Help with school project - anyone been in a raft or rescued

Bullrush

Hi all - Tristan (12) is doing a school project and wants to know if anyone has been in an exciting/dangerous offshore race or situation.

The project in particular is focusing on extreme conditions, and what it took to get through (human wise).

Maybe it doesn't have to involve a raft or total loss of the boat, but if anyone has a tall tale to tell that he could relay he'd really appreciate it.

You can either post on here or PM to me...

Please excuse us if we don't reply for a week or two, we are without email for a few weeks from this weekend :D

Janine & Tristan

Know what a 100ft wave looks like, know when the swell forecast is 22m things get interesting but when the ship(2200 tonnes) broaches on a 100ft wave and travels sideways to hit the bottom of the trough at 35kt's and well past it's roll over point...... :?: :?: :?:

That looks like about right Jordan :thumbup: You have done pretty well at accumulating extreme offshore experiences in a few short years.

If Tristan is happy with the written version and it isn't necessary to talk to the person directly, I recently re-read the account from the guys off Green Hornet, which is a good read. It is in Salt Beneath The Skin or the second one in that series but I might also have it somewhere as a pdf.

Thanks Jordan...your story would be awesome..I think you wrote something on here about it a while ago didn't you....I will have a look.....if I cant find it we will email you back...he might just want to ask you a couple of questions :)

I read the Green Hornet one a few years back too...I think it was in a book of sea misadventures, but all my stuff is in storage...I recall a dodgy raft with the roof blowing off from memory...

Brian Murray was on The Green Hornet which sunk in the 2 Handed Melbourne / Osaka race. His story is quite amazing and he is a great story teller and genuine all around good bloke. There is a documentary on the sinking which was on Discovery channel which one of the crew has on DVD which you could probably get a hold of if you are interested? Brian would probably also be quite happy to have a chat. Happy to ask him if you are interested?

Archived