NZ sailing sucks...

B00B00

... and the reason may be this...

I notice that single handed and two handed sailing is getting bigger in Auckland and crewed boat racing is slowing up.

The reason for this may be the same reason crewed sailing in San Fran is still big and crew are easy to find.

In NZ the owners of most race yachts ask the crew to pay a "crew fund" to help support the boat running cost.

In SF, the owner buys the boat, has the fun of helming the boat, gets the pleasure of winning the trophies/prizes, and get some money back when he sells it.

He also expects NO money from the crew, will supply food, beer, and even spirits for the post race drinks. many will supply crew gear too.

All the sailing I,very done in the US has been at no cost to me or any other crew. And I have some nice gear to show for it.

The owners refuse any help and feel shamed if you offer. Their thoughts are..." I,m getting the pleasure of having someone help sail my boat" why ask them to pay me to work for me!

In NZ the owners may be poorer? But to pay to be rail meat, then have to help out while the owner gets all the accolades is seen as complete madness by many American yacht racing owners.

Back in the day, crew never paid a fund in NZ, when did it change?... 1990?ish

I agree

Me personally on my boat, I don't agree.

I don't ask my crew for money, however we are a bunch of mates who have fun - so I don't think any of them consider themselves rail meat. Everyone is part of the crew with a role to enjoy. I typically have rum on board, but can't remember the last time I purchased beers or snacks - crew always bring those.

However, when we did the Coastal last year, the guys threw in some coin as they wanted to do the race. The entry fee, Cat 3 cert and race specific insurance all cost. However we made a 5 day trip of it and spent 3 days cruising back. Different to a race up, skipper gets off and the crew drive the boat straight home.

I reckon you've oversimplified it a bit, and you could be sailing on the wrong boat(s) :shh:

I'd never try and charge my team to come for a yacht with me - they do bring the drinks though, and I don't.

But turning out a full crew for every race can be difficult and I'd imagine for some the hassle and getting let down (esp at short notice) can drive them to shorthanded events.

I've had a really reliable team recently and feel very fortunate.

I've never come across it. In 30 years of adult sailing and racing all over the place, as work and pleasure, I have never once been asked to pay to sail on a boat.

I can imagine it in certain circles but I've never seen it in action. Maybe it's more like "Can you believe it? We've told him he has to pay, and he still wants to come." or you're not as popular or as good as you think you are. :twisted:

In NZ the owners of most race yachts ask the crew to pay a "crew fund" to help support the boat running cost.

I have never been asked to pay to go sailing as crew.

I've never been asked to pay to sail in Auckland, nor have I heard of owners doing this.

For the last couple of seasons we've (entirely voluntarily) given the owner some money as a contribution (

In any case, what's the harm if it means everyone can go sailing? I would be more than happy to pay my way if it meant it was more affordable for the guy who owns the boat (and takes on all the expense and risk that involves).

My two cents.

all these years I must of been teleported to SanFran as well

What a w^&#$@r, with an attitude like that I can see why you have to pay to get a ride, even then I wouldn't want to sail with you.

Don’t think I’ve ever asked any of my crew for any kind of financial contribution. However if someone on my boat has a particularly useful skill, i.e. a sail maker, electronics or whatever I do ask for their help in that area. I also ask for peoples time for deliveries etc. If I couldn’t get that help I wouldn’t own a race boat.

On the occasions that I have been in somone elses crew and they ask for a contribution for something like a hotel room for the night in Russel or whatever, I have no problem paying up. Because I know that $130 is small change compared to what they've spent getting their boat to the startline for us.

I expect crew to pay for/get their own gear. I try and encourage then to join a club. I pay for everything else including beer but if someone does does bring some drinks along or contributes somehow it's much appreciated.

NZ sailing doesn't suck but has a few issues - mostly related to people being time poor. There are plenty of cool boats sitting around

but they don't go out as everyone is working long hours and sitting in traffic etc. There are a lot of people who are keen to sail but when push comes to shove cant make it for the race/series - the really irritating ones are the one who don't realize this and let you down at the last moment.

Observation with no facts to back it up: Women are far less tolerant of the bloke buggering off for days on end sailing while leaving them holding the baby than perhaps they were in the "heyday" of sailing.

