Navigation Systems and current technology

Thanks IT. I just keep seeing all you lot talking portable in your face sort of gear when I've never really had concerns that I couldn't do that so keep thinking I'm missing something.

The issue with a fixed plotter, is that it is not normally visible from the helm.
I have a technique that fixes that easily, it's called poverty. Just get a small boat that the difference between the helm and downstairs is one step, just like mine :lol:

OK maybe 2 or 3 steps but then if I'm that close to something I find eyes are far better and more accurate so that becomes no steps.

Of course its waterproof, can't go there if it isn't! That one is rated ip67, sunlight viewable etc. Same ratings as most marine instruments. Its been there about 3 years now, and done 10-15000 miles. The case is a solid single peice of alloy, and anodised. I have repainted the little alloy trims around the screen.

It does not have to be run from a PC - some plotters have VGA out, that would work as well. Its 1355 USD...

Of course its waterproof, can't go there if it isn't! That one is rated ip67, sunlight viewable etc. Same ratings as most marine instruments. Its been there about 3 years now, and done 10-15000 miles. The case is a solid single peice of alloy, and anodised. I have repainted the little alloy trims around the screen.

It does not have to be run from a PC - some plotters have VGA out, that would work as well. Its 1355 USD...

Ta, I see you said that earlier in the thread now.

Here's an idea for a system.... 12 volt waterproof PC.

Wi Fi sender attached to the PC. Attach all instrument senders to the PC.

Have a Sony Xperia tablet for a screen! Probably around 1500 bucks all up. All waterproof which is definitely necessary if going offshore.

No i don't get much water below unless I happen to leave the sliding hatch open or the boards out so yes get water aboard and it lands on the nav station if I'm not real careful IT.

Hi IT, would it be possible to mount one of the smaller screens on the mast in a tough surround then use it to duplicate the screen of the iPhone which would display the NKE display app. This would get its info from a wifi multiplexer like a DMK unit. You could also send the info to tablet. It could display all the racing info needed at a fraction of the cost of mast displays. Also worth a look is a Nautipad touch screen E ink display from Wemar which i have some prices for if youre interested.