Weiti Winter series

Kiteroa

Looking forward to the combined Weiti and Gulf Harbour winter series starting up on the 5th of May!

We'll be there in Wild Thing, and we have some good competition relocating from the city scene in the hope of making things difficult for us. These races have a real dinghy regatta feel, and are quite busy for the crew as sail changes are always required during the race. Starts are up wind and and usually the boat that nails a good start and calls the shifts up the first will lead at the top mark. So just having a quick boat isn't always enough as we have experienced in the past!

So if you're up for a challenge this winter, North is where you need to be. Everyone welcome.

NOR:

http://weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2012-2013/Winter%20series%202013.pdf

Entry form:

http://weiti.co.nz/Forms/Race_Entry_Form.htm

We had a bit of a screw up for the 1st race. We have to make a call a couple of hours before the race as to what we do as all of our crew drive up from the city, so it’s quite a distance. I went up early to get the boat ready like I normally do. 2 hours before the start is was howling and the now casting at Tuts was saying it would stay that way so before everyone drove up we pulled the pin. Unfortunately an hour later it went light and the race ran! So we earned ourselves a drop!

Looks like I will be taking the Cordite up as well. A couple of crew short if anyone wants to come.

The boat will be living up the Weiti river for winter again so might as well use it!

Awesome Booboo,

the next race is run by Gulf harbour, 2pm start, with everyone going back to Gulf harbour club after wards. Ie who ever runs the race, thats what club the sailors go to.. But im sure you know that :wink: Races run around the river tide.

Forecast is looking like 16-18kts from the north so flat water. But knowing auckland that will change. See you there!

Awesome! We're going to have a great little fleet up there this season then. Booboo can run a fortnightly sail repair service! Bring it to the club in pieces after the race, get it back in 2 weeks good as new!

Sorry we missed the race. didnt count on having a beat into 25kts all the way from westhaven. would of been ok if we didnt have to go up the river to pick up the rest of the crew. still made it out for a sail and had a good kite ride hitting our all time high of 12kts on the he marauder! Fantastic to know that she does actually break free and plane eventually..

One of the guys underestimated the power of the mighty Cordite and tore his hand up pretty badly.

Still a good day out. Will be overseas for you the next one but will be into it again after that.

Sorry we missed the race. didnt count on having a beat into 25kts all the way from westhaven. would of been ok if we didnt have to go up the river to pick up the rest of the crew. still made it out for a sail and had a good kite ride hitting our all time high of 12kts on the he marauder! Fantastic to know that she does actually break free and plane eventually..

One of the guys underestimated the power of the mighty Cordite and tore his hand up pretty badly.

Still a good day out. Will be overseas for you the next one but will be into it again after that.

Wow 12 knots and planning! Well done :thumbup:

Gives me something to aim for. Best I have done so far is 10 knots.

WELL... that was interesting. 25-30kts at some stages with it never getting below around 18. slight chop. got 10kts under main only in the little ross 780 before the start, but crew work and in-experience put us behind a little bit, next race we hope for a better result.

Really good to see some city boats come up for some awesome close racing with 25 boats out for today!

That was a really cool race! We had a few stand in crew as our regulars were otherwise engaged. So we went out an hour early, had a bit of a beat to setup, put the genny up and did a few gybes down to the starting area. Managed some nice squirts before the race. We sailed pretty conservatively as I wasn't sure how we were for crew work in a race situation. But we handled things ok and did some nice work. Got the genny back up on the run and had a good ride. Awesome to have such a strong fleet out there on a fresh day. 25 boats was it? Good atmosphere back at the club also. Fire going and cheap rums all round!

Here is a shot of our mans hand, I wont say who it was but he on here occasionally so can pipe up if he wants too!

You can see the good ship Cordite in the back ground sitting on her winter mooring.

2013-05-19 16.39.11 - Copy.jpg

That looks pretty nasty. Surely it can't be so hard to get a couple of girls on the boat to avoid this kind of self inflicted injury in future?

Yep interesting race.

blew the jib halyard block before the race which pissed me off as it was a brand new ronstan orbit. Got 11 knots down to the start under main only and then decided a reef was in order.

We went for a conservative start mainly to ompletely missing the 5 min gun, 4 minute gun and just managed to get the 1 minute gun.

Managed to hang onto the big fellas most of the way up the first beat and should have popped a bag up but due to breaking in a new foredeck decided to play it conservative this time. got a really good couple of squirts down wind any way.

bashed up hill again and then got the bag up on the downwind. No matter what we did we couldn't get the kite to set. couldn't figure put what was wrong with it until we noticed the corner with tack written on it was dragging in the drink and the clew was attached to the prod.

wups dragged the kite down and had a beer until we got to the bottom mark and then bashed up hill again to the finsh. A 7th should be good for the handicap.

good day out overall.

should be a go pro vid coming from 203

will get the footage up at some stage... But watch out phil. I heard rumours at the club of someone having a camera out on the boat with them! :lol:

We missed both guns/flags also! I think it was because the white/grey 5min flag was exactly the same colour as the sky and it was almost invisible against that backdrop at 50m+. So we got a bit confused when the blue peter all of a sudden went up! Anyway we were happy enough with our start.

Do you have some nice video luke?

Hope the man with the burnt hands makes a speedy recovery, jokes aside an injury like that can't be too pleasant at all.

not sure, havnt downloaded it yet, but the camera was fixed on the cockpit the whole time. Too scared to unscrew it when its blowing 25-30kts!

Ill have a look when i get a chance.

Archived