Coming to NZ soon. Be afraid....

smithy09

Looking on the bright side, whatever's gonna happen to it will happen long before it gets near our SAR zone.
I would say long before he reaches the harbour. You have to admire his persistence and application though! :D :D

A brilliant idea and I want one.

Just so happens I have the plans for one very similar. Now just need less other crap in my life happening to get started on it.

I havent seen the anarchy thread but elsewhere on the net, theres debate over whether its a serious boat of just a floating bach with a few yott things chucked on to fly under the local legislation. Whats really amazing is the amount of schadenfreude this project seems to generate.

I'd read the thread before giving them a too hard a time for taking the piss. The thing is made of 4 x 2 pine and non marine ply. Glassed on the outside and epoxy coated on the inside. The cross beams are held in with coach bolts.. And on it goes. If it can handle the stress of floating it will be doing well, let alone a tow, or a seaway..

The hotrod is some man!!

I bet his Profession is a House Builder. I have seen it far too many times (2) before. One guy I know has built a 40ft Vindex with two Deck up flybridge using a 30ft Hull and used 3x2, "No more Nails" as Glue and his Builders gas powered nail gun. Add to that, he has installed 600Ltr fuel tank and 800ltr of fresh water. But don't worry, he has upped the Hp from 130 to 180Hp. :thumbup:

Yep - I read the thread and I'm pretty sure it said somewhere he was a house builder. It definitely refers to him as a master craftsman in some of the early newspaper article links...

From the fact that he had to wire the hulls to the beam supporting the mast because they started to fall off when he tried to jack it onto his trailer, it sounds like they're right that it's going to fall apart during launch or very soon after.

I'm just gutted I didn't know about it to go and see it when I was there a few months back!

Ouch, that's a lot of time and money to spend on something that looks suitable only as a houseboat tied up to a mooring on a lake. Just can't see how that will work structurally - the loads would be huge and not something 2x4 timbers braced with coach bolts could ever support.

I have a good friend that lives at Moss Landing. I will let him know about this. He might like to go take a look and have a chuckle.

I'm starting to feel a smidgen sorry for the poor bastard.

Would probably be MORE sorry if he wasn't ignoring the advice he's doubtless been getting from all quarters.

Archived