Famous schooner Nina

John B

I've been on about getting up to 28 to 30 on 165 and going west to anyone who'll listen ,since the 27th, so I'm relieved there's someone else thinking the same way.

lets just keep on with the hope eh.

When I last crossed the tasman in winter (and swore never again) we got within sight of New Cal trying to get over the top of some weather.

Flew over Middleton on the 14th in perfect weather -no new inhabitants, didn't know that they were missing then, great people and a nice old boat to race against last year in the coastal. Still hoping...

Just WTF is this supposed to mean???

Families of the missing crew have held a news conference in Texas, telling media they believe their relatives are still alive after a red dot was spotted on a map thousands of miles from the search area.

I really wish the media would focus more on finding out the facts and writing something worth f**king reading than just churning out nonsensical crap ad nauseum.

I feel sorry for the family!

But the reality is that they are most likely to have drowned, it is nature of our sport that some times things don't go as we have planed

We have to work with the facts and just because some of the family feel that they are alive does not mean we should speed hundreds of thousand of dollars look for some thing that is not there

You cannot discount this red dot thing out of hand. Sounds like to me that thousands of satellite photos exist of the wider area and a limited number are farmed out to volunteers to scan. This sounds very much how amateur astronomers find significant objects in outer space. So it must work! The only problem I see with it as in this case if something is seen what do you do about it? The photo might be old and you could spend heaps chasing down a bit of flotsam. May have application in the future though.

Human nature I'm afraid. I suspect if I was one of the family members involved, I'd be doing the same thing. Would really hate to be haunted by even the faintest possibility that loved ones survived the sinking, spent weeks adrift in a liferaft, and _might_ have been rescued if only the search had gone a little longer / further / wider.

More confirmation of where boats/ jetsam go

NZ barge turns up in Oz after year adrift

A BATTERED and worn oyster barge has successfully completed the notorious trip across the Tasman, turning up in northern Australia one year after it went missing from New Zealand.

The barge, which was reported missing from Houhora in the Far North region of New Zealand in August last year and suspected stolen, has been found between Cape Bedford and Cape Flattery in far north Queensland.

It was found riddled with cracks and holes in the hull and the finder, Ross Garnsey, says it's amazing it had managed to stay afloat for the entire journey.

Damage to the barge's motor suggests it spent some of the voyage upside down, Mr Garnsey said.

The vessel, called the Facilitator 2, was believed to have been stolen when it went missing last year, with several sightings being reported but not confirmed.

Houhora police Constable Tracee Knowler said it was unknown if the barge had in fact been stolen, or whether it had broken its mooring.

"It may be difficult after all this time to determine how the barge ended up so far from home," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wo ... public_rss

The problem is those sat photos are so poor that it could just about be any cruiser hove to. Is that the sept 15 sighting ? Thats supposed to be 180 miles west of Norfolk, not ' near Australia'

It would be great if they found them, but I think it is very unlikely. If the boat was floating, it is vaguely possible they are still alive. Similar chances to winning lotto I reckon.

If it is still afloat, I think I could make some sort of jury rig by now. There are just too many variables, maybe no rudder, cant steer. Boat was full of water, all electrics gone. But it had an epirb, if there is anyone left, why was it not set off? Did it have solar panels - sealed batts, handheld radio, sat ph (yes it did) etc etc

That pic is by far more likely to be another vessel - it's the season now for return to Ausy/NZ, although 180 nm west of norfolk is not really on the path to anywhere...

There but by the grace of God got the rest of us...

Well, we're just coming into that 'migration' time with lots of boats beginning to head down here from the islands, including New Cal. So there's going to be some increased traffic through the general North Tasman area area..... If there's something to be found then over this next month is when.

I'm flying up on sunday myself ,and on a boat heading Noumea to Sydney sometime next week.

edit snap!. Would you rhumb line it Noumea to North cape IT? or bank some west?

Archived