Auckland Seaplanes

Deep Purple

A H500 is allowed to land its own backyard in Herne Bay, what's the difference with Stanely Point KM?
Shite, that could be a huge list so where to start?

As a tiny sample I could go with

- Nth Aucklanders obviously care more about their neighbourhoods unlike those on Sth Auckland by the looks.

- People are smarter north of the bridge than south of it so can recognise the thin edge of a wedge when they see one.

- The landing spot is very similar in a geographical like location as say landing 1/2 way up the side of One Tree Hill.

- There is a real heliport 15 mins up the road (most of winch is motorway), stop being a lazy fucker.

But the only relevant responses to your question are -

- Choppers are considerably noisier and for considerably longer than a light aircraft so why are you trying to compare apples to pears?

- How do you figure a quiet suburban back yard is a fair comparison to a large body of water next to the center if a semi-commercial area of a counties biggest city?

Stanley point could be deemed too close to the navy dock yards, it's not in the Whenuapai flight lines. But the sea plane taking off up the inner harbour could well be

See old chart attached

post-234-141887226057.jpg

Hello, my name is Chris from Auckland Seaplanes.

Thanks to John Davies of the Richmond Yacht Club for making me aware of this thread. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed at the level of some of the discussion and the threats in a number of the comments –especially by Sundreamer.

First of all, I enjoy sailing and being out on the boat and have been crewing on the Stewards for a number of years. Some of my friends are up in San Fran at the moment, so I have no intention to take away from other people’s enjoyment of the harbour.

Reality vs. Rumour

We do not intend to operate from Westhaven. Our plane is currently berthed at a superyacht berth there and will taxi out into the harbour infrequently until our planned facility close to the Maritime Museum is ready. Our planned operating area is from approximately Princes Wharf north to Stanley Point and largely east of Westhaven.

Seaplanes have been operating in Auckland Harbour since the 1920s. Our aircraft ZK-AMA is named after the first TEAL flying boat, which landed here on route from Sydney. Seaplanes are a “permitted activity” on the water as per harbour bylaws and yes we got approval from the harbourmaster, including an exemption from the speed limit –but only for take off and landing! Some of the “senior readers” will remember that Seabee Air operated until 1989 but went out of business after the 1987 share market crash. Mechanics Bay then converted to helicopter use.

We have worked for two years with Sydney Seaplanes, which operate in Sydney and Newcastle (Australia’s busiest port) to find the best operating area given wind/sea/traffic etc. Our proposed operating area is nearly the same size as Sydney’s and they have paddle board and kayak races in their area every day on weekends, a long beach with swimmers and rentals, one of the largest sailing clubs and a number of marinas very close to their base. Some people need a perspective on what busy means!

Our Aircraft a De Havilland Beaver – is the same as operated in Sydney- and can carry 8 people and requires only approximately 400-450 meters for take off “to mast height/50 feet’, and the process takes about 20-30 seconds. Thereafter the plane is gone. So our usage is similar to when a ferry or other boat passes through an area, thereafter it is available to everybody else again.

Our operating manual states that the pilot can only commence take-off or landing if the required area is free of vessels and while on the water, normal right of way rules apply, with a seaplane classed as a “motor boat”. We are planning all our flights around the ferry timetables and racing schedules. Most of our flying will take place from around 9.30 to 3.30 during weekdays, when the harbour is NOT BUSY AT ALL.

Seaplanes obviously have no fixed runway, so if there is traffic somewhere, we can easily work around that. Under CAA rules we can operate 7 out of any 30 day period anywhere, with permission of the “owner”, so if there are big races and events we will move.

We are estimating 4-5 flights per day and if demand exists plan to operate two aircraft. So the total take off and landing time is somewhere around 4-6 minutes spread over a day and that only on 200 something day p.a. given weather and so forth!

Our aircraft has a range of about 500 nautical miles and we have offered it to the Coastguard and others a back-up for their operations. Six of the seats can be removed in a minute or so, and the aircraft can then carry more than half a ton of supplies or emergency equipment. The doors are built so you can get a 44 gallon drum inside.

With our service it will be possible again to reach Kawau in 20, Coromandel in 30 and Fitzroy in about 40 minutes from downtown Auckland. We think that actually the boating community will be one of the main beneficiaries of our service and we are working on ways to make seats to the boating community available at preferential rates.

You have my commitment that Auckland Seaplanes will work with the Westhaven community to ensure minimal impact from our operations. I am happy to meet for a coffee at the Sitting Duck or in the Squadron at any time to discuss any matter and will address any valid concern.

You can reach me via our website or on 022-1831714. Thank you for your reasoned consideration of our activity!

Chris

PS. Sundreamer, thanks for providing your name and for contacting me directly as you seem most upset, but please don’t stir up the pot with misinformation and threats.

PPS. If you want to be updated or get some information about the operations of seaplanes, please check our website. www.aucklandseaplanes.com

I have recently got back from a trip that included vancouver. There are heaps of seaplane operatig from there, and it is just awesome to be able to wander down to the waterfront, jump on a plane, and fly to victoria or wherever in short order. No traffic, no slow ferries, and it is way more fun then a normal plane.

