RNZYS Auckland to Musket Cove Race - Starts 1 June

Zoe

And here comes 'Squealer'...pretty exciting race going on for PHRF and IRC prizes...no mention on the race site and I not sure how accurate the race placings are on tracker but I think Wild Card and Squealer are still in the hunt for both PHRF and IRC homours and it gonna be close between them as well

The breeze is frshening and here comes "WILD CARD."

At 1400 hrs Squealer - the smallest boat in the fleet - had 16 hours left to sail about 167 nautical miles, to finish by 05:58:25hrs tomorrow and take out PHRF honours in the Auckland to Musket Cove race.

At the boat's current speed of 8.9 knots, she'll take 17.9 hours to get there.

But, she is in good breeze now, that breeze is expected to freshen as she gets closer to her destination, and the South Easterly wind direction really suits her style.

"Everyone is hard at work getting the most out of the boat," reported a crew member yesterday, and they are very focused on a handicap win.

On the other hand, Wild Card only has 135nm through the center to cover, and is doing 9.8 knots and gaining speed now, but needs to finish by 23:38.22 tonight to take that honour.

At her current boat speed of 9.9 knots which is increasing all the time now, Wild Card will need slighly more than 13 hours to get to the finish.

Anything can and will happen on the deep blue seas, but if Wild Card and Squealer both finish, each boat will have about six hours over V5.

In the meantime, Equilibrium, which retired from the race several days ago after an electrical issue, has successfully completed repairs in Opua, and is now back enroute to Fiji. Navigator Ross Vickers told the sailing website Livesaildie.com that they had two options - to continue to Fiji and risk more serious damage to the boat's LI-ION batteries, or to return to Opua for repairs and then deliver the boat to Fiji enabling the owner to realise his winter cruising season, only four days behind schedule.

Outrageous Fortune is also safely in Opua, and two injured crew members are receiving medical attention.

Cray fish

I saw that video on facebook, looked like a pleasant sail but some creative maths working out the 15kt average over the 360nm.

The caption with the video says-

After withdrawing from the Auckland to Musket Cove race 2013, Equilibrium had a 360nm Downwind Send to get back to Opua, New Zealand. In 23 to 30 knots of wind with a reefed Mainsail and Frac Zero, the "cruising" orientated Botin-Carkeek 55 hit a peak of 23.7knots, sitting on 20+ for minutes at a time and averaging over 15 knots for the 360nm.

I had a look at the tracker and when they turned around they were 290nm from opua and it took them approx 31hrs to cover that distance. More like a 10kt average?

I saw that video on facebook, looked like a pleasant sail but some creative maths working out the 15kt average over the 360nm.

The caption with the video says-

After withdrawing from the Auckland to Musket Cove race 2013, Equilibrium had a 360nm Downwind Send to get back to Opua, New Zealand. In 23 to 30 knots of wind with a reefed Mainsail and Frac Zero, the "cruising" orientated Botin-Carkeek 55 hit a peak of 23.7knots, sitting on 20+ for minutes at a time and averaging over 15 knots for the 360nm.

I had a look at the tracker and when they turned around they were 290nm from opua and it took them approx 31hrs to cover that distance. More like a 10kt average?

It must be true, its on the internet :lol:

Straight Line was 290, actual sailed was 360 in 31hrs, so VMC was 9.35 with an average of speed of 11.6 so rounding up to the nearest 5 as required by Youtube's "talk it up rule" gives VMC 10, and ave speed 15. :D

The first 10 to 155hrs were spent in 3 to 6 knots of wind motoring at 7 to 8 knots with 3 to 4m of confused swell running out of each of the low pressure systems. The wind then came up to around 20 knots, but it wasn't until around 10 or 11 am the next morning that the ground swell cleaned up and we could really get some pace on.

Does not look like they are going to get the handicap wins.

Going to miss by about two hrs and some mins approx

Are they sailing with Spinnakers, they are in 20 plus knots breeze. It would appear they would have to increase speed by about 4 knots plus.

Race Update 07/06/13 1830hrs

We have just received notification from Taupo Maritime Radio that at 1815hrs Squealer was dismasted. All are okay on board and the crew are recovering the rig and will contact Taupo Radio with their plan once everything has been sorted on board.

At the time of dismasting their position was 20 02S 175 11E with approx 120 miles to Fiji.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/RNZYS?hc_location=timeline

Really turning into one of those that isn't over till the fat lady has had her moment. Wonder if enough of the rig will turn out to be salvageable for them to keep sailing?

That's a real bummer. Hope the Squealer can get a jury rig going to get them across the line after all the effort they have put in.

Gutted for the crew on Squealer. Know the feeling of loosing a rig. A cruel blow after a strong race. But great to hear everyone is safe.

Sounds like a no to the question of a jury rig - below from the Squaddy site:

Race Update 07/06/13 2100hrs

Received Radio sked from Taupo Radio. All well on board Squealer. Rig Recovered. Motoring to Fiji.

Just read about Squealer. I am gutted for them. They are a great bunch. We did our offshore survival with them, and the way they do everything together is very cool. All the best to them. I hope they get to Fiji OK and that repairs are not too expensive. I am sure they will be back!! Go the mighty Squealer!

Well that was the race of many twists. There are some photos of Squealer safely arrived in Fiji, on the RNZYS website and Facebook page. It's great to see them with happy smiles on their faces after all that.

The full results were on the race page on the RNZYS website... but I can see that the link isn't working at the moment for some reason. Multihulls and keelers have never been on the same page with regards to handicap systems, so we don't have a handicap result for them.

V5 took PHRF honours in a corrected time of 139:17:50, and Wild Card was 142:31:05 on corrected time. Wild Card was the only IRC finisher so took that honour.

Archived