THE COMMON SENSE OF YACHT DESIGN..

BelowPAR

I would be thrilled to get my hands on a copy of THE COMMON SENSE OF YACHT DESIGN.

Would anyone have a copy i can take a look at?? Or point me in the right direction.

Im a second year mech eng student into that sort of stuff. Spent the last few months reading Marchaj if anyones heard of him.

Also does anyone know anything about this title? Worth having?

CLASSIC NEW ZEALAND YACHTS; BILL ENDEAN: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =295366725

Thanks heaps.

Got the Classic NZ yachts from library in front of me.

It has line drawing of hulls and sailplans, but is pretty light on detail. 3,4 pages on each design with some anecdotal stuff on sailing.

Try the Auckland City Library. If its Hereschoff's collection of articles, then it was there a few years ago. It's in the basement so you have to order it online or at the desk.

had a lot of success by hitting the hard to find bookshop in onehunga, just duck in while in the area, you may also want to include "yacht design and planning" along with "boatbuilding' by Howard Chapelle, both are well grounded common sense books, Classic Yachts is more a personal overview of AK yachting by Bill Endean, however it is pretty accurate and covers the golden years of NZ yacht design well.....grab it while you can as it'll be another "little ships"and unatainable before too long. "common sense" is a great read

Commonsense is a collection of articles from Rudder magazine in the 1920's?/ 30's mostly. Its quite a fun read , written in the typical LFH curmudgeonly style.

I think the Endean book is a must have, but then I think any NZ nautical book is. Like the others say its full of some nice drawings and info/ background on our 20th century nz boats..

Little Ships...... I remember those selling for up to $250 each in the 80's. Now ... about $50 or so I'd think. Its a romantic sort of look at the classics written just post war IIRC. In all probabilty its mention is likely to draw some comment shortly.( or when its discovered by the lurking historian) :D

Other good ones.

Carrick and Johnson?... John Alden designs. Great sailplans ( all classics of course)

Bob Perry's book. A lot more modern data .

I have Common Sense but haven;t seen it for a long time (stuff in boxes). I'll have a look.

Thats the case for more than half the country...

Is it what..! Let me know how you get on.

Cheers for those extra titles aswell, will look into them over the next few weeks. Holidays in 2 weeks so perhaps a trip to hard to find and the library!

Archived