The good old days

This might be a good place to add a Kiwi Adventurer. I don't know the guys name, but this little boat that the current owner calls "Little Toot", went on an adventure that can only be described as "unbelievable". The then owner motored Little Toot all the way to Antarctica and back. Just for the hell of it. The only safety device he had was a large Bladder fitted around the inside of the cabin, with a CO2 extinguisher connected to it. The idea was that if he got swamped, he would trigger the extinguisher and inflate the bladder.

Apparently an article was published in a Boating magazine about the journey. I would so love to read it if by some chance someone has ever kept a copy.

P1010060.jpg

Id be pretty keen on reading that myself Wheels!

The OZ story was pretty good too....just a pity about the unfortunate end....

Anyone who tried that sort of adventuring these days would land themselves in court wouldn't they???? Have to admit that the prospect of a sail to Antartica has quite some appeal! You'd have a real sense of having ventured to somewhere that most people will never expect to see in their lifetime. Does it appeal to anyone else????

recently enjoyed reading 'Snow Petrel' which was a great read about Ben, Matt and Jon Tucker's cruise to Antarctica in Ben's home built sloop.

A few good images here I notice

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/progr ... snowpetrel

Highly recommend the read if you like the idea of going south.

what he said, its a great read,

It sounds a bit casual, you know, got boat ready and sailed south, however you also realise just how much experience that was on board and it was anything but casual.

Booboo - at the Port Nic talk there was mention of the movie of the trip being available, do you know anything about that? I'd love a copy

Anyone who tried that sort of adventuring these days would land themselves in court wouldn't they???? Have to admit that the prospect of a sail to Antartica has quite some appeal! You'd have a real sense of having ventured to somewhere that most people will never expect to see in their lifetime. Does it appeal to anyone else?????? :?: :?: :?:

Sorry guys I just stumbled across this thread now.

Im not sure where you can get the DVD's from but I have both the older original cut and the latest updated edit (which was only finished about a month ago) at home.

I would be happy to do a viewing of one or both at my place sometime if anyone wants. I have a rather large mancave and projector so we could fit quite a team down there for a viewing. Post here if anyone is interested.

I know that doesn't help you in wellington Grant, I will do some investigation into where and when the DVD will be available.

As for the boat in the picture, it was called 'Cygnet' by memory, the owner was a real salty old seadog and a really cool guy, we used to love listening to his stories as kids.. He lived on the boat in Picton down by the ferry terminal for many years. I reckon he was actually part of the inspiration for the snow petrel trip.

I remember him saying that he only actually went about 450nm south until he found the first berg, took some photos then came home.

Snow petrel has actually sold now and Ben has just brought a 40ft aluminium petersen (I think) design. planning to it that one out for similar adventures one day.

A video of another craze trip the brothers have done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYFV7C9 ... w&index=10

:clap: New DVD Snow Petrel Down Under is in a few kiwi shops now - RNZYS shop and Boat books in Westhaven, Capital books in Wellington, Adventure Books in Oamaru and Wheelers Auckland. More being printed. Selling well in Oz too. It's a re-edited version of the original - pretty awesome to watch. Check out nzmaid.com. Check it out booboo.

Archived