A2B take a Southlander home!

Notorious will be supporting and entering this great race. Not only will we enjoy the fantastic scenery, challenging conditions and competitors who have a crack at beating us - but also support a new event for NZ ocean racing.

The fact that Southland has credited solid financial support behind this race is good enough for this boat. Notorious is sponsored by FRENZ who services the dairy farm industry and many Southland farms.

We challenge each boat to take a Southlander home! Do we have enough southern men (or women) to populate a sailing fleet with at least one on each yacht?

Once there - just think of the cruising potential in mid February - unbeatable!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What sailing fleet.........

The article in the latest trade a boat says that environment southland has pulled out of its $ 180K contribution for infrastructure costs and it seems the mayor Tim Shadbolt is scrambling to make this happen.

They might as well give up on this dumb idea now.

And if you you wanna go cruising in February, whats wrong with the Mercs, Barrier, BOI, Far North, I bet ya it's warmer.

The fact that Environment Southland hasn't committed is now irrelevant as the invercargill City Council has now committed addditional funding to 380,000 k which means that the Central Government Commitment is still intact.... local feelings are very mixed with some ratepayers abosulutely aghast that the city has committed budgeted and latterly unbudgeted reserve funds to the project.

Went to a public information evening the other night and in some spots it was downright hostile for the organisers/ promoters/ owners.

The negativity surrounding this race blows me away. Firstly as a sailor I do not want to take anything away from Southland or the taxpayer. Money is scarce and a yacht race that goes beyond the Barrier and the BOI would a great adventure and challenge for any sailor, man or woman.

Cruising to Stewart Island and around Fjordland after the race would simply be legendary as would be circumnavigating NZ. Why is that so difficult to see and understand?

There will always be people who have a problem with throwing money at Yachting. Others who support funding towards yachting will moan about where the money goes - if its not where they think it should go.

There will always be debate around funding towards sports. Debate is good but should not stop decisions on funding - we would all loose.

I have been to Southland many times and found the Southern hospitality legendary. Sure some people will not like the $$ spent on the event - but others will.

My suggestion to take a southlander home is exactly about engaging the sl community with this race. For Each person on the boats the will be a team of supporters in Southland.

Why not make a difference and support rather being a moaner? I am sure there is plenty that could be done better but lets start it first. I would love to see this race to promote and unite NZ.

Yes you can do it that way

Or you could do it the way SSANZ did it last year,

Take nothing, leave plenty

different mission different goals. I am 100% behind SSANZ - but this is about something else.

My suggestion to take a southlander home is exactly about engaging the sl community with this race. For Each person on the boats the will be a team of supporters in Southland.

A very GOOD suggestion, IMHO. It will add a lot of interest for the locals in Southland. The smaller cities and towns in NZ seem to always have more "local" focus in their news and radio stations.

It is quite different to the Auckland scene simply because we are so many diverse people and so spread out. Any issues locally say within 5km from ones' home, are generally of no concern to those living 20 to 35km who never go to that suburb anyway.

By contrast, Invercargill city is concentrated within a relatively small CBD area with a compact grid street system.

Yes you can do it that way

Or you could do it the way SSANZ did it last year,

Take nothing, leave plenty

different mission different goals. I am 100% behind SSANZ - but this is about something else.

Maybe, but what are those goals?

Build a Marina at Bluff, local council put some in Government put lots in, all in the name of yachting? Some film maker getting some sailing footage?

Sure there may be a few cruiser racers who would enjoy a stay in Bluff and a lesurly cruise back up from there, the beautiful sounds and so on, but will that suit any of the racing fraturnity? I thought this was going to be a race, not some cruising rally?

And if YNZ was concerned about the "off shore race fleets", surely they would have talked to the Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Napier, Tauranga, Gisborne ........ race fleets, and maybe designed a RNZ or RNI style race that included the active racing home ports? Is there a big "offshore racing fleet" in Bluff?

There is only one or two race boats expressed intrest to date, and one has been misled that "all the NZ race fleet would be there".

I think it is a pitty that energy and potential resorce has been put into an unlikely bet, when with forsight and promotion, barges and big marques, there could have been a carnival that maybe stopped two or three or even four times and which would have been patronised by 20-30 local race boats with maybe a hand full of genuine overseas race boats too?

Time will tell!

After spending time in Bluff coming back from down Antartica why would you go there. We had 50knot sw one day leaving there, and that was a good day. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Just Wondering - have they given up on this dumb idea yet????

OR are they still dreaming of getting some sort of fleet to the start line.

Obviously its not going to happen at all, such a shame to see money ear marked for promotion of a yacht race wasted on a dream. when it could have been used to develop existing races in NZ.

Notorious is no longer in it - we're in the RNI race instead. We would have done tis one but no guarantees that it was going ahead so going for a "character builder"

Word on the street is that the A2B has been cancelled.

Media release latter this week......

Bit of a shame, however I never really thought they would get the numbers required to support a big race like this.

Word on the street is that the A2B has been cancelled.

Media release latter this week......

Bit of a shame, however I never really thought they would get the numbers required to support a big race like this.

Archived