Thanks for your support YNZ

Deep Purple

The Ross 930 association is reforming after a period of inaction. From what I can see (before my time) the old association fragmented when modified boats started appearing and eventually died despite the best intentions of a few. The class is undergoing a resurgence particularly in Auckland but to a degree in other centres too. Refreshed by some new blood the association has a new website and as shown in it's content a new lease of life. 13 boats turned up for the last winter series race and there are more to come.

Take a quick gander at the website if you haven't already. As you can see there are great plans afoot including a General Meeting on the 6th August to reform the class association, adopt rules and elect a committee. http://www.ross930.org.nz

YNZ also have the internet and it's not surprising that they would look at the site as well. There's not a lot of good news in yachting at the moment. The America's Cup debacle, the offshore races that nobody turns up to, the struggling clubs......etc etc. So you'd expect that a sniff of something positive would have YNZ offering support.

So what do you think YNZ would do?

I'll leave it with you for a while......

Stop the clock, we have a winner.

Hi Ian and Philip

The class has not paid its affiliation to YNZ for the 2012 -2013 year.

Please find attached a copy of the invoice. On the bottom of the invoice is YNZ's bank account details.

I would appreciate if this outstanding account can be paid by the end of this week.

If we haven't received it by then your affiliation to YNZ will be reviewed by the Board.

Many thanks for your attention to this matter.

Kind Regards

And people wonder why Yachting in NZ struggles to compete for new blood and retain the old blood.

:crazy: :crazy: :thumbdown:

That's just the support you needed sun dreamer.

maybe YNZ stands for Yankee New Zealand... money money money.

That letter is so pathetic. I would have thought it would have started like this...

Dear...

Thanks for your letter and great to see the class doing great things. We are very keen to support you in any way we can...

And finished...

Oh and by the way, As part of the process we will need to discuss..

I feel a "big Vom" in my throat with their reply.

Yep, thats what I would have expected too.

And would have included "Here is a list of the advantages in affiliating to us that you may wish to present to your meeting or if you like we can send a representative along...."

Funnily enough at our last get together discussing the upcoming AGM, we talked about whether we would affiliate to YNZ

You're kidding. Holy crap that only screams 'show me the money honey'. Nothing there says 'YNZ here to help you' does it.

I was 50/50 re the affiliation last week but can say that's suddenly moved and knot in the favour of YNZ.

Our club has used YNZ as much as possible and they have given us excellent value for money - and the club is thriving. Despite what you might think, YNZ is actually a small group of people working hard to do their job as best they can. I think it needs to work both ways. Have you ever approached them, asking for input or guidance with anything? THey can't be everywhere all the time - but if you proactively look for help from them, they will gladly give it - and wouldn't you rather that they spent their available time responding to keen and willing clubs and associations, than fishing around trying to find groups to help that may or may not want it? Kim and Hamish, our two regional support officers in Auckland, are terrific. All you have to do is ask.

Zoe, nobody has asked for anything, nobody has requested anything. The association does not currently exist. The old website was taken down ages ago. We don't need YNZ help at the moment and if and when we do, we would be smart enough to ask for it but that can't happen till we exist and that can't happen until August. Todays email was not in response to a letter we sent.

So now we have a group of keen owners dipping into their own pocket and giving up their time to get things going again. YNZ obviously looked up their aged debtors analysis, went hunting for us (no time to hunt down people looking for help but plenty of time apparently to hunt down money) found the new website which uses the same address as the old one they had listed (as thats the only place they could find the contacts they used) and despite the site clearly explaining the position and goals of the new association hit the new association with a bill for the old one. And a threat that if we don't pay within 3 days then the matter will be considered by the board no less. I'm quivering in my Dorlons. I may get a copy of the board minutes to take along to our AGM :-)

Are we expected to pay $120 out of our own pocket? They can take it from the 3 lots of $46 they get from me.

As said, we were going to discuss affiliation at the upcoming AGM but from responses I've had here and offline I don't think it will even be on the agenda.

If anyone clicked the YNZ link from the "Association" website, then someone at YNZ may just have noticed redirected traffic from the R930 website and assumed it was all on the go again without actually doing any research or reading the home page.

I don't condone the tone or contents of the letter, but perhaps the actions of a single employee can't be used to trash the whole organisation? It's a bit like that other thread where Westhaven is evil because of one overzealous security guard?

