RNZYS Auckland to Musket Cove Race - Starts 1 June

Zoe

Rescue Coordination Centre said that a crew member had gone overboard and was retrieved within about 10minutes. I'm waiting for more details.

That was regarding Outrageous Fortune by the way.

:? Am I the only one or do the J posts have a certain familiar ring to them?

Was out watching the start --and followed them out of the harbour, yep disappointing to have such a small fleet,

however Equilibrium and OF are well prepared vessels both, and things happen at sea, so it is good to hear that both are coming back down with everyone more or less intact onboard, they will both race another day.

After that I can only wish my old mate on the Wild Card a good race and the same to the happy team on the little pig. Both well campaigned, and if you saw all the partners of Squeeler enjoying themselves after the coastal as I did, it becomes obvious that sometimes a step back to the way we used to do it may bring more people to the start lines again.

if you saw all the partners of Squeeler enjoying themselves after the coastal as I did, it becomes obvious that sometimes a step back to the way we used to do it may bring more people to the start lines again.

Agreed, and even after the auckland-tauranga they were still having a good time. good bunch of people doing what they enjoy.

I'm told that Shane on Outrageous Fortune went overboard but was retrieved 10 minutes later. Gary has a cut on his neck but haven't been able to get any more details. They are heading into Opua with a 60 hour eta.

I think that is all the info to be had at the moment Chinook, understand Gary got the cut to his neck after diving in to assist. One big thank you to Gary.

Big ups to all the crew on OF to safely recover MOB , not a situation I would like to be in but I know all the crew are well practiced in these situations and Quentin doesn't take anything lightly. Look forward to seeing them all back shortly.

Thanks for letting us know about OF. Sometimes only hearing some is worst as the imagination can run away. OF has great crew onboard and if Quentin made the decision to return it has to be the right one. I am sure that it not any easy decision to make for a competitive yacht racer, but I commend him on having a great crew that looks after each other and knows about good seamanship!

Big ups to all the crew on OF to safely recover MOB , not a situation I would like to be in but I know all the crew are well practiced in these situations and Quentin doesn't take anything lightly. Look forward to seeing them all back shortly.

sailed a few miles with all of that crew myself. some more than others. Quintin is a fantastic skipper, one of the best, always as well prepared as he can be for any situation. To turn back would of been the best decision for crew and boat. They will all be gutted. Best we all focus on the result of ''all well on board." :clap:

Wow thats good to hear that Outrageous managed to do a full MOB rescue at see, hats off to the boys. And to be honest the three people on that boat that i would have said were least likely to turn around and head home would have been in this order:

1) Shane

2) Gary

3) Quentin

so im sure it was a decision not taken lightly and i agree with Marsh. anyone who puts out to see has the right to return or turn back for safety without judgement, Hey at least they are out there giving it a go which is more erffort than some of us here have done this year.

Yeah sorry, just a funny comment and the one above :lol: 10 minutes is a pretty fair time to retrieve but I bet it felt like a long lonely week in the water. We used to do a man overboard drill whenever we started a passage with new crew or charter. It wasn't so much as an example of how it's going to happen but it served better as a warning not to go over the side in the first place. I've been dragged by the harness behind the boat but never detached.

As for the low number of participants I believe that all sports naturally wax and wane and this drop coincided with the financial crash and the rise of the xbox. The financial crisis may yet provide lots of cheap boats to new people looking to start sailing, plus a load of soul searching by clubs, ynz and us. It's the same all over, even rugby numbers are down i believe. It'll come good again in one form or another.

Now it appears the thread trasher/s have been sent to the naughty corner lets resume normal coverage ....

Outrageous. Any further news about everyone's health?

Can Vodaboat (101miles to go) do 4 times the speed of the Mair Mobile Vision (26mls to go) and pip them on the line?

I must say that while it's knot a large fleet it's certainly punching above it's weight in generating news.

Regarding OF. The info I have is that Shane fell overboard and Gary received lacerations in the neck area attempting to help him. There are a number of advanced medic certified people on board, everyone is OK, & they have not asked for an evacuation so can assume anything is under control. It was decided that Opua was a better option than continuing to Fiji.

Congratulations to the crew on their seamanship, hard to express enough gratitude.

Looks like a good finish. By my calcs VF has around 60 miles to go doing 30 knots. Should be there in time for happy hour!

The guys on the boat are accountable to eachother not to any of us. If they decide to pull the plug so what. It's their choice to make. The first committment a crew has is to keep themselves and eachother, and the boat, safe. I'm sure the world will keep turning in-spite of boats withdrawing from this race.

Hi Sea Turtle

Equilibrium had the alternator issue. Outrageous Furtune had the MOB. Thats two different boats.

PS, you sound like someone else, a friend of the now absent troll gunner?

I've absolutley no probelm with Jacaranda's different point of view, but the repetitive nature of his posts and rude and discurteous behavouir gets a bit tiring. To be fair others are rude as well, but generally in response to the instigator.

And here comes 'Squealer'...pretty exciting race going on for PHRF and IRC prizes...no mention on the race site and I not sure how accurate the race placings are on tracker but I think Wild Card and Squealer are still in the hunt for both PHRF and IRC homours and it gonna be close between them as well

Archived