Central Triangle Video 2013 Leg 2 Akaroa-Napier

RedLine

We were likely slating the opposition who at that point were all behind us!!

I still have the self tacker but also carry a 135% No 1 Genoa, and even a code zero for light airs upwind. THe self tacker might dissapear over this winter due to dented shins broken toes etc. But it did prove useful on this race especially at night on ur own tacking in the dark just requied putting the helm over!!

I heard youve dropped the keel off ur boat & have it @ home?

How do you fit 135% on, the best I can do is 105%.

Yeap mines high dry and naked after she did 52kts over the harbour bridge last week. The shed for her arrived today so that's my job for the next few days. After that my mate Mr McCulloch, all 14" of him, will be removing the assorted parts that are up for replacement.

The foot of the 135% Genoa is cut to just rise over the self tacker rail. I have an extra set of tracks & blocks on the side decks, and the Genoa sheets round the outside of the spreaders and just inside of the life lines. Works pretty well cant point as high as with a blade but not too bad. Most other 930's have somethnig similar, some even bigger (150%), but most have removed the self tacker rail ,which allows for a deck sweeping foot on the genoa.

Ah ha, you must have the skinny spreader model as mine go out to the edge meaning anything sheeted outside those isn't any good if you want to go to windward. Hence I also have the foot skimming the track and to tracks in that corner of the cabin top. I need 2knts of wind to stop the leach curling on the spreaders, we measured and made it that maximum possible.

Some up here do have quite large overlappers but they also musty have the skinner spreaders. Looking around my lower spreaders do seem a little wider than most. No idea why or if it's a good thing or knot.

Hey, do you know the Stunned Mullet dude, Dennis? He's down by you somewhere. I just chatted to him re keels and bullshit PHRF numbers. I think he would be very interested to know about your keel and how you did it etc. I have a email for him if you like.

I also have the wide spreader base, heres an old photo showing the shroud plates almost on the outside of the boat. Wild Oats had a much skinnier set of spreaders than on mine, and could hence point a little higher with his o/lapper. So its possible to use an o/lapper with set-up but you do lose some pointing ability, but this is prob offset by the extra speed thru the water gained by the Genoa v Self tacking blade. I havent run into Stunned Mullet Much, have bumped into Dave (aka Airship) a few times @ various regattas. More than happy to talk to him re Keels etc.

Image0136.jpg

Archived