timberwolf

The camera angle is probably a little deceptive.

The only differences are:

Old board was NACA 63014 but when it got glued together the glue was a little thick and it ended up about 1 or 2mm thicker than it should have.

On the new board I scaled the measurements back to 13.9% to help ensure it fitted in the new case, and by using a much thinner glue brew it actually came out a very small amount thinner than it should have.

It still needs a little fairing which will rectify this.

It is also designed so that at a later date I can put a trim tab on the back of it, which I would like to do one day as it is a very good idea.

So NACA 63014 is six series NACA? max thickness located 30% of total chord aft from leading edge and 14% of total chord is the maximum thickness?

And that's a pretty middle of the road, all purpose foil? or optimised for higher speeds i.e. a trimaran?

Send it/Tim - what do you think for an Elliott 7.4, gonna bulb her and loose the hydraulic lifting + new foils. Recomendations of a NACA profile? Plus the ram down the gutts makes it way fat...!

EE

I would think on a boat like that you would be using the naca 00 section. The percentage would change depending on how much sh*t you are hanging on the bottom, how long the fin is and your chord length, and what you are making the fin from. most standard seem to be 12-15 percent. The 00 section has a slower stall speed that the others so is ideal for slower boats that tack easily. But don't listen to me cause i know nothing

So NACA 63014 is six series NACA? max thickness located 30% of total chord aft from leading edge and 14% of total chord is the maximum thickness?

And that's a pretty middle of the road, all purpose foil? or optimised for higher speeds i.e. a trimaran?

Send it/Tim - what do you think for an Elliott 7.4, gonna bulb her and loose the hydraulic lifting + new foils. Recomendations of a NACA profile? Plus the ram down the gutts makes it way fat...!

EE

the 63014 has its maximum thickness at 35%.

The Old AC boats around the Mid 90's also used this section.

I've used it a lot on Skiffs as well.

It suits a Faster boat as Laminar Flow sections are about trying to reduce drag at speed.

My literature has it as being ideal on a Trimaran.

They do not perform as well as a Standard 00 section at Low speed.

For your boat I'd start by talking to Kevin Dibley, he worked his magic on Nosaka the White 40, and it is definitely going a heck of a lot better with a new Bulb keel.

E E don't ruin a good boat by making the top Trailer Sailer on the market into a keeler.

Sure, change the foils, but don't remove the lifting keel.

I know it's a grind to pump it up, but once it's gone you'll lose at least $10-15,000 on resale value.

Some of the best sailing (on a mono) was on my Elliott 7.4

Why not try and swap it for an E7.9 then and get a bit more length, then change your foils.

[attachment=0]IMG_0261.JPG[/attachment]

New Official Top speed achieved with new low drag foil.

Was very exciting to drag off the mighty Vodafone after the start like that !

Why is that showing 27kts sat on your floor mat of your car and why are you using your camera phone whilst driving! :D :D

Beer still safe!

I'm not making it a keeler John, just new foils, bulb and ditching the Hydraulic lift as the ram makes the foil to fat. Will go dynex lift to winch.

Have to replace the trailer and not going to build a custom one for a jandal when I can buy an off the shelf one that I can mod to take a bulb easily.

And I want a bulb cos the jandal is a fricken dog, the drag is unbelievable.

Thanks for your concern though :)

EE

Some of the best sailing (on a mono) was on my Elliott 7.4

Massive thread drift I know, but did you know your old 7.4 now lives in windy welly? I saw her at evans bay a few weeks ago.

Tim, Timberwolf did look awesome for the few seconds we saw before you were gone...

DSC07950.JPG

Although this is not a very big improvement since Wednesday night, this is the new Top Speed set in a Rum Race with just a Self Tacking Jib and a single reef in the Main.

Was a really great day to be out there and we had on Board Pete Geary the owner of Akatea. It was a really good day to get him out there on a Multi.

There are a bunch of guys out there planning a 10m Racing Cat quite similar to the SL33's of Team NZ and as well a smaller cousin of the AC45 cats.

These boats will have plenty of sail and be very light so should really fly.

The recent development around the 10m size is great for the local multihull scene.

Saw you gybing down the harbour after your finish, man were you smoking, is that when you got the top speed?

Its interesting watching the leward hull dig in, looks like its reasonably hard pressed before it starts, and it only takes a small ease of the traveller to get it out again.

Thats obviously from off the boat, bet it feels a little more hectic on board :D

Its just a magic little boat on days like that.

I'm not too sure when we got the Top speed, were also going fast at Orakei and in towards Torpedo.

I don't think it is at all "hectic' on the boat, it really felt very very safe yesterday, it probably looks scarier and more nose dive prone from off the boat.

I know if you are to leeward it feels pretty dodgy at times, but safe as houses to windward at the back, but what ever you do, don't over sheet the sails, you can lose control pretty quickly.

Was on Viva last night - you smoked under us like we weren't even there just after devonport.

At after the finish I watched you bury the leeward ama in a little - pop out - jump on the foil and just take off! Seriously jealous mate!

[attachment=0]DSC07950.JPG[/attachment]

"There are a bunch of guys out there planning a 10m Racing Cat quite similar to the SL33's of Team NZ and as well a smaller cousin of the AC45 cats.

These boats will have plenty of sail and be very light so should really fly."

The recent development around the 10m size is great for the local multihull scene.

Is that two new cats you are talking of here tim? the open fleet is looking very healthy!

Actually that speed was just effortless, we were zooming between two other boats, I think MRX's with Ken on the helm.

There is more to come from the boat, I am quite certain of that.

We need the right breeze direction and less waves.

Its gonna be even more fun than Friday... And that is saying a lot!