Solo trans tasman

Been across the Tasman b4.

Last time I made sure I was insured up-to 200NM from coasts of NZ & Oz. If you sink in the bit between you might not be making a claim!

Keeps the marina's and authorities happy both ends, and doesn't cost an arm & a leg

Good to hear ur still making progress KM.

Interesting RL, many policies that say 200nm, also EXCLUDE that bit if making an ocean passage, so in fact you are not covered as soon as you leave port, until you arrive safely. I advise everyone to check the fine print. If unsure, request clarification in writing from your insurer.

I'm still wading through all the compliance stuff (if I go I will be uninsured), and I believe I now have a pretty good handle on why our offshore fleets have dwindled so badly. Definitely getting discouraged.

I'll be uninsured and it's zero worry to me. If sh*t happens it happens, so be it. Things come, things go and it's knot like can take her with me or are planing on a viking funeral.

Of more concern is the super extreme analisum of the state governments, in this case Queensland, approach to licenses, boat rego, local taxes and all that crap. There is a short window of 'no worries' but then they swoop like a pack of hungry storm troopers.

Just had a mate over there get the 3rd degree and a big wallet bashing as his car had a Qld rego but the boat had a Vic rego. It seems that situation is nearly on par with bank robbery over there. He got pinged by a random Govt wonderer sent out to specifically look for mismatches like that and grab the tax...... sorry fees.

The plan to move mine up the coast for a season to get in some cruising, Arlie Beach and a few things suddenly looks fraught with local wankery and potentially large unseen costs. And on sussing I found the local authorities to be as useful as a condom with a hole each end.

Hey you yacht also has to have 1000 nautical mile recorded log. This is what I have to do. Is it necessary to have insurance. I am going to do round white island solo would anyone else be keen to do the same. Would be great if we could get together and talk about stuff. I have got Cat 1 on the Ant. All smaller yachts you have to be careful about you righting ratio. I had to get an incline on the ant to pass.

Got way more than 1000 miles already, but need to do 500 mile qualifier. Insurance not necessary.

I'm currently trying unsuccessfully to get an intelligent answer on the stability thing (as if).

HI KM

How r your boat preps going now??. Mine took a backward step yesterday when the mast inverted itself with a kite up.

Now own 3 auto-pilots and two Solar Panels and a Petrol Genset, still not sure about the Genset idea though staring a portable gen in the cockpit mid tasman doesn't seem to be a great idea.!! I have been toying with the idea of a small Wind Gen. But the poor boat will end up looking like a cruiser if I keep going down that road!!

Do you know Cory?? the Guy with Atom Ant??

Anyway now have another big problem to resolve with the rig. Stu

That sounds like a bugger Stu. Inverted and went back or inverted and stayed there? Don't supposed in makes much difference, both are far from ideal.

My boat? I think it's still out there. Haven't done feck all recently due to work and other shite going on, including a ongoing medical niggle which is really starting to annoy me. But work is nearly sorted and the house is as done as it can be when you have a 30fter sitting in the kitchen slash dining so next week the push goes back to the boat. If I have no dramas I'm still just inside the timings I've been working on.

2 AP's only so far but I have 2 more I can grab for the race. But with the very helpful assistance of Jono G I'm rafted up, reflector-ed up and got a pile of gear we have to carry so as to give my imaginary mates something to use should I have issues. I'm pretty good with all that safety gear now. Still can't decide what instruments but that will have to happen in the next 2 weeks. Maybe change motors but I'll wait to see if I can get the motor locker the way I hope I can.

Power, yes an interesting one. I have turned my boat into a very low power required machine so I don't really need much. I reckon if I had to I could get by on 10-12amps a day, that's including a short SatPh chat and recharge. Tossing up whether to take the fridge which will take 25amps I'd have to find each day. But I have calculated I could just about make it on 2 good sized fully charged batteries, assuming no fridge, dramas and favorable weather. So my plan is a 50W solar panel and one of those 1KVA Inverter Gennies as a back up. Good sun and the panel will give me all I need but if knot I have the genny.

Cory, knot personally but if you chat to NZ Moth you may find he knows Cory pretty damn well as he is he.

