Safety Inspections for foreign flagged boats

I just watched a thoroughly biased piece on TV3 where some pimple faced dipshit lawyer says we should be putting foreign flagged boats through a Cat 1 inspection.

They provided no counter opinion which makes me wonder if Joe Layperson would watch it and go "what a good idea".

We tried it because Russell Kilvington was trying to justify his salary, it got tested in court and thrown out leaving MNZ with egg all over their face. It is unworkable and illegal. How do we get that message across.

In light of my recent issues with the mainstream media it made me angry, so thought I'd vent off here.

Try not having a TV squid. It works a treat :thumbup:

I haven't seen any wank fests for years now. Just think, if enough people didn't have TVs, TV 3 might go bust or something.

There is a fundamental problem with journalism in NZ. I have never seen so many typos and grammatical errors as on the current news websites. I lost all respect for the media after the Chch quakes. John Campbell's outfit was operating just up the road from the house we took over. They had a coffee cart and maybe half a dozen mint as land cruisers, doing nothing. We had one very old Suzuki vitara and some push bikes we scrounged via Facebook. We were getting the water supply back on, John Campbell was using up valuable resources and talking complete sensationalist sh*t.

The primary issue is that the majority of the community form their opinions based in what the main stream media says, and it is always wrong, as in this story.

Just found you can leave comments at the bottom of the story on the link above, here's mine

A Law change probably would not have saved Nina.

Why did your report not include any comment from the international visitors who would be disadvantaged by such a law?

This was tried a while ago by Russell Livington, it was tested in the high court and found to be illegal, unworkable and contrary to international treaties NZ has signed. MNZ were left with egg on their faces and looking like blithering amateurs.

Bury the idea quickly.

feel free to join in. Maybe YNZ would have a comment?

http://bsa.govt.nz/complaints/making-a-complaint

This could make you feel better Squid. Make a complaint with the broadcasting standards authority. There were enough factual inaccuracies in there, lacked balance and was complete horse sh*t.

Was that pimply faced lawyer actually wearing a cardigan?

What's the story with the warped boat? Boats are supposed to have curves in them, where did they get warps from.

Note they were questioning if they had a sat phone, then stated the last known position was derived from a cell phone position :think: didn't know my cell phone would work mid Tasman.

I just watched a thoroughly biased piece on TV3 where some pimple faced dipshit lawyer says we should be putting foreign flagged boats through a Cat 1 inspection.

They provided no counter opinion which makes me wonder if Joe Layperson would watch it and go "what a good idea".

Excluding that Russ dude I'm struggling to see bias or incorrect facts. I do see an opinion you obviously don't like.

Will people think it's a good idea? Of course they will from articles like that, you yourself are a good testament that people are willing believing media articles that are marginal and loose with the truth so you can't really blame others for doing the same.

You astound me KM.

How about the headline.? Law change could have saved Nina - Since no one knows what happened to Nina how can anyone suggest a law change that would have saved her? Yet that is used as a pillar of support for inspecting foreign flagged vessels. Did the wet behind the ears lawyer do any research to actually show that inspections would make a difference? Easy enough to find the % of foreign (not inspected) boats leaving NZ (not arriving) that needed assistance vs the % of NZ (thus inspected) boats. I seem to remember this was done at the time of the Rule 21 debacle and the foreigners came out ever so slightly ahead.

As to the bias - where was the counter opinion? Where was the interview with foreign skippers who would be adversely affected by such a change? Where was a voice of reason pointing out how utterly unworkable such a law would be, even if you could get around the illegality of it?

By your own admission of course Ogre you agree with KM but of course with your own biases you don't see it.

You admit that know one knows what happen to Nina and whilst you rightly point out there's no proof a law change would have saved her, you must also therefore acknowledge that there is no proof a law change would not have saved her.

Thus, the headline that a law change "COULD" have saved her is completely correct.

I make that KM 1, Ogre 0.

Carry on

By your own admission of course Ogre you agree with KM but of course with your own biases you don't see it.

You admit that know one knows what happen to Nina and whilst you rightly point out there's no proof a law change would have saved her, you must also therefore acknowledge that there is no proof a law change would not have saved her.

Thus, the headline that a law change "COULD" have saved her is completely correct.

I make that KM 1, Ogre 0.

Carry on

:D :D :D beautuifully said

Semantics and distracting from the issue, which I'll restate clearly:

Any attempt to reincarnate rule 21 would be a disaster for all cruising sailors who travel to another country, including NZ cruisers departing NZ.

