Marshall Law Progress

smithy09

Urban Cowboy is up in Pier 21 getting a new bulb

Good to see the Ross boats keep getting modified! :D :D I heard that Urban ws hard to get in the groove upwind. The Marshall is a bit the same..

The keel and rudder were repairs after my Barrier whoopsie, along with rudder seals. The inside is strengthening AND repositioning of chainplates to suit swept spreaders. Halls busy with the mast..

Hopefully a stronger and better boat will result. I am trying to get the bones right before any flash stuff like bow sprits, but the wallet is emptying fast..

Looks good Smithy - ive got modification envy.

Are Halls modifying your old mast (alloy?) to swept spreaders, or is a new one in the making?

Reason i ask is ive got a similar sized old skool noodle mast with running backstays that ive toyed with the idea of replacing/modifing to swept spreaders.

Good to see the Ross boats keep getting modified........ any flash stuff like bow sprits.....

*Cough*...... were you watching?

Really?? On the to do list, but it's a few pay days away..

Looks good Smithy - ive got modification envy.

Are Halls modifying your old mast (alloy?) to swept spreaders, or is a new one in the making?

Reason i ask is ive got a similar sized old skool noodle mast with running backstays that ive toyed with the idea of replacing/modifing to swept spreaders.

All carbon mate...

I jest of course! :D :D Very interesting getting Halls to engineer the solution with swept spreaders. Not as easy as just adding wide spreaders!! Yeah, new section required, but they have been very helpful.

Not a good weld smithy. That has been caused by the weld not being finished properly. It looks like the welder person has used a stick and has just stopped at the edge of the plate, instead of pausing and allowing the weld pool to build slightly before lifting the rod. The result is a thin area, (note a small pin hole in one even) and the slag not fully covering the exposed metal as it cools and the metal stresses as it cools.

I assume these can't be easily removed??? Because it would sure be nice to TIG weld them for you.

The weld needs to be ground right back and TIG welding would ensure a good weld right to the centre of the plate.

They can be stick welded over top again, but it really would be a half job. Still.. better than they are now though. Just ensure the welder person extends the weld past the edge before terminating the process.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed with the welding either.. Don't worry Wheels, they're coming out and being replaced with all new items.. These are the old chainplates..

Dunno about Wheels. He's just an insomniac.. I'm working 6am to 6pm off the South Aussie coast at the moment, so yeah, could be a different dimension!

Archived