timberwolf

Is that 'floor', for lack of a better word, in the armas a structural thing, just a floor to stack rum and stray slappers on or a combo of both?

And a part 2, do you actually stick stuff in your armas when sailing or are they kept empty?

And a part 3, the armas aren't designed to move? I.e you can't adjust them in or out or the angle of can you? Just wondering with those bits with what looks like bearings or something along those lines on the top, or are they just the holes for the beam bolts to go thru?

that is a sheer web.

A horizontal carbon and foam web which won't bend on edge, as its glassed at its edges.

designed to stop the bow breaking off sideways.

the amas are kept totally empty, there is no room in them for much at all and are only accessible via inspection ports.

There is no side to side movement possible as the beams are pinned to the deck sockets. While it would be very complicated to make it work the idea of being able to slide the amas in and out is probably a very good one. But my head is too thick to work out so I will keep that bit simple !

a few questions if you dont mind?

1. How are you going to bail the water from under the shear web?

2. have you managed to figure out a clever way of getting air circulating to prevent dampness inside the hulls?

3. how many man hours was the target for 2x completly finished floats (attached to beams) and how many man hours have you taken to get to the stage they are today?

4. How much glue have you allowed for joining the two halves in your weight study?

Those are good questions. Mine were alot simpler:

Which is dearer all the carbon or all the green tape?

Wouldn't the amas weigh less without all the green tape?

Are you going to paint over the green tape or around the green tape seeing as the boat is green?

ha great questions,

Green tape, im not paying for it, but roughly 100+ for a box of the wide stuff, so yes it's up there, but havnt found a desent white pen yet

inspection ports and holes for the water.

tim can put the hours down if he wants, but where looking close

glue weight depends on weather I can keep the viscosity constant, but ive had lots of pratice.

a few questions if you dont mind?

1. How are you going to bail the water from under the shear web?

2. have you managed to figure out a clever way of getting air circulating to prevent dampness inside the hulls?

3. how many man hours was the target for 2x completly finished floats (attached to beams) and how many man hours have you taken to get to the stage they are today?

4. How much glue have you allowed for joining the two halves in your weight study?

Hmmn, your a nosey prick at times.

1. We will have holes to put a long reach bilge pump right down.

2. A few holes and a few inspection hatches but nothing clever. Dampness is not a huge problem though as there is no plywood or wood that can rot.

3. We are bang on budget at this stage and I'm hoping to have both the amas ready to join onto the beams in 6 weeks time from now. So far the build has taken 9 weeks.

4. We have allowed 25kg per ama to laminate and join together but it looks like that won't quite be enough.

I thought you had a 4.5k blow out when everything blew of the autoclave table? (excuse the punn)

yeah Yeah what ever.

apart from that glitch, we are bang on the new budget which is a little under $4k over the original one.

Move on!

at this stage and I'm hoping to have both the amas ready to join onto the beams in 6 weeks time from now. So far the build has taken 9 weeks.

Can I safely assume between you two and occasional friends helping you would be averaging 75 hours a week?

which would mean you have done 675 hours until now and the total project will be around 1100 hours?

No sam.

Gary runs a business building boats.

I have made an arrangement with Gary to build me two amas.

He has agreed to that for a certain price.

It is costing me what I expected and it is taking him the time that we both expected.

It is not the place to discuss private arrangements online.

Your estimate is a long long way over the top.

No sam.

Gary runs a business building boats.

I have made an arrangement with Gary to build me two amas.

He has agreed to that for a certain price.

It is costing me what I expected and it is taking him the time that we both expected.

It is not the place to discuss private arrangements online.

Your estimate is a long long way over the top.

BTW our estimated ama weight is 75 kg

I wasnt asking about the financial arrangements just curious to see how long it takes a couple of pros to build some carbon floats.

Me and George were hoping to take 600 hours but it was more like 800 to do our tortured ply floats with a bit more fairing and painting yet.

Actually you are directly asking about the financial arrangements seen as how they are based on the number of hours.

Tim C, Gary and I would all like to sell another set of amas off this mould.

Me so I can recover a bit of my mould costs.

Tim C so he can get a royalty payment to offset his hours on my design.

Gary so he can recover some of the jigging, mould work, etc.

To get more work off this Gary has to quote.

That needs to be a private arrangement between him and his prospective client.

The example of Internet discussions surrounding berths at Westhaven may be a case in point of some things that can go wrong if you blab all details in a public place. As in lots of discussion raises the Councils expectations of what daily rate that can obtain for their new berths.