Women's Yacht Racing New Zealand

Interesting to see the Women's Yacht Racing New Zealand trust being setup.

I seem to be remember Joy Adams and Jan Shearer had a very similar one a while ago. Is ladies sailing really dead ? there seems to be a lot of ladies out sailing, driving boats, winning nationals, going to Fiji, sailing 2 handed, is it just that we have moved on to a new level where skill rather than gender is how sailors get a role on a boat?

We have seen a significant increase in boats owned by ladies over the last 5 or so years. Both real boats and fizz nasties. Lots of fizz nasties actually, most being in the 35-40ft range so these are ladies with some means............ or a recent devoice settlement ;)

What's more they aren't dumb ladies and most do exhibit very good to very high levels of knowledge and skills. But the odd loonie I must admit.

Personally I think that's' great for everyone and good to see.

Surprising to hear about the plight of ladies racing in Auckland. Our ladies racing series is still going strong up here in Opua.

On a tenuously related note... I personally hate the term "ladies" racing - I don't know many "ladies" outside of their 80s. Most people of the female gender I know are women or girls.

There also seems to be two opposing attitudes towards women's racing - one, that it is supposed to be a fun, non-serious way to get women of all abilities on the water; and two, that it should be just as serious / competitive as any other racing, and the idea that a club would cancel a race on the basis of a slightly inclement weather forecast, for example, or that there should be no protests in a ladies race, is demeaning and offensive.

I'm not saying either view is right, in fact they both have their merits, but I guess it might be difficult to promote a women's series with such a difference in opinion about what it should be.

Its goals are to support female participation in fully crewed race yachts of all kinds whether all-female, women-helmed, or mixed gender crews.

What's a 'fully crewed' race yacht?

On a tenuously related note... I personally hate the term "ladies" racing - I don't know many "ladies" outside of their 80s. Most people of the female gender I know are women or girls.
Interesting comment as I did hesitate over exactly what word to use but went with ladies as I thought it showed a level of respect for the female species. I did ponder both women and girls but pegged women as boring and girls as a good way to get grizzled at.

If I was a wigger or a husband could I have safely used 'Bitch Racing'? :twisted: :wink:

From what I see it's like any club activity, when there is a keen group of really enthusiastic volunteers there to run it, it goes well. There was a great set up about 7-8 years ago and it was awesome. But people burn out and new ones don't want to put the time in and it boils down again until the next group get it going.

There are heaps of women out there sailing and racing, just not necessarily together in the same boats.

Interesting comment as I did hesitate over exactly what word to use but went with ladies as I thought it showed a level of respect for the female species. I did ponder both women and girls but pegged women as boring and girls as a good way to get grizzled at.

If I was a wigger or a husband could I have safely used 'Bitch Racing'? :twisted: :wink:

Not 100% sure KM but I don't think they are a different species?

Not 100% sure KM but I don't think they are a different species?
I live in a house chocker with them leaving me the token male. While I understand how you and many others may think how you do, I must beg to differ :wink: Don't get me wrong though, they are one of my more favoured species. They are right up there with Ocean Albatross, Tuna and Border Collies.

Looks like my boat will be doing some Ladies/women/girl racing next season. D2 and some mates are keen.

Looks like my boat will be doing some Ladies/women/girl racing next season. D2 and some mates are keen.

So - it's finally getting a new paint job then.

Pink or blue?

Archived