PIC Insurance Brokers Coastal Classic - Fri 25 October 2013

Zoe

Hey Female Yacht Racers,

Due to unforeseen circumstances we are soliciting for an experienced crew member to join Women's Yacht Racing NZ's all female team, the WYRNZ Team Challenge for the Classic. For details, contact me via email and we can arrange a call/correspondence.

Lisa Lewis, Trustee

Women's Yacht Racing NZ

lisa@wyrnz.org.nz

:clap: Its wonderful to see the coastal highlighting the average racers and some of the smaller boats, after all these are the bulk of the fleet, and the media will highlight the big ones sufficiently anyway, its a real voyage for the sub 30' non planing boats, so well done.

too bad

Dear Racing Community,

I regret to inform you that Women’s Yacht Racing NZ has had to retire the WYRNZ Team Challenge for the 2013 PIC Coastal Classic. Unforeseen personal circumstances on the part of our Skipper, requires her to drop out, and while Megan Harris, who leads Women On Water (WOW) Tauranga stepped up to Skipper, there is just not enough time to reorganise the team.

Although we will not make it to the finish line this year, the campaign has provided contacts and lessons which will serve the Trust and women yacht racers as we move to create future initiatives. We wish to heartily thank all our supporters and encourage more of you to get in touch so we may include you in what lies ahead.

Wishing all Coastal Classic racers a fast and safe race!

Lisa A. Lewis, Chief Trustee

Women's Yacht Racing New Zealand,

a charitable trust

That's the WMRT team - Scubash is steadfast in her goal to start (and finish) at Labour weekend.

Scubash - If you guys make it this will have your name on it!

9469303111_6c61f840dc.jpg

Sorry to hear one womens team drop out, however I am sure that WYRNZ will continue with its stated aim to support all the fully girl-crewed entrants with sponsorship as previously advised. Anything to get more girls out enjoying sailing is good as those who have seen my example will know :thumbup:

I would say that the paddle should not be up for giving out if you read the NOR

Minimum Yacht Numbers

A minimum of 5 entries are required to form a Classic, Women’s,

Two Handed or Multihull Cruising

division. The Organising Authority

reserves the right to delete any division not attaining the required

entries.

It has been a very long time since there has been a 5 boats and a women's division.....

Hi Onfire, it's already been discussed as a committee and we are keen to recognise any all-female crew that finishes even if there is only one of them - it's highly unlikely the committee would delete this division.

Lisa and the Trust team got very close, we hope they return next year and I really enjoyed meeting Ash last week and hearing her very inspiring story. Not just because she is female, but because she's making it happen. I entered an all women's team on Cool Change seven or eight years ago, but because it was a drifter and I had responsibilities in Russell (I work with the Coastal) we had to withdraw, jump off at Tutukaka to get a fast ride to Russell, and send my crew on. Looking back I should have said screw it and finished the race but I'd made my promises, it was heaps of fun and a bit extra special and exciting being the only all girls team in the race. It was a light airs race and those few hours after the start sailing up the coast of Auckland with so many boats were incredible - very special times!

Agree with Zoe. It is a very special feeling to be sailing in the Coastal on an all girls crew (gosh that was in 2004!) My only regret was not attempting to do it two handed the following year Zoe. After a successful SSANZ series, we pulled out the night before due to potential extreme weather conditions that we choose not to risk being in.

Wish the girls crew well on their race and hope they have as much fun as we did. Zoe, we have unfinished business, maybe again one day.

Although I know not everyone that has helped me get ready for Coastal reads this, I want to acknowledge and thank every one of you! I want to name each and everyone of you, but I know I will end up leaving someone out so I am just going to say a BIG GIANT THANK YOU to all of you who know who you are. Will need to write a list and have a ponder over the next couple of weeks to make sure I do not forget anyone!

But hey this is just the beginning, a big step to get me started on my way to preparing for the Solo Trans Tasman.

I also wanted to mention I know I said I was doing it 2 handed before, but now we are doing it fully crewed. But the one special thing about the crew is one particular girl (Domenica) who I see has the same enthusiasm I had 2 years ago when I was just starting to learn to sail and did the Coastal Classic as my third race. I constantly try to encourage everyone (not just girls) to get involved with sailing and always hope to get them to share the same passion that I have discovered over the past couple of years. Not only do I have Domenica, but I also have a few other crew (Cathy and Sash) who are very keen and knowledgable from whom I will be learning a lot as they have quite a few miles under their belt and am very grateful to have met them and have decided to come along on my journey! :D

Once again thank you to everyone and good luck to those of you who are also racing! Fingers crossed we get some good weather for he race up and then the leisurely sail back!! :thumbup:

Zoe, great to hear the coastal is going to give out the paddle, I know how upset girls crew in the past few years who have made it up the coast and not got it because of the 5 boat rule have been... maybe that is why we no longer see them out sailing

of course all other divisions with only 1 boat in them will also be recognized ?

otherwise it would be sexist!

of course all other divisions with only 1 boat in them will also be recognized ?

otherwise it would be sexist!

If it helps get more women out sailing and competing on a regular basis then who cares? I for one would love to see more women like Ashley out on the water sailing, and if offering them incentives or initiatives that only they can get then so be it.... Go Ashley :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Zoe, great to hear the coastal is going to give out the paddle, I know how upset girls crew in the past few years who have made it up the coast and not got it because of the 5 boat rule have been... maybe that is why we no longer see them out sailing

Get them to get in touch with me, I'm happy to raise it at NZMYC. I was in involved with the creation of the trophy, in fact I may have even been commodore at the time. I remember the process well, the donee family wished to present a trophy but requested it be given for a purpose we felt had already been covered. After a short discussion, they were more than willing to have it presented for the women's prize for which no previous trophy existed. Even in those days the likelihood of 5 entries would have been a big call and I don't recall that being a condition. In any case the NZMYC and donee family can sort it out quickly. It is a beautiful trophy and the presenting and recognition to the family should be recognised annually if possible. If someone feels their name has been unfairly missed out on it in the past then lets open a dialog.

...Even in those days the likelihood of 5 entries would have been a big call and I don't recall that being a condition. In any case the NZMYC and donee family can sort it out quickly. It is a beautiful trophy and the presenting and recognition to the family should be recognised annually if possible. If someone feels their name has been unfairly missed out on it in the past then lets open a dialog.

Nice one Phil :thumbup:

Archived