Famous schooner Nina

John B

Depends on the forecast, and my interpretation of the weather maps. When I came down last year we did have some west - went to norfolk for 30 hours, waiting for a system to pass. 180 miles out is a long way! Norfolk is 107 miles off the rumb line...

And 1/2 knot drift since that sept 15 picture ( say)over a month is 360 miles thereabouts, whether thats back and forth or around in a circle ,...or a big northerly/ westerly sweep over towards Queensland.

Well, stranger things have happened.

The use of satellite images is great,but why start looking over 100's to 1000's of km?

Would it not be possible to go to the images from /of the day she last made contact. .... And find her, then look at next day etc. The area of image to be searched will be so much less. Maybe this has been done.

via email:

bloddy brillient and great idea !

The use of satellite images is great,but why start looking over 100's to 1000's of km?

This has me wondering about a previous thread where we were told of all the wonders Customs have at their fingertips - that they where watching averyone coming or going. Guess not.

The only way Customs know who is coming or going is through country to country communication, boats applying for entry (96 + hrs ahead of arrival) and or RNZAF Orion flyover.

They have been known to overfly Minerva reef and call all yachts on vhf asking their intentions / destinations.

This has me wondering about a previous thread where we were told of all the wonders Customs have at their fingertips - that they where watching averyone coming or going. Guess not.
They have the capability to aim one or more satellites but I doubt that's much help to Nina unless the Satt was tasked to look at that area at the time. Also I'd expect Customs can't afford to run a Satt all the time, hell they can't even afford fuel to run their 40fter all year so the Satt option would be for specific cases only. Besides you'd hope Customs and others don't task expensive satellite time to watching boat they have no interest in.

I've been over flown a lot and had intentions asked when Customs already knew exactly who we were and where we were going. Like taking big steel to aussie last Xmas. We never got hold of Aussie saying were were 96 hours out as the number they gave us went from 24hr monitoring to 9-5 monitoring due to budget cuts but no one told us. They still knew how were we were and a surprisingly close arrival time. No idea who as we took 4 days longer than we planed, no freaking wind for 9 days.

The powers that be know more than you'd think, they just don't want you to know it.

You do realise Satellites are like Binoculars don't you? They can only see what they are aimed at at the time, they can't see behind them or see other things outside of their field of view nor can they see back in time, or at least short time frames like less than 1000 years, probably a lot longer.

It seems the US military are quite likely to have high res photos but won't release them for whatever reason. But at best it's still a small needle in large haystack that contains a lot of things that look like needles but aren't.

As much as everyone wants to find them I think there is only 2 options left. One being they have gone deep. The other being a Rose Noell like event. Sadly the odds would suggest the former over the latter.

It seems the US military are quite likely to have high res photos but won't release them for whatever reason.

Except they don't willy nilly take pics of every square meter of Ocean or Land for that matter. They only take high res pics of specific want to know area's. And a lot of that kind of pic taking is going the way of Drones now. Satellites pics are subject to cloud and when a Sat is in position.

And earlier and on other websites there was much talk of satellite pictures of close to the day of last known position.

I forget the actual readings but it was a pretty deep low pressure system they were in and no satellite was going to be able to look through that.

Well, we just sailed through the lower coral sea a week/ 10 days ago, Noumea to Sydney was the intention , with a turn right to Brisbane in the end when a low deepended over NSW.

Nothing to report and not a lot of traffic in general either. A couple of ships on AIS , thats it.

Archived