Can the AC really be taken serioulsy

This is just bollocks. How can they possibly change the design rules at this late stage. I guess what it does show is Oracle is seriously worried. It is nothing new for the Americas cup where the defender (not always I know) will stop at nothing to hang on to the cup. That is what has always made the Americas cup not just a yacht race, more a fascinating ego fest between very wealthy individuals along with cutting edge design only possible because of all that money which is why I for one like to follow it.

Its all part of the fun and what makes the AC such a unique event. They are just trying to shake up ETNZ and its probably working. Mind games.

When we first won the cup in '95 it was done after masses of cheating by the Yanks. I think including Dennis Connor getting hold of Mighty Mary as he knew it was faster than Stars & Stripes. The rules strictly forbade that sort of thing & NZ won anyway. No one in the NZ camp gave a sh*t.

And I doubt they do this time either...

But rich mans tomfoolery has always been seen as bollocks by everyone else. Surely no one is surprised by this?

...why knot?

it is simply a differant game.

Its so much now about rule bending and money.(always has been)

I was so sure a long time ago that some one was going to get hurt if this idea continued.

Its sailing gone to the world of American motor sport.

Lets be blunt..

They brought the course into land for ...why ? Spectators ! And for why ?

And what do spectators (and sponsors want) entertainment !!!

Like formular one motor GP , there is test possibilities on the race track for product development.....but...who are the sponsors here ?

It has gone from a bunch of wealthy ego driven dudes to a bunch of wealthy media hungry corps.

As a young super sailor, why wouldnt you want to jump on the fastest, most advancened, most dangerous, vessel afloat ? and get payed big dollars for it ?

But they should be honest about it from the start.

The Ozzie wing keel was much more about making the boat lighter, than the keel benifits itself.

An ability to "cheat the rules". Very clever in the day.

Perhaps that changed the AC from a bunch of patriotic , rich, ego driven dudes, to a no holds barred galdiator sport. (Which is so good for media sponsorship).

To me it is Pure !

That is pure top end money fueled crazy, nasty, dangerous, exciting, entertainment.

As the rider should always say,

"Dont try this at home"

The AC has never been taken seriously has it? As AA points out this type of "tomfoolery" has been seen before.

Sid and his mates once said it - "Never mind the bollocks". Made a bit of coin from that one too I think.

Still going to a spectacle & whether you like ploughs or skimmers, I reckon there will be shiploads of us watching - or at least wanting to.

Archived