Shoalcraft 30

I'm in the market for a Shoalcraft 30. I've sailed and had an inspection of the 'mothership' Moonfire. It's in a sad state, but possibly not a goner. I do NOT want one on which the cabin top has been extended forward. The original design is splendid, but... errr... not the above-mentioned. anything considered.

Don't know of any but there are a couple down here, always liked the roominess of them and thought they would make a great family boat for harbour and coastal stuff, the shallow draft would get you into a lot of places (i.e. upper Tauranga harbour) others can't go. good luck in your search.

I owned Muffin a shoal craft in Auckland for about 15 yrs. I understand it was one of the first out of the mold, fitted out in mostly used Kauri and Mahogany by the owner. Beautifully finished. Power by Nanni 30hp diesel. Great family boat not all that fast and did not point high compared with more modern designs no doubt not helped by wide beam forward but roomy inside. Great inshore sea boat. Managed 9 knots in  brisk SW reach but broke the goose neck, so limped home under motor. Sad to let her go when I had to move to SI.

We have a Shoal craft 30. Mk 2 with walk through transom. Enjoy the shoal draft. Sails well but slow. Average 4.5kts. Would never do the speed mentioned in earlier note. They are a great hauraki gulf cruiser.

Cheers Lloyd Farrand

Sorry but all the ones after Moonfire (the plug) had longer cabins some stepped in a sort of Townson style some later ones one level. One thing to note is that the various owners shifted the centrecase on the glass ones so they dont go to weather like Moonfire did in the 80s when we raced her. Cal designed a good boat with Moonfire but I doubt he got any royalties from the Molded hulls.

On 30/05/2013 at 10:48 AM, Neilk said:

I'm in the market for a Shoalcraft 30. I've sailed and had an inspection of the 'mothership' Moonfire. It's in a sad state, but possibly not a goner. I do NOT want one on which the cabin top has been extended forward. The original design is splendid, but... errr... not the above-mentioned. anything considered.

Hi i have a Shoalcraft 30 that as the Chris Brimmer cockpit extension for better cruising and racing. Saltydog is well known out of BBYC but currently relocated on farm for a repaint.

Hi, I've recently purchased a Shoalcraft 10M 'Stream Weaver'. Does anybody have a copy of the design specs or measurements that indicate exactly where the keel box is and therefore where it can/can't be placed on a trailer (with blocks) to haul out for anti-fouling? I'm sure I could swim under the boat and work it out, but I thought I'd try the easy approach first! Thanks Simon

On 26/03/2022 at 4:28 PM, SimonB said:

Thanks for that, I can't seem to find his details anywhere.

Hi Simon 

I have just purchased Muffin as mentioned by Gordon. She comes with a cradle fit for purpose. Your welcome to get in touch if want to use it at some stage .

cheers 

Kev 

Hi I'm Sean

I own Guinness, I believe she was called Swamp Fox originally. I'm up at the Weiti with Shoalhaven and Muffin. I've had the boat for two years now, she was in Whangaroa, from Sandspit/Halfmoon bay from Tauranga.

Have removed all my ballast and recast it in a hull section shape so it's more compact. Have a steel mould if anyone wants to use it. Re engined with 3gm30 etc, my rudder post appears to be about a foot further forward than all the others I've seen.

I'm going to borrow Kev's cradle so I can get the centre board out soon. it appears to have a fist size whole in the tip, not sure what's in that hole, appears to be not much, does anyone know what the construction material/methodolgy is or was. I'm guessing it's glass over timber or glass over timber frame with foam etc. 

Cheers

Sean 0278361630

On 22/03/2022 at 2:50 PM, SimonB said:

Hi, I've recently purchased a Shoalcraft 10M 'Stream Weaver'. Does anybody have a copy of the design specs or measurements that indicate exactly where the keel box is and therefore where it can/can't be placed on a trailer (with blocks) to haul out for anti-fouling? I'm sure I could swim under the boat and work it out, but I thought I'd try the easy approach first! Thanks Simon

Simon B  Chris here. Can you tell me is she still up north? I would love to see some photos of her now. It made a huge difference to her sailing when I added the extension.

On 29/03/2023 at 4:05 PM, Chris B Yachts said:

Simon B  Chris here. Can you tell me is she still up north? I would love to see some photos of her now. It made a huge difference to her sailing when I added the extension.

Hi Chris B,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Yes, Stream Weaver is still up North - in Doves Bay, Kerikeri.

I will certainly post a few pics.