FFS if they let the ferries tear around the harbour, and knobs doing 20 knots down the harbour in their gin palaces, a few seaplane take of and landings isn't goinng to detract any.

Hello, my name is Chris from Auckland Seaplanes.

Thanks to John Davies of the Richmond Yacht Club for making me aware of this thread. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed at the level of some of the discussion and the threats in a number of the comments –especially by Sundreamer.

First of all, I enjoy sailing and being out on the boat and have been crewing on the Stewards for a number of years. Some of my friends are up in San Fran at the moment, so I have no intention to take away from other people’s enjoyment of the harbour. Great, I enjoy flying and own my own aircraft out at Ardmore. I don't want to take away enjoyment of flying. I'm also as passionate at preserving the right and enjoyment of our "patch" at Ardmore which is also under threat from people and activities moving into the area. PS they are called Stewarts. I have friends that fly a Beaver :-)

Reality vs. Rumour

We do not intend to operate from Westhaven. Our plane is currently berthed at a superyacht berth there and will taxi out into the harbour infrequently until our planned facility close to the Maritime Museum is ready. Our planned operating area is from approximately Princes Wharf north to Stanley Point and largely east of Westhaven. Then my concern as a Westhaven user is diminished. My concerns as a harbour user aren't. p.s. the Museum and Outer Viaduct areas are near useless for boat berthage due to wake surges.

Seaplanes have been operating in Auckland Harbour since the 1920s. Our aircraft ZK-AMA is named after the first TEAL flying boat, which landed here on route from Sydney. Seaplanes are a “permitted activity” on the water as per harbour bylaws and yes we got approval from the harbourmaster, including an exemption from the speed limit –but only for take off and landing! Some of the “senior readers” will remember that Seabee Air operated until 1989 but went out of business after the 1987 share market crash. Mechanics Bay then converted to helicopter use. Remember them well and that area would be perfect to operate your seaplane. They had more sense than to operate in the busiest part of the harbour. Incidently one is being restored in the hangar next to mine, yours?. It will need a bit more than 500 metres to take off however

We have worked for two years with Sydney Seaplanes, which operate in Sydney and Newcastle (Australia’s busiest port) to find the best operating area given wind/sea/traffic etc. Our proposed operating area is nearly the same size as Sydney’s and they have paddle board and kayak races in their area every day on weekends, a long beach with swimmers and rentals, one of the largest sailing clubs and a number of marinas very close to their base. Some people need a perspective on what busy means! Sydney does not have concentration of boats like the eventual sole entrance to Westhaven but accepted you will be moving

Our Aircraft a De Havilland Beaver – is the same as operated in Sydney- and can carry 8 people and requires only approximately 400-450 meters for take off “to mast height/50 feet’, and the process takes about 20-30 seconds. Thereafter the plane is gone. So our usage is similar to when a ferry or other boat passes through an area, thereafter it is available to everybody else again. DH2 flight manual suggests you are sightly optimistic and masts in the vicinity of the Viaduct and Northeast areas of Westhaven are well in excess of 50 feet. Aircraft are rarely pushed to handbook minim's every time http://www.brianandsarah.com/Flying/Beaver_Manual.pdf p.40

Our operating manual states that the pilot can only commence take-off or landing if the required area is free of vessels and while on the water, normal right of way rules apply, with a seaplane classed as a “motor boat”. We are planning all our flights around the ferry timetables and racing schedules. Most of our flying will take place from around 9.30 to 3.30 during weekdays, when the harbour is NOT BUSY AT ALL.

Seaplanes obviously have no fixed runway, so if there is traffic somewhere, we can easily work around that. Under CAA rules we can operate 7 out of any 30 day period anywhere, with permission of the “owner”, so if there are big races and events we will move.

We are estimating 4-5 flights per day and if demand exists plan to operate two aircraft. So the total take off and landing time is somewhere around 4-6 minutes spread over a day and that only on 200 something day p.a. given weather and so forth! You applied for 20

Our aircraft has a range of about 500 nautical miles and we have offered it to the Coastguard and others a back-up for their operations. Six of the seats can be removed in a minute or so, and the aircraft can then carry more than half a ton of supplies or emergency equipment. The doors are built so you can get a 44 gallon drum inside. Honourable but realistically of very limited use unless one runs out of fuel in the flat calm but this has nothing to do with operating in the middle of the harbour. Once again better suited for Hobson/Mechanics Bay

With our service it will be possible again to reach Kawau in 20, Coromandel in 30 and Fitzroy in about 40 minutes from downtown Auckland. We think that actually the boating community will be one of the main beneficiaries of our service and we are working on ways to make seats to the boating community available at preferential rates. Great 20% off if the passenger presents a YC or CG Membership card?

You have my commitment that Auckland Seaplanes will work with the Westhaven community to ensure minimal impact from our operations. I am happy to meet for a coffee at the Sitting Duck or in the Squadron at any time to discuss any matter and will address any valid concern. I doubt either of our opinions will be altered so happy to agree to disagree. Good luck with your endeavour

You can reach me via our website or on 022-1831714. Thank you for your reasoned consideration of our activity!

