Marshall Law Progress

smithy09

Thanks Bardy. More to come but it's rapidly turning into a $300K Ross 40.. :wtf: :wtf: Well not quite, but a lot more is going in than I will ever get back.. At least I'm not alone. Urban Cowboy is spending up large. Shame they're not in the RNI..

I'm trying to think of something witty, erudite, positive, encouraging,... but instead I'm going to my fall back position.

Holy sh*t.

But you're a legend smithy, the price of ones passions eh.

Be a great boat - when your finished - for the solo Tasman! With a real chance of winning....

Funny.. When I first bought it I had a dream of sailing it up to SF to watch the AC... That dream is a bit far away yet.. The Cat 2 required for the RNI will take me closer though..

Solo sailing scares the poop out of me. Ya gotta sleep sometime!

When I finished the 2010 solo Tasman, I was thinking about boats in which to do it again. The Ross 40 is really at the top of the list. What does it go like compared to a Sydney 41?

Sleep is just another risk management issue. Some guys just take the risk, some try to sleep in the cockpit.... Personally I use electronics, radar, ais, etc, and really loud alarms! I normally get plenty of sleep offshore. Busy areas or high traffic areas are an issue!

And, 300k is not expensive for a good 40ftr -and yours looks like it will be good as new!

When I finished the 2010 solo Tasman, I was thinking about boats in which to do it again. The Ross 40 is really at the top of the list. What does it go like compared to a Sydney 41?

Sleep is just another risk management issue. Some guys just take the risk, some try to sleep in the cockpit.... Personally I use electronics, radar, ais, etc, and really loud alarms! I normally get plenty of sleep offshore. Busy areas or high traffic areas are an issue!

And, 300k is not expensive for a good 40ftr -and yours looks like it will be good as new!

I don't know about the Sydney 41. Never been on one or sailed near one. And to be honest, I have never had the Marshall up to its true potential. I have never had a real downhill rollercoaster race in her yet. Best speed was Coastal Classic 18 knots with a reefed main and #3 if I remember correctly. That was in a single gust. I would love to have it out in a solid 35 knots coming in at around 165 degrees.... (Oh, and with big rolling swells a la New Plymouth please!) :D :D :D

The new rig should make it a lot easier to sail short handed along with socks for the masthead gear. Still need the 2 metre retractable prod, Code zero and new suite of A sails!!

Yep, sounds good! A sails are great! Island time's best sailing speed (not surfing) is about 10 knots under A2. Top speed ever 18.6 at the bottom of a big wave. The Tasman, or going north up the ausy coast would give you the conditions you want. Maybe rni will too!

Ross 40 over a Sydney 41 any day.

S41,s are nice to sail but there is just something very pleasant about the asthetics and sailing ability of the Ross family of boats.

Oh how I wish my budget could afford Satellite Spy. :cry:

Murray Ross and Colin Booth had some great sails on that boat. :mrgreen:

There was a Sydney 41 in the last solo Tasman. It did look for a while like he would be 1st mono home by quite a bit, but then he slipped a disc and had to withdraw - went to Lord Howe, and a crew came out to get the boat.

It was still pretty fast - way ahead of us 20-25 yr old farrs (x3)... AND, we need a KIWI to win this time... (Bruce, on big wave rider, is only partly a Kiwi - the Ausy's claim him as he lives there). First 2 Monos were Ausys.

runners are still there, there's a tie off point on the D1 chainplate for everyday stuff. But they can be brought back when needed in the heavy

Awesome boat and work, you're a lucky lucky lad. Technical question for upwind work how do you control forstay tension being runnerless?

You can use topmast backstay as well, as the jumpers are angled forward a bit.. Lots to learn with the new rig. Not as tunable as the old one, but hopefully it will stay up wheras the old one was destined to come down if Gary hadn't attacked the boat....

About time I updated this. Here are some shots of the interior after Gary painted it back in September. Not much got done after that until we started preparing for the White island race and finished off some bits and pieces as well as re-building the rudder lower bearing. (Another story altogether).

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

During the Simrad 50, we found that the recently dismantled rudder bearing had got worse, was leaking as bad as before and was really stiff, especially when the boat came under load. It was so bad on the long reach from Tiri to Gannet rock that I pulled a muscle in my back that took 3 weeks to come right.

