Contents Insurance?

broadoak

For the first 17 years that we lived aboard our insurance company, that we had the cars insured with, the house (until we saw the light and retired from being land-based) and our contents insured with, accepted our money and insured the contents of our boat, however after the Christchurch earthquake, they declined to renew our contents insurance. When questioned the stock answer was that we no longer fitted the criteria however if we lived in a house bus or equivalent they would be happy to insure our contents. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me especially after the latest series of shakes when several houses and their contents have been damaged, but not 1 live aboard has reported any damage.

So my question is, does anyone have their contents insured on their boat and if so would you mind telling me what company as ourselves & several others in the same situation are keen to be insured & would be more than happy to transfer all other insurances to any company that would be wiling to do this?

Speaking to a dude down in Wairarapa the other day and he was saying that insurance Co's are refusing to insure anything property between ChCh and Palm North.

I think another big earthquake in NZ, that caused some big property loss, could see people lose all equity in their house.

EQC is broke. Insurance Co,s are morally/ethically bankrupt/not getting re-imsurance...

A boat should be a easy thing to insure :crazy: ... in the grand scheme of things

Thanks bb, I have tried Tower, unfortunately their answer was the same as State & the others. Thanks Matt, we are happy with our current boat insurer its just the separate insurance cover for cameras laptops etc etc, but will give Brian a call & have a chat to him as well.

Thanks bb, I have tried Tower, unfortunately their answer was the same as State & the others. Thanks Matt, we are happy with our current boat insurer its just the separate insurance cover for cameras laptops etc etc, but will give Brian a call & have a chat to him as well.

Archived