt off year in the hope we may get a few from the EU come down to play. Having fully compliant Mini650's for a few of us was again a deal breaker.

- And the timing was a bit crap as it all kicked off as the global meltdown kicked in which made a few interested parties nervous about jobs, paying bills and all that. So a few who were, and a couple still are, keen decided it was better to hold fire to make sure they had a job in 2 months time to pay for the boat.

- Then there was also some totally unnecessary knocking and bollix from one or 2 corners. That certianly didn't hep anyone or the project as a whole.

So sadly it all sort of faded away, and as a FYI knot that long ago. Until quite recently, well after this thread would suggest, that project was still simmering along with 4 people still keen subject to one or 2 things, for 2 it was gaining sponsorship which did get harder by the day as this recession thing ticked along. It's knot totally dead but it is on life support for sure.

So this thread doesn't tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but it (who's been in court today, can anyone tell? :) )

Now to gracefulswan (which is a name that doesn't line up that well with the writing style by the way), I like what I've heard so far and are impressed you have pushed on with it, well done good work. I look forward to seeing more about your project and I'll add that my desires outlined above are knot dead so I'm watching probably a bit closer than many others. While I still prefer a slightly larger boat, if I see a fleet likely to happen you will get a call from me. But any boat will have to be fully 650 compliant and I heavily suggest yours are as well, maybe knot to kick off but with the ability to be made so without any large structural changes. It just makes sense knot to build yet more 'Kiwi only' versions of existing boats as that limits too much stuff and options.

And as you say there are always knockers, ignore them would be my call and get them boats floating. Once that happens don't expect any apologies but just rest easy knowing they will feel like fuckwits when you prove them wrong. Luckily one of the biggest knockers has been 'retired' from this forum so that's nice, which is a shame really as he did have some damn good ideas in amongst his mass of lunacy.

So go hard and get it/them happening. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the support you will get once people see something of substance. I know it is out there even if it is currently nursing some bruises.

I for one do genuinely wish you all the best and hope you can get it happening as I see the boats a great machines for this area of the world. Just imagine the 15kt downhill slide in the Fiji to Brisbane leg of the Sth Pac Mini race...... how good would it be?

- The idea appealed to a few others as well but almost to a person all said they didn't want to build a Mini and have to race them against 40-50fters on their lonesome. Everyone wanted to race other Minis. This was and still is a deal breaker for me, I'm knot going to build a lonesome boat 1/2 the size of the boats I'd be racing especially one with limited uses, the idea just doesn't appeal.

Damn, no edit button.

On the end of the above should be - So for many, most, it was only a goer if it was going to result in a 'fleet' to play in. No one wanted an orphan.

I might have been a bit hasty with my reply, but when someone comes in with a single post promising the world, and then silence reins for 6 months.

The second post contradicts statements made in the first post, not drawings,sketches and photos showing any stage of construction, of course there will be some flack flying.

So it will be very interesting to see your craft floating on Wellington harbour next Feb.

Archived