ETNZ VS LR in SF

Battleship

Very impressive. I wonder If they would actually have that much distance to actually pass before they ran into a boundry? Hopefully that was just raw speed and not Luna Rosa holding back.

That’s yet another very cool video – I guess it’s hard to know if there’s any sandbagging going on, but it seems to me that foiling and sandbagging at the same time would be a pretty clever trick!

While the number of teams for this Cup is disappointing, and there could be some real mis-matches, watching them rip around the track will still be entertaining I think.

Technical and possibly dumb question and thread diversion sorry - I’ve been wondering what gear or system these boats use to fasten the fully or part lowered centreboard foil. With what I understand is about 6 tonne of boat/platform to support, this must be a pretty loaded item if the leeward hull isn’t going to simply slide down the board rather than lift off, yet they seem to adjust these without too much drama (flick of a rope and the board just drops down). I presume some basic physics apply here (that I’ve obviously missed!), with some kind of side force within the centrecase that keeps it in place?

As for the foils, my guess is one line to haul it up and let it fall. And two lines to hold it down via some kind of very strong clutch type thing. The foil case might have rollers to help it move under load?

I'm not sure if they need any power to haul it down as gravity does that and if it is in the water they can trim it for no lift so would still go down.

It would be nice to find out some of the many secrets to these machines once the racing is over.

Did anyone notice that prada looked to be going decidedly sideways when foiling at full height.

Kind of makes sense when you think about it as there's not much cb in the water for lateral resistance.

I reckon ride height going upwind will be key.

Did anyone notice that prada looked to be going decidedly sideways when foiling at full height.

Kind of makes sense when you think about it as there's not much cb in the water for lateral resistance.

I reckon ride height going upwind will be key.

In a video ETNZ has extreme leeway drift as well.

Archived