Piedy Nats

All going well my mate Roger and I will have Ratz on the start line for the 51st nats. The going might be a bit tough! There are some really nice piedy's out there now....

:D Not wishing to be more Pedantic than usual, but we shouldn't change history Mercia was the first Piedy.

Pied Piper made the name for the class with Alan Warwick and other well known yachties in one particularly memorable Te Kouma race planning away from many larger boats.

Damn computers I did write planing.

One thing I find strange is with all this commendable work going on restoring these fine little vessels, is why the buyers don't check on which are the light competitive boats from when the class was hot in the 70s . In those days we would never be beaten for example by 727's.

My understanding is that Mercia was started to be built before Pied Piper, but Pied Piper was the first to be launched? Can anyone confirm or deny that claim? And what where the fast piedys back in the 70's? There is so much history out there but so little records.

The history as the class understands it is that Mercia was the first Piedy, but the second in the water.

Mercia was drawn up by Des for a client and launched in 1964. But Alan Warwick built Pied Piper faster and it was launched before Mercia when it splashed in 1963.

Hence this year is the 50th anniversary of Pied Piper Splashing down...

The original boat test from Sea Spray can be seen here if you scroll down...

http://yachtyakka.co.nz/2008/07/piedy/

Yep sounds right -- the client was Bill Townson Des' brother - also very talented designing planes up Mahurangi way now.

Some of the good old boats (but not limited to)

Quandary---wrecked :twisted:

Rising Damp

Livewire

infatuation

Podarge ---wrecked

Dancing Mouse

Ragalag--now Party Piedy

Waimania

Vestalia

Archived