Who are they?

Who are these 14 NZ boatbuilders who have gone up to help Oracle. They are potentially helping to put the knife into their own industry if the cup stays in the USA. I bet they don't sleep easy at night. I bet they want to remain anonymous . I cant understand their mentality....why do it?

I bet they sleep just fine.

Core, ie Oracle have been employing dozens of boat builders & Engineers for years.

If it wasn't for them the industry would be in a worse state than now.

I give them a round of applause for bringing the work to NZ in the first place.

All the AC45's, a huge amount of work for the Oracle 72's, + all the material sales.

How about Cookson's? Built for ETNZ but they worked for Prada as well. Talk to Mick & give him an earful if you are feeling particularly brave.

Just have a decent head start. :D

I say concentrate on the positive, appreciate all the work, and wait for the trickle down, foils on cruising cats. Gotta be some spare foils coming up soon? :thumbup:

Money versus Country.

Bit of a no brainer when a significant part of the population is not capable of earning a living wage.

Go the boatbuilders.

Power to the workers.

the small benefits you mention are insignificant in terms of what the marine industry will gain if the cup comes back here. If they want to work against the New Zealand team and try and prevent the cup coming back here, good luck to them. Very short sighted.

the small benefits you mention are insignificant in terms of what the marine industry will gain if the cup comes back here. If they want to work against the New Zealand team and try and prevent the cup coming back here, good luck to them. Very short sighted.

Small benefit?

Let me guess, you don't work in the marine industry?

The marine industry has survived without the cup for the last 10 years and it could for another 10 years to come.

Wrong. It has survived with a large amount of dollars from the cup. It will also be a perpetual struggle, unless we take the opportunity this time around to cement NZ as the place to come to for all things nautical racing wise.

The marine industry has survived without the cup for the last 10 years and it could for another 10 years to come.

Define survival.

Baked beans gets a bit monotonous after a while I'm sure.

The overseas spending on the cup has bought in 10's of millions, take that out of the local industry and it would be a lot tougher for a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong, I want the cup here as much as anyone.

But it's a bit ungracious to diss the very guys that have been spending lots of money here.

Stephen C aren't you some sort of journo?

Do a bit of quick & dirty research and get a feel for how much evil Larry, Luna Rossa & others have spent here in the last decade. You might be surprised.

I can't have any hard feelings against the boat builders. they have families and have to make a living. Coutts and OR has been pumping money into the nz marine industry for years.

an in any case its just making the cup more and more exciting which has to be good for yachting and the nz marine industry.

Yes if the cup comes back to nz it will be a huge boost- but if it doesn't they're still using nz boat builders.

Jorno....nope, so I cant get access to that info but It would be common knowledge that between this edition of the cup and the AC45s the net gain to the country and boat building would be a lot more than 30 mill (seeing that the government has had its 30 odd mill replayed already).

I base my comment off this. While of millions of dollors (directly and indirectly) have come in from the AC over the last 15 years to the NZ economy, boat building it has survived through a very rough period and while a number of companies have struggled or gone under considering the global financial environment, boat building is still being done in this country and the Herald reckons its worth 750 mill a year. What do we call boat building? Race boats? super yachts? fizz nasties? Sure 750 mill is a long way down from where it was in 2003...but its stilll 750 mill and that is a lot of money.

would you mind if McCaw, Dan Carter, Conrad Smith went and played for the Wallabies at the next World Cup because they get paid to.The Wallabies have made money for NZ when they come here but we don't want to help them win the next World Cup...whats the difference?

I bet these guys helping Oracle don't come back and make their efforts public knowledge, they will slink away and keep low.

Let's just agree to disagree.

You see guys slinking around.

I see a country of 4 million sending boatbuilders, sailmakers, engineers, designers, riggers and sailors to fill the best sailing teams in the world.

Makes me incredibly proud to call NZ home, and I'll happily buy any of those guys a drink.

Whatever team they worked for. And that's it from me on this subject. :wave:

Let's just agree to disagree.

You see guys slinking around.

I see a country of 4 million sending boatbuilders, sailmakers, engineers, designers, riggers and sailors to fill the best sailing teams in the world.

Makes me incredibly proud to call NZ home, and I'll happily buy any of those guys a drink.

Whatever team they worked for. And that's it from me on this subject. :wave:

+1 :thumbup:

I'm amassed that people get upset about boat builders/sailers heading over sea to earn a living!

I don't see the same people getting shitty at tradies heading off shore for the "big bucks" in Australia

What about rugby plays heading off to japan and Europe !

its Emerites Team New Zealand and Oracle Team USA...its traditionally been country vs country. if these guys were to help Oracle win they would not return to NZ and get applauded for there efforts, they would skulk in the back door and keep quiet about it. They should have a rule that teams are limited to a certain number of overseas team members, otherwise its who has the most money to buy up the worlds best talent. I don't like people who win because they have the most money.

. I don't like people who win because they have the most money.

Dah! It's the Americ's Cup. It's been that way for the last 100 and something years. Get over it.

I think it's a compliment to the NZ industry that they fly in 14 NZ builders, not French, or Slovenian, or who makes Bavaria? German builders.

its Emerites Team New Zealand and Oracle Team USA...its traditionally been country vs country.

Whoa man, you need to do some reading.

Start Here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Cup Competition is and has always been between CLUBS, usually funded by a single billionaire

Then Try some of these to see how many times multiple challenges have come from single countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 6 USA, 2 Italy, 2 France, 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 2 Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 2 Australia, 2 NZ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 5 USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 3 USA, 2 Italy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Louis_Vuitton_Cup 3 Italy

Archived