Chris

PS. Sundreamer, thanks for providing your name and for contacting me directly as you seem most upset, but please don’t stir up the pot with misinformation and threats. I cannot see any misinformation or threat. You're fully aware of the position. My main concern is dealt with. Enjoy the museum

PPS. If you want to be updated or get some information about the operations of seaplanes, please check our website. http://www.aucklandseaplanes.com

Something to think about while enjoying your beer at Jack Tar

Hi Chris, thank you for your measured and well worded response. My view is that the harbour is there for all to enjoy and therefore I am personally happy to hear that there will be aircraft operations there. I miss the TAT/Mt Cook/See Bee Air days. I was a passenger of Fred Ladds as a very young chap and went on to work for a week at See Bee Air for experience many years later. I hope that your operation can add to the "culture" of the harbour by adding to the diversity of the boats on it. After all amphibious aircraft used to be called flying boats.

As a passenger I flew in and out of Kawau on the Wigeon and Barrier on the Goose. Awesome.

Good luck and all the best.

HI Chris,

Thanks for commenting on this topic here.

As a resident of Princes Wharf I am concerned to learn that you are seeking consent to operate 20 flights per day from my front porch.

What limits are imposed on the noise you are allowed to generate and what do you intend to do to mitigate this incredibly offensive challenge to my right of peace and privacy?

Brien Higgins

with our service it will be possible again to reach Kawau in 20, Coromandel in 30 and Fitzroy in about 40 minutes from downtown Auckland. We think that actually the boating community will be one of the main beneficiaries of our service and we are working on ways to make seats to the boating community available at preferential rates.

The destinations proposed make a mockery of the the claim of mid week operation. These destinations are the location of the holiday properties of the people most likely to use this service. These people are most likely to want to use the service to access their properties in the weekend, the time of PEAK harbour usage. The resource consent application for 20 flights per day is the truthful description of the aspirations for this business.

Hi Chris, thank you for your measured and well worded response. My view is that the harbour is there for all to enjoy and therefore I am personally happy to hear that there will be aircraft operations there. I miss the TAT/Mt Cook/See Bee Air days. I was a passenger of Fred Ladds as a very young chap and went on to work for a week at See Bee Air for experience many years later. I hope that your operation can add to the "culture" of the harbour by adding to the diversity of the boats on it. After all amphibious aircraft used to be called flying boats.

As a passenger I flew in and out of Kawau on the Wigeon and Barrier on the Goose. Awesome.

Good luck and all the best.

Yeah I'm in there with you AA, sounds great. Flew into the Sounds from Wellington (Paraparaumu?) to meet up with a mate on a boat a few times, it was a great service. Should give people another option for getting to the Yacht from downtown Akld.

http://www.caa.govt.nz/aerodromes/Proposals/Auck_harb_aerodrome.pdf

Maybe good maybe bad, the concept sounds good but i don't believe all is out in the open especially when comments are made "but i was told they spoke with you" and the answer "yes but not about what you have just mentioned".

Whats a water aerodrome ?

See the link and if you want submissions need to be made my the 20th.

Me, cannot see how this can "safe" with how busy this part of the harbour is, especially on days the flights are likely to be in demand.

Ferry them up past the bridge.

Thought this was about seaplanes?

While the sight of them would be awesome it might get a little crazy during summer but it would be awesome if they were to find a good way to work around it...I would love to fly to Kawau in 20 minutes to join some mates or even the Barrier.

Back on topic..... there isn't an aerodrome in NZ that has multi-storey buildings, oil tanks, schools, critical arterials and public spaces directly bordering approach and departure. I'm not anti-seaplane, there is ample room in Schoal Bay, Hobson Bay, Herne Bay for their operations with safe approaches but instead they want to cut a swathe across the inner harbour. If it was Ports of Auckland then there would be open warfare. If you can't see the risk in operating a 50 year old aircraft thats been that been all around the world and used for everything from an African hack to a topdresser directly into a city then you are more stupid than i've been told and thats some accreditation

So, can anybody tell me why racing or any other type of yacht should take preference in harbour activities?

Regardless of how they might structure their tax affairs and what false accusations might be levelled against them in public by accountants.

but why in the middle of the busiest part of the harbour

Why not? Is there a law that states nobody else can use the harbour but yacht racers? It can surely be managed well for the benefit of the whole of Auckland, but some selfish people feel they have a god given right to exclusivity.

Are they building new Beavers now or is this an original? I can remember riding in one of these when I was a kid in the Wairarapa and they were used for top dressing. We used to be allowed to go for the last ride of the day if the load was a little short. That was over fifty years ago! It must have done some work. I would have thought engine noise may have been an issue.

ZK-AMA

Originally one of several operated by the Air Force of Ghana from 1961.

It was purchased by Aerial Agriculture of Australian and converted to an aerial top dressing aircraft around 1974. But a sudden fluctuation in the Ozzie ag industry saw the aircraft parked up for around ten years before it was refurbished and listed as VH-HAQ - went onto floats and operated in Queensland between 1984 and 1989.

It then moved back to Canada as C-GBVR and remained operational there (still on floats) until sold to NZ at the end of May.

Archived