After a real close look, we found that the outer case of the roller bearing was turning as well as the inner case. This was not good!

I wanted it sorted for White Island, so preceded to attempt to book a haul out in the second two weeks of November. No chance!! Not one yard in Auckland had space. I was desperate, and after much phoning, Simon Manning of boat spay, extemely kindly, slotted us into the yard outside their shed and sweet talked the travel lift guys at HMB to lift us out.

Haul out.JPG

No rudder.JPG

With Peter from the boatbuilders at HMB helping, we dropped the rudder and pushed the bearing out. This bearing is an Edson. It consists of an alloy inner shell bonded onto the carbon rudder stock, some composite rollers, and an alloy outer bearing housing. The outer bearing housing is bonded into an alloy tube with a flexible glue (Sikaflex, same as the window bonding stuff) and this tube is glued into the fibreglass tube bonded into the hull. The bearings are sealed by two o rings held in by a capping plate that stop the water coming up, as the stern tube does not go right through to the deck.

What had happened is that the Sikaflex bond between the bearing housing outer shell and the alloy tube in the hull had failed. Instead of the rollers turning, the whole rubber bush was turning and leaking to boot!

Add to this that Edson have stopped making these bearings and don't stock parts for them. Peter was loathe to put it back together, and carry responsibility for it, so I was stuck!

With only 10 days to go to the White Island race, and not long to the Round North Island race, I had to find a solution. I called Edson in the States, and was told "The guy next to me knows all there is to know about those bearings..." That guy's name is Will Keene and he is the president of the company. Will spent half an hour explaining how the bearings were made, and a possible fix. I was very, very impressed. As the Sikaflex product was heat cured in an oven, using this product again was out of the question on the Marshall, so I went hunting for a flexible 2 pot product that would chemically cure. A day later I had tracked down a 2 pot flexible epoxy that had a 5 times higher shear strength than the original stuff.. We were in business!

The original bearing was in OK condition so I took it home and stripped all the rubber off it and wire buffed it back to clean alluminium. I gave the outer alloy shell in the boat, the same treatment and cleaned both surfaces with acetone...

2 part flexible epoxy.JPG

Bearing housing rubber removed.JPG

Housing assembled.JPG

We assembled the rudder back into the boat with the cleaned up lower bearing and I carefully aligned the bearing centrally into the housing to withing 0.5mm, then chocked the rudder in place with wedges. It was then just a matter of pulling the gun trigger a couple of thousand times and squeezing in 800mls of this black gunk to the cavity between the bearing and the hull tube.

We left it over the weekend to cure, then dropped the rudder again and Peter cleaned up the hull and replaced the fairing patches.

In the meantime, there was a Sat phone to install, an interior to finish off, and a broken pulpit to fix. Craig Coulomb of Leach Stainless sorted out the pulpitt and did an awesome job, as well as fixing broken stanchions and making up an aerial mount at the stern for an emergency VHF aerial, new GPS aerial and Sat phone aerial.

To make matters worse, sending in my race docs, I realised that my Cat 3 cert had expired.. Sacre Blue, could any ferkin thing else go wrong? Luckily, Micheal Churchhouse from YNZ was in Auckland and made the time to come out and inspect us. What's more, we had a bonus in store. He agreed to give us a Cat 2 inspection to cover the RNI, and apart from an extra fire extinguisher, a drain in the gas locker and a few other minor details, we passed!! Woo Hoo.

By now it was Tuesday. The race started Friday, and the rudder was still out! Luckilly my Crew, Gary Koornneef from Wellington had arrived to give me a hand. The rudder went back in no problems, and while I completed all the electrical work (Inc new LED nav lights in the pulpit) Gary glued in the new cupboard doors.

The boat got lifted in Wednesday, and I finished wiring the Sat phone Thursday evening, just in time to make the White Island race briefing... What a mission!

After all that, the rudder bearing has been superb with a nice light effortless steering action. All the electrics are working well, and we are a long way into our preparation for the RNI..

Now it's back to work to pay for it all...

Rudder bearing.JPG

Positioning bearing centrally in hull.JPG

Rudder wedged in place..JPG

The gun!.JPG

Nice work Smithy, you out on the boat at xmas?

No sadly back to work until mid January, but then we hope to get a week or maybe 2 cruising before the RNI race starts.. A mate will be borrowing the boat over Christmas though so you might see her around.

Archived