timberwolf

Hows progress on the port float?

is it easier to fair the hull before putting the fittings on, (i.e. tramp tracks) then grinding the bog off, secondary bond, then re-fair the areas?

or put all the fittings on then try bog and sand around them in one hit?

or is it "6" one way 1/2 doz the other?

so far iv done it one way on the main hull and the other on the beams, both ways seem a pain in the ass....

Port ama is nearly ready for me to collect, just final fairing to go.

we put the Microsurfacer and Interprotect on, then fully sanded that and got it right.

then just grind off in the area of fittings.

we still have to bog detail around the tramp tracks and fitting plinths, then microsurface and Interprotect the patches only.

Then ready for a final undercoat YRA600, then top coat.

Much the easiest way, and once you get all the fittings in the way its very hard to get properly fair (which to me just means it will end up heavier with more paint and bog around all the fittings.

there is no way around the fact that it is hard work, though !

all you have to do is paint them and you will have a mean as CAT .......[attachment=0]Alt_CC20110113m0571.jpg[/attachment]

PROVIDED you have a decent,stiff platform then that idea has some real merit.

It would probably make a real nice cat and that could be an option after we have tried it out in its original configuration.

One of the things I like most about the Cat idea is that I wouldn't need to put a bigger rig on it !

all you have to do is paint them and you will have a mean as CAT .......[attachment=0]Alt_CC20110113m0571.jpg[/attachment]

Nice!

When we built our boats we were so eager to go sailing we decided proper long boarding and all that jazz could wait. 25 years later it has still not happened :-)

/Martin (-9 C so no sailing in a while)

DSC07184.JPG

when we sailed in one design classes you would never dream of racing in a boat that was unfair.

timberwolfs old amas weren't very fair so I would expect just the fairness aspect of the new amas will make a big difference.

But as Martin says if you don't get them fair from day one it will never happen.

Its hard work but its satisfying to know at the end of each days sanding that you are that much closer to the end.

Hey Tim,

Up in the bay and can't see the Wolf yet.

Hope we will be seeing u up here like u thought? U better get Garry to pull his finger out and stop fekin around.

We have the Port ama ready to glue in the beam sockets.

Subject to weather we'll be taking the ama down on Sunday to glue on.

We have to block up the ama to get it at the right height, then check the centrelines and angles are correct, before dropping the hull back down and gluing on the sockets.

Then we quickly check everything is right.

Needs to be a fine evening so that the epoxy has a chance to dry overnight.

Then on Monday it will be lifted off to be finished off.

Both jobs need a few extra hands. The Sunday mission takes longer (at least 2-3 hours) the Monday one only 15 minutes.

Anyone who can help please PM me.

Weather for Sunday is looking really good.

So am looking to make a start around 1300 on Sunday.

Have had a fantastic response from Crew readers.

Which is great because we need plenty of hands to lift the amas and move and adjust the wood stacks.

Can't say it will be very exciting but we definitely greatly appreciate all the help on this one that we can get.

Lift off the ama on Monday will be at 10am.

Am actually really looking forward to it, just a little bit closer all the time ....

Now the port ama is back at work ready for us to catch it up to the same stage as the Starboard ama.

It was a very humbling experience to have so many people from Crew'org drop what they were doing to come down to help me and my crew yesterday and this morning.

Thank you all very much indeed once again.

There are now a lot of people who are owed a sail in a Rum race !

How are you planning on finishing where the beam connects to the arma or do the photos show it knot quite in the right spot? Just looks like a water trap/windage thing could happen there and that just doesn't seem your style Mr W.

But looking very good. I like the side shot and all you see is arma, no main hull, which I am assuming is the tiny hint of green behind it.

Looking forward to your comments re her behaviour pre and post arma changes.

DSC07164.JPG

This photo shows it pretty well after the socket is glassed to the deck.

The cavitys you see in the other photos are then filled in.

there is also a fairing on the beam of the boat that will be extended onto the ama deck once the ama bolt in the

socket is permanently (finally) attached.

The massive faceplant that Sodebo does in the homepage vid certainly still shows the potential for these "wave piercers" to turn quickly into "submarines".