What is the allround best of the best mooring area in Akld?

Zozza

Money no object.

Even the most expensive mooring to buy (if you don't rent) is less than the cheapest marina per annum.

Thanks in advance guys for your thoughts.

My pick would be Herne Bay

1. Sheltered from SW

2. Close to Westhaven

3. Not crowded

4. No riff raff

Otherwise the closest one to home and where you sail the most, remember the boat only goes up and down on a mooring so provided you can get secure parking and have a rib for a tender, it really doesnt matter where you park it.

Thanks Motorbike--but surely some areas are easier to negotiate boat traffic wise (jetskis etc), or less chance of going on the rocks in a gale--or they all much of a muchness as you seem to be indicating....

I just looked at Herne Bay on GoogleEarth. Counted 10 boats on moorings. There must be a reason why so few, and none for sale or rent on Trademe, whereas other areas = quite a few available for rent or buy.

Herne Bay gets a hammering in a nor Easter....which are often the big ugly mofo ones when they happen. Otherwise good.

Don't Okahu and Hobbs also get a hammering in a nor easter?

Herne Bay gets a hammering in a nor Easter....which are often the big ugly mofo ones when they happen. Otherwise good.

Don't Okahu and Hobbs also get a hammering in a nor easter?

Yes but they are hardly premium mooring areas either!

The Tamaki River near PYBC

- Sheltered water (and not much fetch)

- Central to the Gulf - Only 30 to 45 minutes to the barber's pole

- PYBC has great and reasonable facilities too with work berths (with power and water), a jetty for loading the boat, dinghy lockers and a haul out yard

The one your insurance company will allow, in my case Big Shoal Bay or Stanley Pt.

My boat's been at Big Shoal Bay 10yrs and apart from seagull sh*t I like it because its handy for fishing and sailing and has some shelter from winds of all directions.

Yes Stanley Bay looks good. Some cover all around except for perhaps a southerly, but then you have Auckland City itself which should block a lot of that out.

How do you, or anyone else, rate Devonport a bit further along? There is a mooring there being advertised at the moment.

seen some shocking stuff at devonport, spring low with ferry wakes and boats hitting the bottom with every swell. even repaired one that broke its back that way down there. make sure its well out and got plenty of depth

Devo is ok. Good shelter from the big NE, but ferry wake and SW are annoying. Parking is fine and no problems with dinghy on the sea wall. The best thing is that you only have to go round north head and you're clear of most of the traffic, and coming home you don't have to go all the way up the ditch.

I guess panmure has the same advantage but better SW shelter, but it seems a long way if you live on the shore.

I moved from Westhaven up to Panmure last year saving abundle of money joined Panmure club [great facility and people] 30 to 40 mins to Browns island same time from Westhaven to Browns island

Yes Stanley Bay looks good. Some cover all around except for perhaps a southerly, but then you have Auckland City itself which should block a lot of that out.

How do you, or anyone else, rate Devonport a bit further along? There is a mooring there being advertised at the moment.

Where did you see this?

Where did you see this?

It was on trademe just a few days ago, but advert has either expired or been rented out.

Iv'e been on a mooring in Okahu Bay for 32 years and been walkabout once as a result of a Chinese mooring swivel failing, fortunately the boat survived.. Best insurance for any mooring area is have the mooring lifted and inspected every season. The current requirement for fitting 16mm top chains should improve matters for those that don't regularly maintain their boats and moorings..and hopefully mitigate the damage their boats historically do while on their uncontrolled journeys to imminent destruction.

Archived