After the trial MNZ stopped enforcing Rule 21 but it has never been "removed", and as we have seen there are people out there who would like to see it reinstated.

Recent changes at MNZ are not encouraging in this regard. (I hope Jim is enjoying his retirement)

It is in the best interests of all sailors to shout out a loud and clear NO every time this issue rears its ugly head.

Probably not, but here, from my own fallible memory the story so far:

Winston promises 1000 more policeman. MoT is disbanded and traffic cops become policemen. This leaves some peripheral activities of the old MoT homeless. A new bureaucracy is created called MNZ to deal with things nautical. A chap called Russell Kilvington is given the job of running it. By his own admission he hasn't been on a boat of any sort in his life, but he has a degree in writing rules.

(My opinion) he feels obliged to write a rule or two to justify his salary. Rule 21(??) says foreign flagged pleasure vessels must undergo full Cat 1 inspection before they can depart NZ. teh rule is introduced without warning in the middle of the season so some hundreds of visitors are "trapped" here. They complain vociferously. NZ is boycotted by a large percentage of the cruising fleet.

One brave American (whose name i don't remember) sails to Noumea without clearance, then deliderately sails back to get arrested so the issue can be tested in the courts.

The high court rips MNZ a new rear end for writing a rule that contravenes international treaties we are signatory to (SOLAS?), and is totally unworkable.

MNZ stop enforcing the rule but leave it on the books saying they'll look at it again sometime.

Life goes back to normal.

To give them credit the NZ agencies are most of the time very fair and reasonable (eg Boat Alexandra). But to maintain the freedom we currently enjoy to sail from place to place it is important to jump on this sort of nonsense and send a loud message that it will not be tolerated.

The big fear is that if NZ does this, then every other country with a coastline will jump on the bandwagon, but they will never agree on what standards to apply creating a minefield of rules and reguolations that will kill international cruising.

Don't believe they could be so stupid? In Aus each state has its own rules and they are all different. Yes, sail from NSW to QLD and your "legal" boat could become "illegal" overnight.

And these are the reasonable places, what about third world tinpot dictators. Heaven help us if the Latin Americans hear of this, or Fiji.

ANd to increase the level of anxiety I keep getting off air messages about the changes at MNZ that are very disconcerting. With the retirement of Jim Lott I wonder if there is anyone there with small recreational sailboat experience. Hell it has been suggested to me that even the commercial seamen are being replaced by bean counters.

Russ Rimmington, Quoted by the TV news, who? what? where? is this guy cuming from? Does he have a history in yachting? famous? does he have contact with anyone who actually has seen Nina, or can state as to the actual condition she was in?

It is said that she had no radio, does anyone actually know? contact with Bob Mc Davitt was by Sat phone, isn't it optional for a NZ boat to have a sat ph, or SSB.

Someone needs to be able to back up some of these unfounded statements, if they are going to be used to attempt to re-introduce cat1 for foreign vessels

Back in the 80's he sailed 12ft skiffs and owned a half share in a noelex 25 that I sometimes crewed on mainly with the other owner but we did do a nationals at tauranga once ( and won the only race with breeze)

Not much to add to that but I wouldn't call him thick. Probably the last mayor Hamilton had that wasn't

My original post was saying I found it funny at the way Ogre thinks news articles he disagrees with are lies and tripe yet he likes many that are obviously 100% bullshit and have no counter opinion.

As to checking offshore boats I personally would like to see them given a once over and any failings mentioned to the skipper but have nothing compulsory about them being remedied. At the same time a list of all safety gear the boat has and a note taken about the crews apparent skills also taken.

That will do 2 things -

One is alert the crew to any potential issues as it's knot uncommon to see them overlook stuff due to slow deterioration or as they have been 'in port' for a while something may have just been overlooked. It happens to us all and at times it's only a comment from a 3rd party that alerts/reminds us to fix it. If they choose knot to so be it, good bye sail safe and we hope you make it. So a once over can only be positive for the boat.

Secondly the list of safety gear will help NZ save money when it comes time to suss for boats. If one goes missing and the aircraft see's floating wreckage then checks the boast gear list to find no liferaft, the aircraft can just turn around and come straight home as we'll know the crew is fish food and knot floating around waiting to be found. Just think of the saving for the NZ taxpayer.

So a check would be a win-win situation for everyone as opposed to the current hit and hope method that will have cost lots of people time, money and their lives. All depends on what your priority for the tax dollar spend is I suppose.

Archived