Young Rocket 780 or Ross 780?

Hey guys,

So my old man and I are looking at trailer yachts.

Would it be too much to ask for a opinion? positives and negatives? which goes better etc etc

There is both a rocket 780 and a Ross 780 on trade me at the moment, both of them we are looking at.

Any thoughts much appreciated! :thumbup:

Luke

are you crazy or just stupid? unless you want to risk your life on these light little open transom death traps then i would be looking at nothing less than a mk1 raven or maybe a nice little h28.

Not sure what jharkin is getting at, clearly he has never sailed many trailer yachts.

My only experience is with the Ross 780, both racing and cruising with the family for years, they are awesome boats, although a little tippy compared to the modern sports type trailer yachts.

But they are good honest trailer yachts that perform well in most conditions, also I would buy the Ross just because it would be easier to sell later I reckon.

They seem to be good value for money at the moment as well.

Ours was a glass one built by Hopwood, the woodies were demons on the race track but would need a good survey as they are getting on a bit these days

Let me know how how ya get on.

The Young has a lower NZTYA number than the Ross, this would suggest the Ross is a better performer. However theres not much in it.

There is a larger Ross fleet out there, so if your looking to sail next to similar boat your choice is restricted. I see the Ross has a bulb, so that would put it outside the class specification as approved by NZTYA, so it would need a 'modified' NZTYA number to race in trailer yacht events.

The Ross is a well proven racer and cruiser.

I love these comparison threads. The Ross 780 was my dream boat for awhile before I got interested in multis. They were an expensive item back then (20 years ago) but bloody good value now. Did you look at the one for 15k a few weeks back?

If you could find one an Elliott 780 would be worth a look too, they are quick but probably a few more bucks. Look at Erazer giving the sportsboat shorthaul yachts the hurry up in last years Simrad.

methinks jh was attempting humour

Both good, since racing is your thing look at where you'll get the best competition.

Hey Brooker - The Ogre's on the money. Jordan being funny. He's a bloody good lad (but don't tell him that)

I've only sailed the Ross 780 'Electra' - an extremely good wooden version. Good boats. Our late mate Rene Den Ouden was the guru

Wotcha talking about you snot faced little turd?

Like that????

that should have been "spotty snot faced little turd", standards can't be allowed to slide you know

The Rocket 780's are more common in Australia than NZ where they compare speed wise with the Elliott 780's and are a tad quicker than the Ross 780. Maybe that is not the case here with the earlier ones and there are not many here to really compare. The R780 would have easier resale as it is much more widely known in NZ.

From racetrack the Ross looks to be one of the faster 780s. 0.7461 is a pretty good number for a little boat.

Can't quite make out the name of the young in the trademe photos to try and look it up on racetrack though...

Having owned both in AUS. I can say the Youngs here are quicker than the Ross's but the the ease of sailing and the accommodation of the Ross leaves the Youngs for dead.

Ross Boat all the way.... I have a wooden one and have cruised with my young family on lake Rotoiti for the last 3 summers with no issues only good times. Easy boat to sail but also pretty quick for an old tub. The best part is if it was a class boat there are plenty of others to line up next to.

We have a new class being announced very soon.

7.7 mtr ply trailerable. Available at any stage including 'Flat Pack'. so you can build your own.

Design is based on the open 40 but a much smaller model.

The idea is to enable owners to get into an affordable boat that will be able to obtain Cat 3. or Cat 1 if you are keen. Designed to suit Short Handed sailing too.

The first is due to start construction this week and we have 2 more owners ready to go.

An official announcement and promo is not far away which will include construction photos.

We have a new class being announced very soon.

7.7 mtr ply trailerable. Available at any stage including 'Flat Pack'. so you can build your own.

Design is based on the open 40 but a much smaller model.

The idea is to enable owners to get into an affordable boat that will be able to obtain Cat 3. or Cat 1 if you are keen. Designed to suit Short Handed sailing too.

The first is due to start construction this week and we have 2 more owners ready to go.

An official announcement and promo is not far away which will include construction photos.

I'd be keen to understand all the costs, rig requirements etc. In the current market it may be better for me to move the rig and fittings from Infiltrator to a new hull and bin the old one.

I would be keen to get any info floating around as well, in the same thought at infiltrator, do you throw away the existing hull and use the bits on a new build? given the coyote is a 7.7 already most of the gear you would think would be at the right size

Archived