Polars

broadoak

After the interesting responses to my last question I am eagerly awaiting responses to this one :lol: Does anyone have the polars for a Lotus 1280? She may have been built before these were routinely done, but I am hoping some diligent Lotus owner or some other interested party may have worked them out and would not mind sharing the information. Here's hoping Cheers :D

If you can't get hold of any polars, an ORC rating certificate will produce fairly accurate polars for your boat. They used to be about $70 nz, but went up a whole lot, maybe $250. Google ORC club. I think they can also produce just detailed polars, I.e. not a handicap rating, again for a fee though.

At the risk of seeming ignorant, may I ask what 'polars' are please?

I subscribe to 'the only silly question is the one you don't ask' school of thought.

Glad you asked. You were braver than me :clap:

Then the interesting bit. Is you make up a sheet like this that will tell you what speeds you should be hitting at what wind speed and angle.

image.jpg

Yes but I'm not that clever

The designer usually produces them but the serious only use these as a starting point, then you start recording your speed,wind angle and speed to compare or you can build your own from scratch.

Some chartplotting software run on a laptop when connected to your wind gear can record and produce your actuals

Archived