What would you use?

banaari

On interior wood work that appears to be Kwila.

I'm after a finish of some description that protects the wood, looks better than slapping grey enamel on it (which seems to be what the previous owner(s) did...not setting the bar terribly high here, admittedly) and doesn't require a vast amount of maintenance.

Am thinking some kind of oil or wax.

Opinions, brickbats, thoughts... none of which will be held against you in the morning...

For interior work that looks good without breaking the bank I would suggest a satin polyurethane from Bunnings or Mitre 10. Satin because gloss will highlight every imperfection on the surface. No point using marine varnish inside because what makes it expensive (UV protection) is irrelevant. 3 coats with a light sand with 320grit between coats. You can get stain/varnish now, which is nice if you want to deepen the colour at the same time.

Otherwise go Danish oil or Briwax, just remember that you will have to keep it up. Not hard, a bit of a hobby...but not "spray and walk away"

On interior wood work that appears to be Kwila.

I'm after a finish of some description that protects the wood, looks better than slapping grey enamel on it (which seems to be what the previous owner(s) did...not setting the bar terribly high here, admittedly) and doesn't require a vast amount of maintenance.

Am thinking some kind of oil or wax.

Opinions, brickbats, thoughts... none of which will be held against you in the morning...

Archived