What do you suggest?

Scubash

Trish's reactor doesn't have keel floors in the traditional sense, and realize more on the triangle affect of the hull skins and the boats sole. both if these items were heavily reinforced for her quest. As well as the rigging attachments and several other areas.

What ever boat Ash chooses will need a structural review in all areas.

to say any boat is ready to go offshore is wrong in every sense

I would be looking at a Trojan 750, the fixed keel type. The one I used to have went very well and was a lot of fun to sail. She is a good balance of racer/cruiser if you want both. I would choose her over a Tracker which I think is a bit more cruiser by comparison.

Definitely worth stretching the budget to a 25ft+ yacht if you want to go further and also be comfortable.

been trying to kill a 727 for years...cant seem to. going try again soon!

a grounding, races where the wind scared off bigger boats (gold cups). ripped a backstay off the mast, windex blew off. broken spinnaker pole just under compression...ok it was under engineered. 13 knots with a bit of water in the boat (bunk boards floating :wtf: ) 16.8 top speed with number 2 headsail, may have beaten that since but didn't look down...., countless crashes into/off waves. many many round ups, never a Chinese.

it might work.

Sorry forgot the obvious one and most ideal --a wooden Nova a good two skin kauri glassed one just sold for $8000. Check Capt John Mansells exploits if you want to know how they go - three race at Milford and well offshore capable. In fact Innovator of Mana is still lying unloved on the hard in Tauranga. Already done the race and the Transat!!

Sorry forgot the obvious one and most ideal --a wooden Nova a good two skin kauri glassed one just sold for $8000. Check Capt John Mansells exploits if you want to know how they go - three race at Milford and well offshore capable. In fact Innovator of Mana is still lying unloved on the hard in Tauranga. Already done the race and the Transat!!

Funny you say that as I was looking the other night at the Nova's.. :wink:

Geez Ash .... you should know by now that if you ask 10 different sailors what the perfect boat is you'll get at least 20 different opinions :)

Geez Ash .... you should know by now that if you ask 10 different sailors what the perfect boat is you'll get at least 20 different opinions :)

Well now you know all about my little evil plan! :shifty: :shh: :wink:

You could always consider this one if you are prepared to put in some effort! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-332576626.htm

A tragedy that it has been let go to the state it has, & it may well be unrecoverable, but if they are asking $40k for the one below, then the one above must surely be worth a much, much lower offer. They will be paying to get rid of it soon.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-573214581.htm

Jeezz, the photos of that 1104 are heart breaking! Sad to see someones pride and joy like that. You always wonder the circumstances that lead to that.

Yep, what a shame, these can be great boats!

Should be paying to get rid of it now! If the other one is only 40 K...

If they gave it to you - and boats are ALWAYS worse than they look - I don't reckon you could match the condition of the 40k one for the same money...

Remember she wants a Cat one - for a race. New standing rigging, probably all new sails (if they are like the boats condition) new running rigging. Whats the situation with the engine. Then, due to age, have to budget for Keel removal/checking, is there rot in that floor and frames? Windows are all leaking, what are the chain- plates like, is there a suitable mount or location for an inner fore stay for storm sails..The list goes on and on and on...

Tread very carefully here, it could be a total disaster. $35K! :roll:

machine Gun was a very well made and well maintained boat last time I saw her.

The problem is she has a wooden deck and cabin on a glass hull. So the years of fresh water may have taken its toll.

Mind you if you do the numbers and get her cheap and spend 70-100K you may end up with something that fits your purpose perfectly for under $130k.

Then again you can go to Greece and buy a nice Beneteau 36/7/40, or Jeanneau... lightly used, 2000+ yacht for €40-80 plus taxes (maybe). There are over 3500 great yachts on sale throughout the med.

She asked for suggestions up to $10k, and you lot are up to $130k?????

Thanks Ogre!

Yeah 130K :crazy: is just a tad bit out of my price range..But I may be able to push it a bit higher to 15k for the right boat. But in reality I need all the extra money I can save to fix her up to Cat 1.

Hey Scubash. Yep, you can get a boat for that. But sorry, it will be really difficult to get one that will pass cat 1 inside that budget. I won't tell you what my 1st cat 1 cost :cry:

But, don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps a non NZ reg? Or look offshore where boats have even been given away - and have a year off, sailing home. (If you can prove the boat was free, no duty to import)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freesailboats/ and there are others.

Hey Scubash. Yep, you can get a boat for that. But sorry, it will be really difficult to get one that will pass cat 1 inside that budget. I won't tell you what my 1st cat 1 cost :cry:

But, don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps a non NZ reg? Or look offshore where boats have even been given away - and have a year off, sailing home. (If you can prove the boat was free, no duty to import)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freesailboats/ and there are others.

+1. Offshore for 10 K = :oops:

I have listed a Davidson 28. In Nelson, on another thread. Now that is a real good buy. Am tempted myself.

Archived