I understand what you're saying there Infiltrator, but to the recipient of a communique from YNZ the actions of single employee ARE the actions of the organisation simply because that's the only exchange they have to base things on.

It is a serious question tho... "what benefits will affiliation to YNZ give the yet unformed R930 association?"

Can't see any myself, but would love to learn about it.

Especially as all the action and work generating interest and enthusiasm for the class has happened without any input from YNZ. We did not ask for any input from YNZ and neither did they offer any. Perhaps the account should be returned with a note saying the class association is not formed so they are welcome to consider this at a bored meeting. The discussion would be excruciating. :thumbdown:

Still got Dorlons have you Sundreamer? Be mostly patches by now wouldn't they?

What is the likelihood of 15 R930's off the start this coming Sunday?

a.f.u

Class Associations must be one of yachting's most endangered species, well done if you can get like minds together. Just focus on the things you can control. Do not sweat the National Authority. The sport is about you.

Yes as Possum said.

Write them a letter asking them what service and /or goods you are getting for your'e money.

I suspect nothing.

Then consider what the consequences are if you say no thanks and carry on alone.

Zoe, I suspect YNZ can help a yacht club a lot easier than a Class Association .

Sundreamer, The reply you have received is as Grinna has said. it is an official response and a very poor money focused demand of a previous organisation.

I would ask for an itemized account of where this money will/would go.

Technically it should be GST free if you received no goods or services. :wink: :D

Poor effort YNZ and poor form.

From ANdrew Clouston at YNZ:

YNZ recognise that the class were in a rebuilding phase and to support this waived the association’s affiliation fee for the previous season. YNZ hadn’t heard from the association since waiving the levy and have not had a response from letters sent out in an effort to contact the association. YNZ would be open to an approach from the class requesting an additional years relief if they felt they needed it.

Any affiliated class is entitled to support from YNZ. Being affiliated to Yachting New Zealand and developing a relationship with them will help grow the class and provide the support they are looking for.

YNZ has five very capable Regional Support Officers, two of whom are based in Auckland. They assist the class and clubs in a number of areas including promoting the class, assisting in running events and connecting the class with YNZ, new sailors and clubs.

YNZ can assist the class in promoting themselves through the YNZ website and e-newsletter, Briefings. There is sub site for each class which can be linked to the classes own website, an online event Calendar and a news section for each class. Recently the Elliot 5.9 class have been doing this very successfully (http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/elliott-59 ... ssociation).

YNZ works alongside class associations to help them run quality national championships by providing guidance around race documentation, helping source qualified race officials, and helping ensure higher quality events.

YNZ affiliated Class are invited to utilise Yachting New Zealand’s Programmes, products and services; including national training schemes, coach education and race official training.

Currently the cost to a class to affiliate to YNZ is $105 a year.

YNZ would like to think people feel they could give them a call to discuss any issues or questions they may have relating to clubs, classes or the sport.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Andrew Clouston | Participation and Development Manager | Yachting New Zealand

DDI 09 361 4021 | M 027 492 4847 | E andrew@yachtingnz.org.nz

www.yachtingnz.org.nz

Sorry, i may be a bit harsh here ( and i apologize if i am), but...

Why could they have not been proactive and said that in the letter in the first place?

Also - If I was one of the very capable "regional support officers" the first thing I would do is look at the list of all the clubs and classes in my area, that have not paid, and arrange A meeting to discuss their current situation and offer help where needed. Or at the very least obtain a summary of their current situation for the YNZ records.

If they are not doing this then they are running the sport blind and doing yachting a disservice.

This letter reeks of damage control and not of an organisation that is proactive and seeks to help the people and market it needs to support its very existance .

I do not thinks it is a club or association job to go to YNZ for assistance every time they do something, and as with my club, we did this for years with little response. Which made us very gun shy.

Do any clubs have a signed contract or agreement with YNZ, in a customer / supplier type arrangement or are these fees purely voluntary?

I think YNZ need to act like a business and sell its services to the market based on a value for money proposition and not expect income because they say so.

Clubs and association do not mind paying if they see some value in the deal ( on paper preferably)

Look at the rugby model. Clubs pay but also get a return from the RFU.

Archived