Done a bit of sailing over the years.

"back in the day" we used to all chip in and at least supply the grog for the boat and/or shout the owner a beer up the club.

Helped to build several boats, why so i could go sailing.

Now, still chip in for the drinks and would hassle other crew that turn up each time drink the beer and never contribute.

last few years mainly sailed on two boats, one, spent several weekends on getting it re-fitted.

The other i'm mean't to be working on it now and will when i can

I would often go to the boat and do maintenance anyway or check all is ok if the owner is not in town.

why, because i appreciate the costs involved in racing a boat and the time needed to have it ready.

if more crew appreciated the costs and time involved we would all be better off.

to many crew do think they are pre-modonna's

I also think this is why we have lost a lot of our fleet, the owners don't ask for money and not enough of the crew contribute.

Especially when it is to get a boat ready to go offshore.

I would bet that most crew would have no idea how much it costs to have a boat on a marina and race it regularly !

I did enquire when I first started sailing in Auckland (I may be an Aussie but I do have some manners) and was told "I supply the boat, you bring the refreshments"

The systems works well except for this years Route 66 where everyone thought someone else was bringing the rum. Being a resourceful crew we did find a source a rum at 1am so crisis averted.

I suspect for the majority it never has. Maybe Marsh has pinned down just why you seem to think it has ;)

Never ask, exceptionally rarely been asked but do have crew who voluntary offer and I have voluntary offered myself. I have crew who are more then willing to chuck in some time when things need doing on the boat and I do the same on boats knot mine I sail on. Hell, most of the time I even enter using one of the crews names and most of the time let the crew take the booty, should we receive any. Talking general recreational here as I have been paid in the past to sail on/deliver/etc assorted boats for assorted reasons.

"back in the day" we used to be able to walk or even dance to the bar to get the crew a bevvie but these days I'm a broken old lemon wrapped in plaster
Just thought I'd correct that for you fella :lol: :lol: Yeap, still finding it funny :thumbup:

bla bla bla ... rubish, crap, more crap to wind you up... bla bla bla...

This is a wind up ... it's got to be. :lol:

We have it bloody good over here, the Auckland racing is excellent and the location is one of the best in the world..

bla bla bla ... rubish, crap, more crap to wind you up... bla bla bla...

This is a wind up ... it's got to be. :lol:

Agreed, hes got to be trolling or March's spot on.

Ive never been asked for money when racing other peoples boats, and id never ask for money to race mine.

Ive voluntarily chipped in with time and money on other peoples boats to help out, but only because i feel its the decent thing to do in return for the fun I've been having.

Agreed, hes got to be trolling or March's spot on.
It's both, but it does well to suck up a little wet Friday arvo time :)

Off the the Fizz boat, 4WD and fishing rod show now. I think I'll put my lifejacket on looking out the window :?

Yep maybe it is just a wind up and a troll, but just in case....

shorthanded racing has its own culture and attractions, on most boats both crew share all duties, there is much greater camaradre between the boats, even the biggest and most obnoxious boats and skippers on fully crewed boats morph into great friends and competitors when short handed. SH sailors know their sh*t stinks and if a task needs to be done, well you better do it, and it a hell of a lot of fun

The logistics of fully crewed racing are becoming more difficult as the demands on peoples time for other than pure recreation have increased, to build a competitive team on a yacht is far more difficult than say a rugby team where if you get a few injuries or people out of town for work etc there is plenty of highly competent back up available and any weaknesses can be dealt with via game plan or other team members just working a bit harder, this is far more difficult on a sailboat where everyone has an important role to play and the team aspect of sailboat racing is just as critical as rugby (maybe more so) but given the spread of talent across the fleet there may not be replacement talent just sitting around the dock waiting for a call, I have coached competitive at Prem rugby level over many years and that is a walk in the park compared to maintaining a fully wicked up sailing team.

Most other team sports have a high level of infrastructure in behind with a large and available player base to choose from.The hardest task is selecting from the available talent each week and often injuries and unavailable players can make the task easier in the short term.

As for the men and women who have sailed with me, I have been paid back a thousand times over through their care, commitment, and just being with like minded people who share the joy and responsibility of being part of a team.

Archived