NZ sailing sucks...

B00B00

Wikipedia definition of "troll"':-

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[4] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5]

And I've never called you a troll, but i am going to call you an idiot if you think posting a thread with that title won't get you into an argument.

Actually the reason why many "crew" members have not replied is more because we know where threads posted by certain individuals always tend to head and this thread has taken the same ole nose dive.

Actually the reason why many "crew" members have not replied is more because we know where threads posted by certain individuals always tend to head and this thread has taken the same ole nose dive.

Correct, but it also tends to make users stop reading the forums in general regularly because of peoples comments and BS going on in certain forums.

Maybe we need something like the coastal or RNI to hurry up and get here so we can have some decent local sailing talk going on.

Just my thoughts. I might be wrong.

Correct, but it also tends to make users stop reading the forums in general regularly because of peoples comments and BS going on in certain forums.

Yeah nah I dunno, I think people tend to like watching a good punch up or Train Wreck. We Kiwi's tend to sit around with a Beer and Chips and watch the fight cheering and sneering rather than get involved.

I have been around Websites long enough to see the cycles they take. There's more ups and downs than a Temperature History Graph :wink:

All in all though, there are some really good people here and many have become good personal friends.

What one does have to remember, is that this here Forum has a higher number of Racing Sailors than any other Boating Forum on the Net. That means a lot of competitive people in one place. Lots of Testosterone sprinkled with a good layer of BS. Also Kiwi sailors tend to be Boat owners that can actually "do it". Whether that be Sailing or fixing, the "do it" means few of us ask for instructions. Typical Kiwi bloke thing that. But you only have to look at some of the oversea's Forums and see the questions asked all the time, which only serves to make us Kiwi's wonder how the guy got to own a boat and is it a safe thing that he does. :wink:

But you only have to look at some of the oversea's Forums and see the questions asked all the time, which only serves to make us Kiwi's wonder how the guy got to own a boat and is it a safe thing that he does. :wink:

I've always thought that the availability of cheap accurate gps units as a huge contributing factor to people being in places and doing things that they really shouldn't be. Back in the 80's there were regular delivery trips back and forth across the Atlantic for the end of year charter seasons. Once gps was widely available the charter companies started selling berths and had flotillas crossing with only one or two paid yachtsmen. Sailing started to become far more "turn key".

I've always thought that the availability of cheap accurate gps units as a huge contributing factor to people being in places and doing things that they really shouldn't be.

Maybe. But I suspect there would be people out there today without a GPS if such didn't exist. I think it is a case of today, to own a boat you just need money. Back when I was a Kid, you actually had to have some brain cells, because to own a boat often meant you had to build it yourself first. I seem to remember back when I was a Kid, anyone that owned a Boat just seemed to have a clue about Safety. They took note of the weather and headed home as soon as the weather looked ominous. They ensured all on board had a lifejacket and that was in the days when they were uncomfortable to wear. You still wore one. They had a few tools on board for emergencies along with a few spares and they actually knew how to fix something. It was basic tidy good common sense. Those that didn't have any Brain cells built in Ferrocement :wink: (hey though I would get in first)

Ferro 'nuff wheels, good point but id like to see something more concrete rather than a hull lot of armature comments.

bit of a SEPTIC reply, TANKs all the same

Ferro 'nuff wheels, good point but id like to see something more concrete rather than a hull lot of armature comments.

bit of a SEPTIC reply, TANKs all the same

Bushman will be mortarfied when he see's he's missed out on all these crappy jokes.

back to the topic of crew funds. I've sailed in wellington, auckland, and been prof crew in the med.

Its a matter of supply and demand.

In wellington crew funds are a pretty common thing because there are less boats than crew and it can be hard to find a spot on a good boat. Also conditions are tough on gear, the wind is higher, colder, more dense meaning sails and gear tends to wear out faster than in auckalofa.

Therefore skippers are able to ask for and crews are happy to pay a crew fund.

In Auckland boats are plentiful and good crew rare and valuable beasts. I wouldn't ask my crew for a crew fund. I'm lucky however, one of my crew sponsers the beer, another of my crew helps me maintain the boat and we all have a laugh. I'm happy to pay entry fees and pay for the boat as she's a family asset that we use for cruising and I get the talking stick.

Big boat sailing is a different more serious situation where owners need to attract and pay good sailors as the results of having muppets onboard could be catastrophic.

Archived