What do you suggest?

Scubash

The RH pocket rocket has a fixed price of $7.000 at Tme for the next 3 days.

Yes I know, but I cannot buy in the next 3 days even if I wanted! :crazy:

my 2cents worth

my call for you would be the tracker

fin keel version

Make that now 4 cents worth, have crossed Cook Strait at least 30 times in one, from wind speeds of 0 to 35 knots and 5m swells. Very predictable and plenty of room. we used to go away for up to 3 weeks with 3 adults on board. Only once ever felt uneasy in it when we got caught by local weather conditions and a rip in the strait but that was when we hit 15 knots while going sideways down a 7m wave..... I know the wave was at least that big because it was higher than the mast :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they have a few that race in Auck and are a class boat. Lots of different interior set ups as lots were finished off, if not built, at home.

:wave:

Would you do the Transtasman Solo in it? :think:

In their day the Trackers used to race to Fiji and they would be just as capable as a Reactor.

See this article from Zoe http://sailracewin.blogspot.co.nz/2010/01/solo-trans-tasman-race-new-plymouth-to.html

I had a Tracker as my first keeler and it was perfect for us. A Tracker in good condition can handle most conditions thrown at it. They are an incredibly forgiving boat. Race wise it was much slower than a Piedy. We could keep up with a 727 with a decent breeze and beat a Reactor when it got choppy. It certainly wasn't a stunner performance wise but we were class racing so it didn't matter. As a cruiser it was hard to beat size for size, more internal space than a Reactor. Surveillance took our family of four away to Barrier multiple times for 2+ weeks at a time no worries.

Having said that I've seen five people clamber out of a Piedy at Smokehouse bay so anything is possible. I'm glad it wasn't my daughter in there :D

Guest Saturday Night Special
Tracker to Fiji? Really?

The major Ocean races used to be full of boats around 30 odd ft

Alright my turn and ……..I’ve also got a boat for sale!

I have just purchased a Tracker for a lot of the reasons given before me on this thread. Excellent value for money, but be prepared to spend more to get it right in your eyes or maybe even race category.

Initially I had a very limited budget and brought a S&S24. Which my wife then painted (great wife!) and this year Northland Spars replaced all the standing rigging. We have raced her two handed in 30knots, cruised a week with a 3 and 5 year old and gone fishing in the evenings. Brilliant boat and she came with a late model 15hp and unused new main. BUT …… a small kitten could not be swung in her!

Now would I take either boat across the Tasman?? Yes and I did the sums for the S&S on a skinny budget of about 15k. 25k in my eyes is more realistic with family holiday at finish (got to keep everyone involved!). Wife says no, but hey I’ve got another 4 ½ years to wear her down! (Along with a new fence, kitchen, car, lets just say REAL budget is a bit more).

Those of you that have one of these neat boats ( REACTOR, TRACKER, S&S24, HARMONIC, RAVEN 26) and like to race, get your entry in now for the SSANZ series.

PS the boat for sale is Glass Spider, S&S24

Got to agree. all these boats REACTOR, TRACKER, S&S24, HARMONIC, RAVEN 26, have all done ocean passages in the past. However, to get one up to cat 1 will be pricey. In good order and well sailed, they are very seaworthy.

If you are considering offshore, a Raven 26 might be cheapest - it has no keel bolts - so you would not have to remove the keel for inspection...

I personally bought a Raven 26 to sail out of Mana, and across Cook Strait with the family. Circumnavigated the North Island in her as well. Great, robust, and roomy little boats, but not fast by todays standards. I think our max speed ever was about 8 knots surfing in big waves. Could not tell if it was faster - no GPS then, and the log only went to 7.5!

If there is any class racing left for these?? you could do a lot worse!

Trish sailed Wishbone (reactor) in the 2010 Solo Tasman - see

Good luck!!

Matt

Not trying to put you off but you can guarantee you will spend the purchse price again in repairs. All these boats are old and most stuff on boats needs replacing after about 10 years. So smallish and good nick is what you are after on a limited budget. Trailer sailers I think would be cheaper to own.

Funny how on these types of threads, the OP gives a max budget, and then all the responses seem to go way over it! :lol:

I know that's just boats, and you'll always want a bigger one than you can afford. But looking at your $5k to $10k max budget, I think I'd advise against a Tracker or even a Raven, because the price you pay for one at that sort of range will most likely be the cheapest thing about it!

With a Piedy, F727, Variant... any of those smaller boats, you'll get a really good example for your $5-10k budget, and the ongoing maintenance costs will be lower.

Piedys really are great value for money, and relativley cheap to maintain. Tracker or raven is a much bigger boat, and I would be staying away from anything with an inboard.

Ok well to get a bit more focused now... I have decided that I want to challenge myself and do the Trans Tasman Solo Race! Although how big my desire may be to want to do the 2014 race, I would be pretty darn stupid or simply crazy. :crazy: So my goal is to do the following race, whenever that will be in 3-4 years time. :shh:

Meanwhile, I can slowly work on whatever boat I decide to buy and convert her to Cat 1. Along side with getting the boat ready, I really need to train myself in feeling comfortable solo sailing and then focus on other races like the Coastal, around White Island and so forth and so on until its time for the Big Mother Race.

Any advice, help, suggestions are all welcome! :thumbup:

Oh and pm for a bank account to deposit donations into! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Round White Island is 8m or longer I think. Though a polystyrene scoop would look interesting on a Raven 26 to get the length :D

"Trish a nutritionist and international speaker has won many yacht races in recent years in small boat divisions and short handed (2 handed) classes. In the 2008 Coastal Classic race from Auckland to Bay of Islands, Wishbone was the smallest boat to finish when only 83 completed the race out of the 229 starters. She was placed second in the off shore White Island race in the two handed division and was overall handicap winner of the 2008 Auckland to Tauranga race."

2013 NOR

3. ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY

3.1 The race is open to all monohulls 8m and over and multihulls 8.5m and over which comply with Clause 1

2013 NOR

3. ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY

3.1 The race is open to all monohulls 8m and over and multihulls 8.5m and over which comply with Clause 1

Oh well maybe they changed it now...booo :problem:

Most races have a clause similar to the one below and if your a serious entrant most would allow you to race. Even if you had to take your own finish time.

3.13 The Race Committee reserves the right to include or exclude any boat or person for whatever reason

Hey Scubash,

I commend you on your intent to do the race, but a Tracker offshore I don't think so, have surveyed a few glass ones where with the canoe body supported by strops I could waggle the keel about with one hand --likewise harmonics (in glass). For offshore a Reactor or suitably modified Raven would be a good bet, and still well within your price range, otherwise the world is your oyster for local sailing -- with the humble Piedy being best value for speed and safety and way better all round cruiser than a 727. Good Luck

Archived