Eye Splicing

Hey All,

Got some 6mm Veclock cheap and want to splice a spinnaker shackle onto the end. I had a go at the core to core splice but the cover is just too damn tight. Don't really want to use a bowline cause that will just look ugly. Any ideas?? Am using it for spinnaker pole topping lift, and will use some more for the tweakers.

Cheers, Dan

Slide a bit of the core out from the cover. Splice the loop in to the core ignoring the cover. When done use 40,000 bastards and a huge pile of bad language, if required, to slide the cover back up as much as you can. Quick stitch and whip to stop the cover sliding back. Done.

Veclock is pretty much a core dependant rope so you'll drop bugger all in strength.

A bit of core will be exposed just around the loop bit but that'll work. Be nice if you could give the exposed Vectran a coat of something though as Vectran isn't a massive fan of UV. If you were cunning you could chop off a bit of cover and slide that over what will end up as 'the loop'. Stitch it nicely and it could be very hard to tell it from a normal splice, unless you are very close or have anal splicing issues a bit like myself ;) A lick of a rope coating product would work nicely as well.

There are tricks you can use to negate a bit of that tight cover issue but they are almost impossible to explain in writing.

Oh and Veclock due to it's slightly weird cover to core ratio is an arse to splice at the best of times. Big Ups for even trying. The cover is thicker and chunky on purpose so it's easy to grip by wet cold hands and grips/wears well in small cleats. I got some Veclock specifically for some control lines on my beast, it's great for that application. Actually I think that's about the only rope I've put on that wasn't customised in some way....and the anchor warps even if they were ordered from Germany especially for the job. It is a std production rope just one knot usually seen in NZ, or wasn't at the time. Yeap, I can be and often are that anal :)

Maybe Rigger might step in here but I would say, perhaps whipping with a stitch or 2

I'm more into older style rigging though am starting to used the modern gear as long as it can look the part on a 'traditionally' rigged vessel, looking forward to learning more, though will be getting the spikes out for some wire splicing later in the year if all goes to plan, as well as doing lots of worm and parcel with the lay turn and serve the other way.

Maybe Rigger might step in here but I would say, perhaps whipping with a stitch or 2

I'm more into older style rigging though am starting to used the modern gear as long as it can look the part on a 'traditionally' rigged vessel, looking forward to learning more, though will be getting the spikes out for some wire splicing later in the year if all goes to plan, as well as doing lots of worm and parcel with the lay turn and serve the other way.

Now there are a few terms I have knot heard for a while, I sliced up some halyard line the other month at the club, I wanted to teach the youg leran To Sail kids how it was done, but they did knot seem interested in learning the old ways, even the instructor was knot interested, hence why you see so many bowlines on vessels, I say if you are going to tie a Knot then at least tie the right one for the job

Knot Me, kind of like a Brummel lock splice and then slide the jacket back over the top?? Cheers for the advice.

:D I was going to say just that but didn't expect you to be so techmalodgeically knowledgeable. Silly me for the sad assumption.

I wouldn't think you'd need to lock it as the cover/stitch will do pretty much the same thing but more the merrier isn't a bad theory to run with.

Let the team know how you went.

While we have your attention KM: any comments on Vectran vs something springy like polyester for a pole topper, to reduce the loads being transmitted when the kite does the flappy thing?

Pole topper = low loads = polyester = Cheap = more coin for bevvies :thumbup:

I doubt you should be getting big loads on toppers. Downhauls Oh yeah, but knot toppers.

My beast has 6mm polyester double braid. And as I know you like to get quite technically like Mr M, it's a Donaghys in white with a black fleck attached to the pole bridal with an old school bowline and I recently added small caribina between the 2 so if it goes bad (can be read as the dick abaord runs a rope the wrong way) when solo it's a quicker fix. Always thinking..... ;)

I'm knot a massive fan of super non-stretch anything attaching to kites really. When it does that flappy thing I'd like to think the tiny amount of give in the ropes help keeps the flappy thing as a one hole free flappy thing. I do have dynemma, sorry Spectra, kite sheets but that's more to stop the freaking pole taking out the forestay. Mind you that Spectraspeed does have more give than a nice SK75 cored string.

Archived