Inboard or Outboard

chic014

I've acquired a 26ft yacht that has had the inboard diesel engine removed. Shaft and prop still remain. Was a Nanni 14hp I believe.

Easy option is to strap an outboard on the back. Could pick one up for about $1000 and away we go. Eventually take off shaft and plug hole.

Other option is to replace the inboard with a cheap diesel inboard, and make use of existing engine related stuff. Don't want to spend too much though so couldn't look at putting in another Nanni 14hp. Could I get things going for the same cost as an outboard?

What are people's thoughts on cost, reliabilty, ease of service/installation, performance etc? What would you do?

Theres no way you would get a reliable inboard for $1000 ,(probaly lucky to get one for $10000) thats why so many older Keelers have outboards hanging off the stern.

What type of Keeler is it?

I personally like the reliablity and battery charging that comes with a well maintained Diesel and outboards look like arse on the back of a yacht.

I can understand those boats with the outboard mounted in the Cockpit Floor but what happens if your Outboard gets submerged when your in a big following sea ?

inboards are way better but hideously expensive. outboards are cheaper but have a number of drawbacks. just depends what the benefits are worth to you...

we've got an outboard now. i'm looking forward to having an inboard someday.

Having had both, I would go for the inboard diesel every time. The outboard is a real struggle to move from up to down position, unless you have a very fancy specially built well system. Also, I happen to have a 10hp Yanmar, about 6 years old, 900 odd hours, that I have removed from my 34 foot boat, as have increased power. Should remain reliable for another 2000 hours or so. Was about to list it on trade me, so pm me if you interested.

Thanks for everyone's responses.Think it will be the outboard unless an amazing inboard pops up.

what do you mean by block up where the prop was?

Was told it could improve sailing performance, the big hole causes some drag.

With the boat I did it to it did make steering astern better.

Black line in pic is the approx. size of the hole filled.

rudder after.jpg

Having lots of experience on both including in hard working commercial applications - OB. Easier, cheaper, lighter, less drama and much much more. Much of what you hear people saying just isn't true thee days. My OB get zero maintenance and is now nearing 15 years old. No similar boat we have seen can motor into what we do. So maintenance and lack of push are a choice, knot a function of the motor just being a OB. But go 4 stroke, they are just so much nicer.

Count the number of threads about OB issues, count the number about inboard issues. There is no contest, OB's all the way.

Besides any inboard is going to take a lot of space out of a 26fter.

Having lots of experience on both including in hard working commercial applications - OB. Easier, cheaper, lighter, less drama and much much more. Much of what you hear people saying just isn't true thee days. My OB get zero maintenance and is now nearing 15 years old. No similar boat we have seen can motor into what we do. So maintenance and lack of push are a choice, knot a function of the motor just being a OB. But go 4 stroke, they are just so much nicer.

Count the number of threads about OB issues, count the number about inboard issues. There is no contest, OB's all the way.

Besides any inboard is going to take a lot of space out of a 26fter.

outboard in a well has a lot going for it. not everyone has that option though...

Might have found a Yanmar 1GM10C that could work, only trouble it has no gearbox as it was a sail drive.

Anyone know where one might find a second hand shaft drive gearbox for such an engine? Quote for new one is too much!

Archived