Sailing to the Chathams

TeMPuS

So a really quick question. To leave NZ to sail to another country like Fiji for instance you need Cat1 and clearance etc. If you were to sail to the Chatham Islands do you need that as its part of new zealand and you dont need to clear customs either way...i assume you dont and its just like sailing from south island to north island but further? correct me if i am wrong. Thanks all,

No you don't need a Cat 1 or any Cat really. You only need to get a Cat 1 to get a clearance when you intend to land in another country.

You could set sail from Auckland and do a double circumnavigation of the planet without either clearing out of NZ or having a Cat 1..... just don't stop anywhere on route.

That only applies to the people the NZ Govt actively discriminates against, it's own people. Anyone else can do whatever they like totaly unhindered. If they give you grief just register your boat in Nigeria and they will leave you alone. Cost is around NZ$20.

As they said

Just check your insurance

Usually 200nm

But if you leave from cc you will be outside that for a time

As they said

Just check your insurance

Usually 200nm

But if you leave from cc you will be outside that for a time

The 200nm limit is offshore of NZ territory or offshore the mainland? because if you drew a 200nm limit around the chathams and nz there is going to be a significant area that intersected meaning you would be covered for the whole trip...unless its off NZ mainland then only half the trip would be insured?!

Has anyone got any good advice for sailing there? best time of the year? would preferably like to do it in dec/jan as its warmer and i can get time off work. Just any tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

Interesting question, are there any sheltered ports or anchorages there?? My impression is that they are fairly low lying windswept islands.

I imagine the best time to go would be in the most settled warmer months, Feb - March.

(I don't have insurance, so no worries there)

Also, what is the situation with sailing to territories that have NZ administration then, i.e Niue Island, the Tokelau Islands?

As long you miss the hole 1/2 way from Christchurch. :wink: :lol:

[attachment=0]Capture.PNG[/attachment]

Heading from Havelock so should be all good to miss the 'hole'

Yes I spent a few months out there on a boat a while back.

There was a thread on it but I couldn't find it to link.

Waitangi and port hutt are your best bet as far as anchorages go.

Over the Christmas break would be a good time, but I'd say aim to be flexible about timing so you can wait out bad weather. The locals were great when I went about 15 years ago and I'd go back for sure, although there aren't as many varied anchorages once you're there as, say Stewart Island or Fiordland. I would personally be careful about where I swam there, having seen the fins and the odd missing arm!

Archived