I saw the mighty Atom Ant at he start of the Simrads and she's looking good. The cover goizmo over the companionway looks a little 'out of balance' but at the same time gives her a nice 'I'm ready for business' look. The lads seem to have a grips with what does what so from what little I know and have seen I do think some time inside the last 48 hrs to the start someone will have to go say hello to her keel with a big clear plastic bag. On the way to your boat with the 2nd bag or on the way back?? Don't care, either way works for me :lol: :lol:

If you get over there what are your plans then? I'm seriously considering leaving her there after moving her north. Pop over to do Arlie Beach and Hamo Is maybe. Or maybe some lurking around ..... whatever there is to lurk around up there. Bring her home a year later. So cheap to fly over these days it seems a viable option. Maybe turn right a bit to New Cal???? Just seems a waste to pop over then bring her home a week later without at least sussing the options.

Is there somewhere safe to leave it in NP? We have to be there 14 days before the start, so was thinking to get the clearance thingy then come back home and return a day or two before the start.

Do they charge for the two weeks on their moorings? Does any of the $1,000 entry fee go towards the cost of parking in Mooloolaba? If not not what does the YC charge in Moloolaba? Is there anywhere to anchor (since it seems I will have the dinghy)?

there was no charge for moorings for competitors. moorings were specially laid, and removed after.

having sailed there, I had no car, but there is a car park. free from memory, but unsure of any time restrictions. I'm sure the organisers can confirm all this.

there was a container provided free for competitors to put in any gear ( dinghy's etc) that they did not want to carry on the voyage. it took 3 weeks to get there, and to get thru customs. nothing was organised at the ausy end, I ended up doing the negotiations and clearance myself for the whole container.

As my boat is only a tad larger than your average dingy, No I wasn't planning on taking one. I know people in NP who boat so hopefully I can borrow one for NP. I also found out last night a mate has moved to 10min from the Moloo marina so finger crossed that he can dingy me up at the other end.

KM, the Ausy end - at least for Maloolooba is no problem, you'll be in a Marina. Free for a short period (about a week last time if I remember correctly) For cruising or onward though, you'll most likely need something...

Hi KM

The rig inverted 3-4 feet I'd say, once the Kite was down, and we got onto the wind it popped back. But now all the lowers are all loose and the pre-bend is forward instead of aft, not ideal for sail trim or peace of mind. Am going to take the rig down this weekend and see if its a repair or replace job.

Power wise I did some recent tests.

1) I have 2 x 40W solar Panels , and with them hooked up on a sunny day they give a realistic 4A.

at best that will give you 4x12 Hrs= 48 AH.

2) With all Instruments on vhf/comp light/GPS/Log & wind etc= 1.2A. These will be on for 24hrs a day= 29AH

3) Autopilot (when moving) at the dock draws around 2.5A. However in waves it will draw more than this. IF you use A/pilot for 12 hrs a day this will be 30AH (minimum) . IF you use it more or its rough then you can easily consume 50AH a day.

As you can see the min AH draw= 60AH per day (without Nav lights!!) two 40W panels at best will generate 48AH/Day. So there will always be a power deficit.

My plan is a 230V/20A Battery Charger, which can run from the Genset. But this may only be possible in moderate conditions. If its o/cast for a few days there will be even less available, so charging will become even more essential. So a small Wind Gen might be a good idea.

There are exotic options like a small fuel cell. But those are way out of my league just now.

Haven't decided if it will be a case of coming back immediately or leaving the boat in Oz for the season.

You sure about your AP power numbers, they seem very high and a lot higher than I've seen mine use. I'd think if mine was using that much power we'd be into a hand steering sea state.

You seem to have more instruments on longer than me. But I did realise last night after I posted I haven't allowed for the AIS I want so that may trip me over the edge into needing more input. I wasn't planning on having a full-time on GPS but the AIS unit I want comes with a chart plotter included so it looks like I may get it whether I like it or knot.

Guys, I know power is always an issue. And some of you only have outboards, right? So engine charging is limited.

Power for AP and for Nav lights/radios is critical. I think for you guys with limited generation that the genset Idea is a good one. 20 amp charger is very small though...

Consider this - what does your AP draw at stall (when it can't push any more)? What it draws at the dock, unloaded is irrelevant. For example, my Simrad unit draws about 3 amps unloaded, but can draw up to about 40 amps at stall! It seems to average about 9-10 amps on an ocean passage.

The Solo Tasman will most likely not be calm. The AP and everything else will be loaded.

My suggestion is to allow more charging than you need, get the boat ready ASAP, config it like you want for the trip, then go do your qualifier our in the Ocean. See what works and what does not, and still have time to update the systems further. If you cannot recharge your batteries every day to at least 80%, the electrics will not last a sustained voyage....

Good luck to all participants, and good to see more Kiwi's having a go! :D

Archived