Round North Island NOR

Duty Free

Yes looks

Like a good fleet. Anyone else planning to do the coastal 2 up?

A little concerned about starting with the rock star fully crewed boats who are doing the a2b but I,m sure they will be nice.

19 entries now

Only 6 spots left

Not to bad for 3 days

But don't worry, if you miss out, there will be another one in 3 years

Due to marina berth availability in Napier

Once we know who's entering we may be able to allow more but it's looking like a real squeeze at this point.

We will accept additional entries as I'm sure not everyone will get to the startline for whatever reasons

Good to see so many repeat customers -obviously didn't get enough punishment last time. Plus those that have just completed the Central Triangle too.

We look forward to you all making it to Welly this time!

Only one spot left and interesting almost half are from outside Auckland.

Not sure about this help from God business Smithy, wouldn't that make you 3-handed or at least breaking outside assistance rules?

A colleague entered an Iron Man last year - $900. Remember this entry includes marina berths in Napier and Wellington as well as trackers. Plus all the running about to get people at the 3 stop-overs. Only $1400 if you're late.

$900-$1400 to enter???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Perhaps someone can explain to me why these races cost so much to enter? Seems far outside the realms of possibility for folks like me. :(

Well..... it keeps out the riff raff?

Sorry... couldn't resist :lol:

Only one spot left and interesting almost half are from outside Auckland.

Not sure about this help from God business Smithy, wouldn't that make you 3-handed or at least breaking outside assistance rules?

Nah. It's in the NORs.. Divine intervention doesn't count... So I'm praying!! (For a donation of a code zero FOC from Norths cos they like me! :D )

Entry fee of $900-950 is actually a great deal.

The RNI is actually an expensive race to run. It takes up 2-3 weeks and although the SSANZ committee don't get paid they are not expected to have volunteering to help run the race cost them either. Having said that I know not all expenses were claimed so effectively they have personally subsidised the race to some degree as well...

Last event saw over 50k Total of outgoing monies...and we didn't have Trackers then!

Where does the money go ?

Accommodation

Airfares

Rental Cars

Prizegivings

Marina berthage

Meals

Flags

phone bills

thank you gifts/donations to supporters and organisations that make the event possible

Engraving

Prizegiving subsidy

etc etc

So 25 boats at $900 =22500. Hopefully the weather plays the game and the fleet finishes in 2 weeks this time and reduces our costs (that really stuffed the budget last time). We will get some more income from sponsors, clothing sales and prizegiving tickets. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that SSANZ won't be getting rich from the event.

Compare to the Coastal Classic... 150-200+ boats @ $180 per boat... say $31500 in entries. Plus they get more sponsorship dollars... and the race only takes 1 day... Only 1 start and 1 finish to worry about.

Or even better say an Ironman. Taupo Ironman costs $834.75 1600 entries earns a cool $1335600 ! And it's all over in a day and all at one location!

Also the entry fee as a percentage of the cost of competing in the race is relatively small. I'm sure all competitors will spend far more on sails and safety gear...

Compare to the Coastal Classic... 150-200+ boats @ $180 per boat... say $31500 in entries. Plus they get more sponsorship dollars... and the race only takes 1 day... Only 1 start and 1 finish to worry about .

The last 2 years, not one cent from sponsors and a third of the entry fee goes in water taxis. We made a $10000 loss last year.

But yeah, running any race that finishes away from home is expensive. RNI entry fee is cheap and the last thing I'd worry about if I had the readies in money and time to do the race

I'm sure it will be the lowest cost aspect of the race. But obviously not a barrier to the twenty four entrants. When I read Cameron's list I'm surprised it doesn't cost more!

Mariner insurance is already all over it. Hitting on current RNI entrants that they insure for higher premiums and excess. Sign of the times i suppose. Offshore racing has never been the cheap alternative! :think: :think:

Archived