State New South Wales

Type Elliott 100

Designer Greg Elliott

Builder Cookson Yachts

Construction Composite

LOA 30.48

Beam 5.7

Draft 6.2

Is that the canter originally called Maximus? How the heck to do manage the forces generated by a 6m long arm with what, 10 tonne on it,inside a boat?

:problem:

A VOR turned up in Auckland today to but not sure which one

Mapfre (ex Telefonica and soon to be Black Jack) and is on the way to Brisbane

Booboo said 13tonne, wow swinging that on the end of a skinny (athwartships) 6m long beam with possibly only a 500mm long arm on the inside means loads of 169 tonnes for the hydraulic cylinder. 2 times for shock loads (engineering rule of thumb), no wonder there are lots of failures. Would be much cheaper and safer (and faster) to put a bouyant device out to leeward and leave the 13 tonnes on the dock ...... damm that would be a multihull :twisted:

Hey TimB, 2 x is not enough! Its not just the lever, its the shock loading as it twists while the boat is pounding to weather! A while ago I was talking to the Farr office about this - their designs now have 14x the integrity of the first swing keels! :shock:

Hi IT. 2 times is what I use to design a stop for a moving load. You (and Mr Farr) are correct it is a whole new ball game when combined torsion and bending together with the shock load falling off a wave plus the fatigue resulting from the vibrations developed by the twisting foil straightening up.... it is wonder they ever survive. Makes my head hurt trying to think about it. I'll take a non ballasted boat any day... :)

TB

Archived