timberwolf

In most places the foam goes in , in quite wide strips up to 1200 mm wide.

So actually its still just vertical stripped but the strips are 1200 wide (and presumably a little less at bow/stern if needed to achieve a tighter curvature). Eamon - sounds like your putting in 'whole' sheets - ie. 2400 lengthwise?

If so I'm thinking wastage is a little worse with Eamon's - though you could use it up in bunks, furniture etc.

It looks as though putting in the foam at 600mm wide strips is going to work out the best.

Wider strips do go in but it bows in the middle of the sheet.

I forgot the airex foam is about 1050x2180 so it was actually only 1050mm wide sheets laid end to end of the float. 1050mm was too short to curve around the F32 float, and my heater sheets are only 1200mm anyway. There is no issue with wastage for an entire build, plenty of places to use up the small pieces. I doubt I will be throwing out anything other than the smallest of offcuts.

Photos attached if they are of any use?? I think I used 8 full sheets for each float side.

post-10418-141887164131_thumb.jpg

post-10418-141887164168_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, I'm gonna keep putting up photo's.

I don't really like Gary to get too many distractions and there are details I would like to keep confidential just at this stage.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have just managed to pick myself off the floor. Confidential details are you taking the pi$$. Whos gunna steal your secrets? :lol: :lol: :lol: come on tim!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I forgot the airex foam is about 1050x2180 so it was actually only 1050mm wide sheets laid end to end of the float. 1050mm was too short to curve around the F32 float, and my heater sheets are only 1200mm anyway. There is no issue with wastage for an entire build, plenty of places to use up the small pieces. I doubt I will be throwing out anything other than the smallest of offcuts.

Photos attached if they are of any use?? I think I used 8 full sheets for each float side.

Hows progress?

Send it I think the two 9m tris are having a bit of a comp to see who can build the coolest floats, bit unfortunate they couldn't pool there resources, typical kiwis :wink:

You are right Sam, it is a shame.

Dan is welcome to use our mould if he wants (so is anyone else for that matter).

But getting on with the job was the name of the game so we can get it sailing again.

I'm hoping Dan will use our Centrecase, Foils and bearings on his new amas.

But really if all you 8.5 guys were truly sensible, you would all be building a Dirty Deeds, because then you would all have the equal fastest boats and your class would get some tight racing. But we all know what Kiwi's are like, eh Sam ?

Dont you worry she will be on the water soon enough and with some luck be a click quicker and safer. :lol: May even be able to keep up the ping tie in the conditions.

No its all a bit slow but we have drawings and are ready to start the floats.

.....just how long are these floats mr wolf ? are you leaving the 9m class ??

if your foam is 600mm wide on average I work out that you floats are rather long ?

or are these details "confidential"..... ?

A 9m class, that's a great idea.

Lets have a height restriction on the rig :mrgreen:

We aren't 9m anyway, we are 9.2m, and despite appearances our LWL is still going to be 9.2m.

But you guys are all such great detectives :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway had a HUGE hands up with the bulkheads, they are all ruined in the autoclave, and are unusable and unsavable.

Latest

Squid whats the first photo? Did you get mixed up, as it looks I you are trying to bring contraband in to the country. :wink: :lol: :lol:

$4k worth of Carbon and Nomex that was laid up as the Bulkheads but got wrecked in the autoclave :thumbdown:

in a past thread there was a comp for worst song lyrics. we should start another for this.

my nomination is a song by ralph harris. tie me kangaroo down sport!

he didn't secure th job down well and it blew of the table and cured on the pi$$

Binblkhds.JPG

Well we fitted a new fan to the autoclave that creates more wind.

The whole vacuum bag is around 13m long and only weighed about 25kg.

Even though the bag was glued down all over to the bed, and taped every 600mm, the wind got under the bag

and flogged it round like a rag doll.

The bulkheads must have still been "wet" when that happened because they cured in nice little circly shaped things.