Who are they?

it is promoted and seen by the public as country v country...how many kiwis would even know what club EmeratesTeam New Zealand belongs to...why do the teams incorporate the name of the country? i think they should look at the issue of team membership next time around if they want to have teams supported by their home countries.

Let's just agree to disagree.

You see guys slinking around.

I see a country of 4 million sending boatbuilders, sailmakers, engineers, designers, riggers and sailors to fill the best sailing teams in the world.

Makes me incredibly proud to call NZ home, and I'll happily buy any of those guys a drink.

Whatever team they worked for. And that's it from me on this subject. :wave:

+1 :thumbup:

+2. The Core guys are good blokes doing what they do extremely well. Ellison has poured more money into the NZ boat building industry than most people can ever imagine. I'd also by the Core guys a beer - and I'm a fanatic ETNZ supporter,

Let's just agree to disagree.

You see guys slinking around.

I see a country of 4 million sending boatbuilders, sailmakers, engineers, designers, riggers and sailors to fill the best sailing teams in the world.

Makes me incredibly proud to call NZ home, and I'll happily buy any of those guys a drink.

Whatever team they worked for. And that's it from me on this subject. :wave:

+1 :thumbup:

+2. The Core guys are good blokes doing what they do extremely well. Ellison has poured more money into the NZ boat building industry than most people can ever imagine. I'd also by the Core guys a beer - and I'm a fanatic ETNZ supporter,

Absolutely - I'd applaud any NZ success, in any industry or sport. A huge compliment that these guys working for Oracle (who can afford anything they want) are flown up from NZ. The whole story of this America's Cup is essentially one of Kiwi success and pride.

From someone who does work in the marine industry, I applaud the fact that Larry has spent so many millions here and employed Kiwis, he could have gone anywhere, likewise the Luna Rossa challenge-- without them and Mateo's money we would not be in SF at all. The contribution that the Labour government at the time put in (36 odd million) has been recouped already in paye and gst, before the AC45's were built!!

And regarding professional sportsmen, consider Nigel Mansell when he left McLaren and went to Ferrari, the English public did not call for him to be hanged instead he was cheered on as the British Lion etc.

Perhaps people who rely on the likes of Deaker for yachting commentary need to get out more, and appreciate what Larry and Russell have put back in to little old NZ.

The AC so far has never been about countries just professionals given the wherewithal to have a go by rich individuals.

Rant over, had an ECG so I think I will survive tomorrows races. :wave:

Cores turnover last year was only $6million, not a huge contribution to the economy. Certainly not enough to offset the detriment if their NZ employees are instrumental in NZ losing the cup. Any the beneifit to NZ in winningthe cup is not just financial.

If the marine industry had to reply on yachts and sailors it would be dead and buried by lunch time. It's a market based on engines knot sails.

150% correct with that

The Americas Cup has never been country vs country. As had been said many times, it was club vs club and originally they were all from the same country - Old Blighty! The fact that in NZ we call it a country challenge is more to do with how little we are. Oracle does not represent the USA. The bulk of Americans wouldn't know or care about the AC.

Individuals have the right to earn a living, feed their families in whatever way they can or want. I doubt they care that you aren't happy with them for doing that. Do you want someone who means nothing to you, telling you how and where and under what circumstances you should make your living?

and can someone please explain why its ...team USA and ...team New Zealand. This spin about it not being country vs country is just a lame effort to excuse self interest

and can someone please explain why its ...team USA and ...team New Zealand. This spin about it not being country vs country is just a lame effort to excuse self interest

iDm28. You have been advised to do some homework regards the history of the cup. You can look it up on the net; you know that thing that connects to the web. This allows you to post on this site and demonstrate your ignorance. It can also allow you to get some smarts.

The fact that you have been sucked in by your own lack of knowledge, is not the fault of the posters here.

To state the cup has never been between nations is absolutely wrong...it started as an international event. Do some proper research!

That clubs are involved now as part of the challenge process is just a technicality...99.9% of the population see this as Team NZ vs Team USA.

q

Here, ill save you the effort of getting it right

"

The surviving members of the syndicate which owned the yacht America, the first winner of what would become the America's Cup (née “Royal Yacht Squadron Cup” or the “RYS Cup for One Hundred Sovereigns”),[citation needed] donated the America's Cup through a deed of gift to the New York Yacht Club on July 8, 1857. The cup would be held in trust as a “challenge trophy" to promote friendly competition among nations, with the deed of gift being the primary instrument governing the rules to make a valid challenge for the America’s Cup and the rules of conduct of the races."

would you mind if McCaw, Dan Carter, Conrad Smith went and played for the Wallabies at the next World Cup because they get paid to.The Wallabies have made money for NZ when they come here but we don't want to help them win the next World Cup...whats the difference?

I bet these guys helping Oracle don't come back and make their efforts public knowledge, they will slink away and keep low.

Or even Sir Graham Henry providing tactical advice to the Pumas :D

It happens idm28. If Larry wasn't spending the money here he would be spending it elsewhere. He spends it here because NZ are at the top of the game. Without this type of spend the top guys would be working offshore anyway.

Get over it - you make it sound like they are traitors!!

q

Here, ill save you the effort of getting it right

"

The surviving members of the syndicate which owned the yacht America, the first winner of what would become the America's Cup (née “Royal Yacht Squadron Cup” or the “RYS Cup for One Hundred Sovereigns”),[citation needed] donated the America's Cup through a deed of gift to the New York Yacht Club on July 8, 1857. The cup would be held in trust as a “challenge trophy" to promote friendly competition among nations, with the deed of gift being the primary instrument governing the rules to make a valid challenge for the America’s Cup and the rules of conduct of the races."

Always dangerous to rely on the combined intelligence of the internet i.e. Wiki. The deed of gift states

This Cup is donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

Any organized yacht Club of a foreign country, incorporated, patented, or licensed by the legislature, admiralty, or other executive department, having for its annual regatta an ocean water course on the sea, or on an arm of the sea, or one which combines both, shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match for this Cup, with a yacht or vessel propelled by sails only and constructed in the country to which the challenging club belongs, against any one yacht or vessel constructed in the country of the Club holding the Cup.

Therefore it's the club that challenges.

OK idm28 you're right, as always. I'm surprised as I'm sure you are, we haven't seen it before, everyone else is a fuc#ing moron & a prostitute. Except you again.

What is required for the rest of crew.org? Suicide at dawn for an immoral lifestyle or a life of self flagellation?

FFS, is the whole world out of step or are you starting to see a common thread here?

Any mirrors where you live? :shock:

from Oracles web site

Professional Sports Team

ORACLE TEAM USA is the American team defending the 34th America's Cup in San Francisco in 2013. Founded by Larry Ellison, the team became America's Cup champions in 2010.

About–Suggest an Edit

Who:

Golden Gate YC (GGYC) holds the America's Cup as trustee, and defends the trophy against the challenger selected in the Louis Vuitton Cup Regatta.

Currently, Oracle Racing is the only candidate to be Defender Golden Gate YC's representative, though additional defender candidates were encouraged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Cup#Challengers_and_defenders

I have family working for Core Composites, and I can't say I ever really thought of them as being traitors...

I see these guys as being a couple of steps removed from the real action... I can't think of a good analogy - but its somewhere between Mr. Rugbycoachman working for the opposition and Mr. Wemakerugbyjerseys making clothes for the same.

I'm proud that NZ is on the map for being so good at this stuff... Oracle, ETNZ, Luna Rosa... all have some 'kiwi' in their boats.

As for the whole 'Team USA' thing...

bornintheusa.png

Archived